Board logo

What are your top tips when doing a build?
jonabonospen - 29/11/12 at 11:35 AM

I am hopefully going to be getting my chassis and first few modules of my Mac#1 Worx in the next few weeks and am doing more bits of preparation homework before it arrives so I can hit the ground running, and was just trying to find peoples tips on drilling and cutting bodywork, when I wondered what people best tips were in general for a build.

So what are your best tips / snippets of advice / nuggets of wisdom, for when building a kit?

Mr Whippy - 29/11/12 at 12:13 PM

don't forget/neglect the wife (or girlfriend etc) they won't appreciate you vanishing for hours on end

Well...maybe they would you never know

loggyboy - 29/11/12 at 12:16 PM

Have a bank account twice as big as you thought it needed to be.

Hellfire - 29/11/12 at 12:25 PM

Measure twice, cut once.......

Phil

RK - 29/11/12 at 12:26 PM

Use lots of cardboard templates. Don't toss all those cardboard boxes the missus is on your case about getting rid of. You'll need the stuff.

scudderfish - 29/11/12 at 12:36 PM

If in doubt, you probably need more tools.

roadrunner - 29/11/12 at 12:38 PM

Have lots of pencils. It doesn't matter how organised you are, you will put one down, and it will be lost in seconds and you loose hours looking for it.

ali f27 - 29/11/12 at 01:06 PM

Put body panels on after you wired and pumbed stuff makes it easier to get at things

steve m - 29/11/12 at 01:09 PM

The tool gremlins will move your tools around while you are asleep, but if every tool is placed back in its respective place
at bedtime/close of play, it seems the gremlins dont go there

Measure twice, cut once....... is by far the most important rule!

A tidy, clean, bright, workshop, makes for a pleasent build

You can never have enough power points or extension leads

Being organised with the spare parts, keep them in labeled boxs, (i use those foldaway stackers)

At close of play for the day, jot a couple of things down that you wanted to do, but ran out of time, as the following day while trying to find your favorite 10mm spanner, you will of forgotten what was the next job

making a to do list and scribbling the item off, is soooooooooooo satisfying !

must be more,

steve

Mr Whippy - 29/11/12 at 01:22 PM

before you shut the garage door at night make sure everything is switched off

I was very lucky, I shut the door and as I walked away heard a faint whirring noise, turned out as I left the hot air gun had fallen over, switched on and was blowing against some news paper!

oh and have plenty of fire extinguishers, 3 times I’ve had to use them

nick205 - 29/11/12 at 01:35 PM

Take your budget and add 1/3 to 1/2 again

Take lots of photos (for IVA and for potential buyers in the future)

Take every opportunity to sit in it and think how great it will be when finished

Be prepared to have to explain to people what you're doing

sdh2903 - 29/11/12 at 01:40 PM

Bit hard to explain, but when buying components/parts if you are torn between buying cheaper and more expensive/better, bite the bullet and buy the more expensive firsttime round, it works out cheaper in the end and you end up with superior bit's.

I didn't do this and ended up doing several jobs 2 or 3 times over.

Fire extinguisher a must as previously stated.

Daddylonglegs - 29/11/12 at 01:52 PM

All of the above, plus lots, and lots, and lots, and lots of patience!

You will be tested to the max many times, you will feel like setting fire to the whole damn thing!! But when those times hit, take a step back, grab a few beers (or spirits if that's your bag) and get yourself on here for some divine intervention.

You will find many many moments of desperation on here (me included) where it seems like it's never going to happen. The collective will pull you through, and you WILL finish it

Now I've filled you with doubt and gloom, just enjoy the experience. I always wanted to build a kit but ended up doing a complete scratch-build Locost, and am so glad I did, it's another tick on my bucket list and the best feeling in the world (well almost )

Good luck, lots of pictures, and remember, the keyboard is never very far away......

JB

Dick Axtell - 29/11/12 at 02:33 PM

Don't build your project in a lock-up, without light, power, warmth or a loo!!

