Board logo

Scrap car value?
richard thomas - 13/10/13 at 06:54 PM

Anyone know what cars bring at the scrappy these days?

It's a very sad occasion, my faithful old 2003 Mondeo 2.0 has failed the MOT....I have had it for 9 years and 130,000 miles and it has been uber reliable...I even have the parts to fix it but time and too many other cars are getting in the way....:-(

If anyone is looking for a good engine, it's heart still beats strong....

Wracking my brain to think of something creative to do with it, as I feel quite attached to it.....not sure the missus would appreciate me cutting the roof off and using it to grow flowers in though...

Cheers, Rich.

Wadders - 13/10/13 at 07:05 PM

It changes daily, but was £130/ tonne early last week. Best it's been for a while was £195/ tonne
You have to take the tyres off otherwise price goes down.

big_wasa - 13/10/13 at 07:07 PM

About £150 was the price I was quoted on a mk2 a few weeks back.

You will get more from a private sale as a 2.0 engine will be desirable petrol or diesel.

richard thomas - 13/10/13 at 07:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
It changes daily, but was £130/ tonne early last week. Best it's been for a while was £195/ tonne
You have to take the tyres off otherwise price goes down.

Thanks, didn't know about the tyres.....

richard thomas - 13/10/13 at 07:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
About £150 was the price I was quoted on a mk2 a few weeks back.

You will get more from a private sale as a 2.0 engine will be desirable petrol or diesel.

Might try the engine on fleabay or something then...it's petrol and very strong...

stevebubs - 13/10/13 at 07:21 PM

Got rid of my Omega through www.cartakeback.com . unlike webuyanyshed, it was a pain free transaction with no quibbles or hidden transaction frees.

richard thomas - 13/10/13 at 07:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
Got rid of my Omega through www.cartakeback.com . unlike webuyanyshed, it was a pain free transaction with no quibbles or hidden transaction frees.

Thanks!

Just got a quote of £155....may go for that...

stevebubs - 13/10/13 at 07:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by richard thomas
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs

Thanks!

Just got a quote of £155....may go for that...

That's about what they quoted for the Omega. Guy turned up with transporter, loaded Omega on and gave me a cheque there and then. V5 filled in and sent off. Received a certificate of destruction a week or so later...

big_wasa - 13/10/13 at 08:09 PM

Shame you are to far away I would love a cheap duratec to play with.

Jon Ison - 13/10/13 at 08:18 PM

Banger racers love mondeos, will snap your hand off collect it and pay a bit over scrap.

Eta happy to post it on oval chat for you if ou want, it will have a final lease of life prior to meeting the crusher?

[Edited on 13/10/13 by Jon Ison]

carpmart - 13/10/13 at 08:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
Banger racers love mondeos, will snap your hand off collect it and pay a bit over scrap.

Eta happy to post it on oval chat for you if ou want, it will have a final lease of life prior to meeting the crusher?

[Edited on 13/10/13 by Jon Ison]

This is definitely what the car (in fact any car) would want if it could choose! One last swansong!!

[Edited on 13/10/13 by carpmart]

big_wasa - 13/10/13 at 08:45 PM

even if it goes through the gates it may come back out and find itself on an oval.

Myke 2463 - 14/10/13 at 11:13 AM

Put in free ads £250 with parts to repair.

motorcycle_mayhem - 14/10/13 at 11:57 AM

I advertised my MK1 Mundaneo (1996) on here a while back, 2.0 petrol (silver top). Engine was good (brilliant), body wasn't terrible, just lots of things worn out (discs, exhaust, rad leak, etc.). Just not worth investing in another MoT. No interest on here (just a few timewasting emails), but an Ad on the local Tesco board (£150) saw it being driven to Poland...! Gone.

My MK2 (good engine, etc.) then went via wetakeanycar.com (£160), collected. Safer, certificate of destruction, no worries, no hassles, no grief. Gone.

jossey - 14/10/13 at 12:05 PM

180 per ton here
So about £300

Fill the tank with water if it's being towed n engine full with old oil you have kicking about

Also wet the carpets through

:-)

Or take it banger racing then get rid

phil clegg - 14/10/13 at 05:50 PM

Most places that take cars now have to have details of the owner and pay you by cheque,.They are then supposed to empty all fluids so i assume would not be happy with a tank of water.Its probably about this time your cheque would be stopped,just an guess.I weighed a sierra with no mechanics on saturday £86,any bids around £130 up is good and saves all the hassle.Also no seperate tyre disposal and payments for that as well.

richard thomas - 19/10/13 at 05:14 PM

Now I come to think of it....would love to banger race it myself :-) anyone done it?

big_wasa - 19/10/13 at 06:17 PM

Yep me to but can you afford three months of work if you break your ankles ? Nope me neither.

That's how one racer put me of having ago. They are a funny lot.

richard thomas - 19/10/13 at 06:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Yep me to but can you afford three months of work if you break your ankles ? Nope me neither.

That's how one racer put me of having ago. They are a funny lot.

Fair point, well put :-)