Board logo

Fixing wiring to GRP
chrisg - 29/6/09 at 02:24 PM

I have a need to secure some wiring to the inside of some GRP parts, but how to do it?

I don't want to drill holes in it, will those self adhesive cable tie bases stick to GRP?

Any other ideas?

Cheers

Chris

richardh - 29/6/09 at 02:25 PM

little dobs of silkaflex
its messy but strong

eznfrank - 29/6/09 at 02:26 PM

If not get a stanley blade and cut the adhesive bit off and use a bit of Sikaflex instead.

Edit - beaten to it ^^^

[Edited on 29/6/09 by eznfrank]

chrisg - 29/6/09 at 02:28 PM

Yeah, I thought about that but I'm not sure how that would go down with the IVA man.

blakep82 - 29/6/09 at 02:33 PM

i don't think IVA man is generally too keen on sticky bases

richardh - 29/6/09 at 02:38 PM

that could be true come to think of it but let him try and pull it off.................

tomgregory2000 - 29/6/09 at 02:39 PM

i sika flex some 'big head' fastners on the inside of my scuttle so i had studs sticking out that i could fix things to, no problem with sva

blakep82 - 29/6/09 at 02:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by richardh
that could be true come to think of it but let him try and pull it off.................

i mean the ones with just the sticky pads. sikaflex will be fine, but not the normal stick pads they have

jabbahutt - 29/6/09 at 03:13 PM

I used sticky base pads and failed. The examiner suggested removing the sticky foam pad and using sika flex to restick the base to the grp.

No problems with the pass, though this was SVA not IVA. May be worth a phone call to a test station maybe.

blakep82 - 29/6/09 at 03:21 PM

^ you can't phone the test staion anymore, you get a general number in wales i think, speak to someone who's never done an IVA before...

BenB - 29/6/09 at 03:25 PM

If all else fails you could get a little ali bracket, glue it to the inside of the GRP then laminate some glass matt over the top to hold it all in place....

chrisg - 29/6/09 at 04:20 PM

Thanks for the replies chaps, I've rung my tame IVA man and he's suggested fixing some plastic sheathing with GRP, I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Chris

MakeEverything - 29/6/09 at 04:37 PM

I was going to suggest some 20mm PVC Conduit bonded to the rails or inside of the panel. This way, they are mechanically protected to a degree as well.

blakep82 - 29/6/09 at 04:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chrisg
Thanks for the replies chaps, I've rung my tame IVA man and he's suggested fixing some plastic sheathing with GRP, I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Chris

was that the centre you phoned, or do you know someone?

mad-butcher - 29/6/09 at 05:00 PM

now f/glassing over plastic sheathing brings back happy memories of that idiot on kitcar crisis,

tony

chrisg - 29/6/09 at 05:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg

Cheers

Chris

was that the centre you phoned, or do you know someone?

Someone I know, they've decided that testers "don't have time" to answer queries these days, they just put you through to some pen pusher at VOSA who gives you a stock answer from his card. "I don't have that answer to hand, I'll have to get back to you. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't - it's a definate step in the wrong direction if you ask me.

Cheers

Chris