Make sure all the factors above are there, even if you have to park yer missus' motor on the drive.

Working in the aforementioned lock-up ain't no fun - which is why I'm here at home, and not sorting out the re-rest items!!

Slimy38 - 29/11/12 at 02:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
plus lots, and lots, and lots, and lots of patience!

I'm going to have something like this printed out in huge letters and pinned on the wall. And I'm still torn between whether I should look at a schedule and a deadline, or whether I should just work on it when I can. If I do the former I can imagine my patience wearing very thing, if I do the latter I would half expect to never finish it.

mcerd1 - 29/11/12 at 02:35 PM

as above - proper big fire extinguishers of a suitable type
chances are you'll not need it, but sods law says: "if you don't have one, then you'll need it" and you don't want to be in that situation

it happened to one of the dax builders a few years back - a little fuel leaked onto a hot exhaust manifold and the little in car extinguisher didn't work (one of the ones favoured by the Max Power lot) - he lost the car, the garage and nearly the whole house with it

also be very careful if your using hole saws in metal !
(search the old posts on this site and you'll see what I mean )

on a more positive note:

these are great when your fitting panels:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=cleco+&_sacat=0&_odkw=cleco+pins&_osacat=0

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
take lots of photos (for IVA and for potential buyers in the future)
and post them up here too so we can see how your getting on
they'll also help you get lots of suggestions/motivation when/if you get a bit stuck

if you recon all the donor bits it could add quite allot of £££ to the budget and takes a bit of time, but its quite satisfying and means you'll end up with whats basically a new car
also you can paint all the bits to keep them looking nice and new while your at it

[Edited on 29/11/2012 by mcerd1]

mcerd1 - 29/11/12 at 03:03 PM

one last thing form me - there is a disease called 'upgraditus', I'm speaking here as a chronic sufferer...
it affects you brain and makes you swap all the donor bits and standard parts of the kit for shinny aftermarket ones made from aluminium, titanium, carbon fibre or in my case bits with 'cosworth' written on them

this disease can set your IVA date back by years and will have a devastating impact on you bank balance

watch out for the early signs and seek treatment if you think its starting
(treatment will normally involve a much more sensible builder telling you: "you don't need that, just get it on the road first ! " )

jonabonospen - 29/11/12 at 03:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
one last thing form me - there is a disease called 'upgraditus', I'm speaking here as a chronic sufferer...
it affects you brain and makes you swap all the donor bits and standard parts of the kit for shinny aftermarket ones made from aluminium, titanium, carbon fibre or in my case bits with 'cosworth' written on them

this disease can set your IVA date back by years and will have a devastating impact on you bank balance

watch out for the early signs and seek treatment if you think its starting
(treatment will normally involve a much more sensible builder telling you: "you don't need that, just get it on the road first ! " )

I think I am suffering from this infliction already. It has already gone from NA ZX10R to Turbo ZX10R and I haven't even started the actual build yet

Mr Whippy - 29/11/12 at 03:52 PM

yeah try and stick to the Philosophy of the old book, there was a time when these cars actually were locost but most seem to have lost sight of that

TAZZMAXX - 29/11/12 at 04:20 PM

Don't be disheartened if you're a year in and still have only a bare chassis to look at. When I joined this forum I laughed at how long these guys were taking to build a car. 6 months from start to finish I told myself but I am still looking at an incomplete chassis. I'm now distracted by additional projects and work so time for my Haynes is minimal but I have promised myself I'll resume it after Christmas. I just need to decide which year

renetom - 29/11/12 at 05:31 PM

Hi
If you intend to use it on the road , before you start assembly
Get the latest IVA manual, and make sure you adhere to it at
Every stage of the build , will save you a heap of time & money.
Much better to build it right the first time.
Having given you these words of wisdom , still failed the IVA first time.
Good luck
Rene.

stevegough - 29/11/12 at 05:42 PM

Get some insurance for whilst you are building it - it costs next to nothing, (£60 a year for me) and if things get nicked or burnt you'll at least have some compensation.

Hellfire - 29/11/12 at 06:41 PM

Fix a large whiteboard to your garage wall. You'll find it invaluable.........

Phil

StevieB - 29/11/12 at 07:14 PM

Start and finish each session in the garage with a couple of simple, easy things to do - you'll get an immediate sense of achievement to drive you through the rest of the day and finish on a little high, so you're happy to go back for more at the next opportunity.

And if, like I did, you have a new born baby, have a decent stock of paper overalls and latex gloves - I found that I was missing our on garage time because of the amount of time I was getting shouted back into the house to assist with various things. Once I cottoned on to having the paper overalls and gloves, I could be in the house, with non oily hands and clothes in seconds on demand.

Jimfin - 29/11/12 at 07:25 PM

Three tips for you -

If its not right, dont bodge it or try to find a work around. take it apart and do it right otherwise it will become a problem later.

Keep it simple for the IVA, stick to basic specs to avoid load of grief with emmissions and noise. You can can upgrade to your hearts content later but just start simple.

Always found a magnet on a telescopic stick was handy for the bits (or tools) that got dropped - they always roll just out of reach! And if they are not magnetic, just add a dod of blue tack

JeffHs - 29/11/12 at 07:37 PM

Never give up, just walk away for a day or so, then come back refreshed. Don't forget it's supposed to be fun. You'll get there in the end and the big grin on your face will wipe away all of the misery getting there.
Keep it simple, keep it locost and remember if it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid.

bodger - 29/11/12 at 08:04 PM

Don't get too precious about that shiny new powder coated chassis. At some point your going to have to start driling holes in it, filing it, maybe welding it & patching it up with paint. I spent a lot of wasted time at the beginning prevaricating over what to do when I probably should have just got stuck into it. You'll make mistakes, put things in the wrong place, it's all part of the learning process & most things are fixable. And if you can't figure something out, sleep on it, you wake up the next day, take another look & it seems obvious. Don't know how it happens but it's usually the case.

jonabonospen - 29/11/12 at 09:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire

Phil

That idea I like. .......... searching for whiteboards on ebay now

blakep82 - 29/11/12 at 09:38 PM

it WILL take a while. i'm 9 years in now.... erm, yeah...
and it will cost more than expected, i had a budget of £3000 when i started. didn't ever think the axle alone would take up nearly half of that

certain milestones will make you very happy though, and thats what help keep you going

mcerd1 - 29/11/12 at 10:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jonabonospen
quote:

Phil

the roof / bonnet off the donor car in a nice locost alternative (obviously helps if it not too dark a colour...)

jonabonospen - 29/11/12 at 10:51 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Phil

the roof / bonnet off the donor car in a nice locost alternative (obviously helps if it not too dark a colour...)

Unfortunately for me, Kawasaki ZX10R's don't have a bonnet or a roof

stevegough - 30/11/12 at 08:09 AM

And lastly, remember it will only cost you £250............

.......or so

FuryRebuild - 30/11/12 at 08:19 AM

Get familiar with The Rules

mcerd1 - 30/11/12 at 09:39 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Phil

Unfortunately for me, Kawasaki ZX10R's don't have a bonnet or a roof

ok second locost option for you - any old glass window and paint it white on the back

GOJO - 30/11/12 at 10:21 AM

Buy shite buy twice.
Plan ahead for fixing bolts nuts rivets( nowt worse than ordering parts and having no bolts ) oh and stainless of course
Leave the body work till last
First job spin the chassis and rivet the floor
If you think it should be powder coated or anodized GET IT DONE!
If you wouldnt be happy with the outcome if you had paid
someone to do it , rethink because its a long time built

Ask marc or colin about ocd involved on my brown and creme mk gave me great satisfaction, getting customers coming up to me that were impressed with the detail and finish, mark and colin also said best mk build they'd ever seen.

Good luck! Oh and you will blow your budget

[Edited on 30/11/12 by GOJO]

RichardK - 30/11/12 at 12:33 PM

Use normal nuts and switch to nylocs at the end.

Cheers

R

whitestu - 30/11/12 at 12:46 PM

Write a realistic project plan and try to stick to it. This helped me with motivation and helps get the build finished quicker.

Write two budget plans. The first is to share with your wife / girlfriend and the second is what you actually spend!

Stu

jonabonospen - 30/11/12 at 02:13 PM

After Hellfire's great suggestion of a whiteboard, I went and got one...... well it's actually a none working SmartBoard, from a IT recycling place in Leeds for the grand sum of £13.49, which I think for a 50" board is pretty good. And here it is installed in the garage:

jonabonospen - 30/11/12 at 02:15 PM

Lots of 'top tips' so far on planning and budgeting, but what actual physical elements of the work? Things like; best tip for drilling bodywork (just what I was thinking before), or best tip for type of grease to use for certain element, best tip for fitting seats...... etc etc etc

MikeR - 30/11/12 at 02:40 PM

You need room, light and warmth.

If things aren't going well and its freezing in the garage you're not going to go there.

Take your time. I'm in year [cough]. Friends stopped counting the years and counted the g/f as the number was lower.

Do things once. Don't upgrade till later (says the man on his second engine (3rd and 4th are behind the garage), second gearbox, third axle, second rear end design...... you get the idea. Now i've got two kids under 2 years old I dont get the chance to go in the garage and it frustrates me.

Make time for your misses, make sure she supports you and is happy for you to disappear (lost one g/f that way when i decided to do a push on the car).

Remember this is fun.

As for actual hints and tips. Get good tools like drill bits. cheap ones go blunt and make life very difficult. Get the car in the air so you're not bending over - but get a way to get it down (i bought an engine crane but it was still difficult).

remember, this is fun

mcerd1 - 30/11/12 at 04:21 PM

this tip is second-hand: use good cobalt drill bits for the rivet holes - they last ages before going blunt compared to HSS ones

PeteS2k - 30/11/12 at 06:23 PM

quote:
this tip is second-hand: use good cobalt drill bits for the rivet holes - they last ages before going blunt compared to HSS ones

^^^^^ This! First lesson I learned!

Hellfire - 30/11/12 at 06:51 PM

Loving the Smartboard and a great price too!

On the subject of drills, buy a small bench grinder and learn how to sharpen drill bits. (If you don't know already) It'll save you a small fortune on drill bits and will come in handy for other things too. An essential piece of equipment IMHO

Phil

[Edited on 30-11-12 by Hellfire]

jossey - 30/11/12 at 08:02 PM

Ignore all the above and learn the hard way :-)

Just double your budget and don't ever ever ever visit the for sale section on here lol

stevegough - 1/12/12 at 10:29 PM

quote:
Lots of 'top tips' so far on planning and budgeting, but what actual physical elements of the work? Things like; best tip for drilling bodywork (just what I was thinking before), or best tip for type of grease to use for certain element, best tip for fitting seats...... etc etc etc

Ok, one technique I discovered for saving my aching arms (+ keeping swarf out my eyes)! when drilling all those holes for the rivets upwards (bodywork sides went on after the engine was trial - fitted) so I couldn't turn it upside down like most folk did.

See pics!

Rescued attachment SDC11703 (Large).JPG
Rescued attachment SDC11703 (Large).JPG

Rescued attachment SDC11702 (Large).JPG
Rescued attachment SDC11702 (Large).JPG

Irony - 1/12/12 at 11:59 PM

Hard wire a extension cord into wall with an appropriately switched socket. If the extension cannot be removed it can't be lost.

Don't neglect the other half, they will be there for you when it goes wrong.

If you have a problem some one here has probably solved it.

Don't mention bec vs cec.

stevegough - 2/12/12 at 05:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Irony

Don't mention bec vs cec.

T66 - 2/12/12 at 07:50 AM

A4 hardback ringbinder books for notes/jottings - I have about 5 on the go, in the garage, next to the bed, workbag etc.
Full of measurements, ideas / thoughts, and countless lists of things to buy.

Budgets - I started with a spreadsheet , recording costs.... I got scared when it went over £12k and stopped counting about 2 years ago, also
everyone asks when you plan to finish it, I stopped worrying about that 2 years ago too, who cares ! leave deadlines at work.

907 - 2/12/12 at 12:07 PM

Buy your bodywork in flat pack form. Saves loads of storage space.

Mine was only 10.5 mm thick.

Paul G

jonabonospen - 6/12/12 at 08:16 PM

Just a little spot of advice for anyone else wanting to put up a whiteboard in the garage; DONT buy a SmartBoard as the whiteboard pens are difficult to rub off and leave marks. Good news though was that I complained to the seller who told me that it could be used as a whiteboard, and got a partial refund of £8, which I then spent £8 on some self-adhesive whiteboard sheet and stuck that to the board. Made it easier than removing the board, buying another, then drilling more holes in the garage wall. Bit of blue tape over the joint down the middle and to split the board up and hey presto...... all that was left was for me to test the pens out

I'll never make it as a graffiti artist that's for sure

wilkingj - 6/12/12 at 10:04 PM

quote:
quote:

Phil

Cheaper still is get a secondary glazing unit or old window unit. Cheap as chips, usually give away at a glazier or D/Glazing firm.
Paint one side with Cheap White emulsion (V. Locost idea). Will need two or three coats.
Fix to wall painted side inwards.
Get some whiteboard spirit markers and use that.
Considerably cheaper than buying expensive whiteboards
Mine is just starting to peel after 8 years. So I know this works.

Excellent for doing a bit of quick maths, or jotting down compression figures , valve clearances, or jobs to be done.
Most useful was to jot down parts that you need to get. Then copy the shopping list into a notebook to take shopping with you.
An excellent aide memoire!!

Once you know what part you want, then scour the internet for the best price. I dont mean the cheapset bit of crap that will do, but the quality item you want, at the best price. Its amazing what you can save.
Keep a running total of the costs on a shreadsheet. It will help give a true value for the Insurance value. (DONT let the Missus see it )

Keep asking questions on here... Its what we are all here for. However, do try to use the Search facility first as most things have been done to death in the past.

DONT DESPAIR!!! We all go through that phase, and sometimes a few times more than we would like!

Lastly, Little and often. ie try to do a small bit every day. Even if its only 20 mins cutting a bracket, then undercoating it the next night, then top coat the next night etc etc.
Little and Often WILL get it done.
Doing nothing for weeks, will not get it done, and then you spend a week at it and it still looks like not much has been done.

PLAN your jobs. ie decide the next task. Ensure you have all the bits to hand, before you start it. It will save a lot of time.

Secure your garage / shed /whatever. Dont work with the doors wide open for all the theiving scum to see what noce tools you have in there!
No prob in the winter, but worth thinking about or parking a van infront of the doors in summer etc.

Pictures.... Already said above. Regardless of taking them for the IVA man. WE want to see your progress as well.
Not only do you accumulate your build evidence for IVA, it gives others encouragement. It also gives them Ideas for their car.
After all we often see someone elses good idea and then incorporate it in our own car.
Also we may spot you doing something wrong or even dangerous. Better find it during the build than at 70mph on a twisty road.

Try to enjoy it, it IS well worth the effort.
When a stranger admires your car, you will get a good feeling when you say "Yes, I built it"
Its all becomes worth while.

EDIT:
Found the Photos!

Cheap Whiteboards
Cheap Whiteboards

[Edited on 6/12/2012 by wilkingj]