Board logo

Plumbing Help
Hellfire - 17/1/09 at 03:06 PM

I know we have a few plumbers on here and I'm after some advice.

I have a shower pump and would like to take a dedicated feed from the hot water cylinder. I could take it from the hot water supply but would prefer to take it from an Essex Flange. My cylinder looks similar to the one below. Are Essex flanges easy to fit or would it be easier fitting something like a Techflange?

Phil

thegasmen - 17/1/09 at 05:40 PM

Hi Phill

I wouldnt recomend you fit either of these flanges the easiest method is to fit what is called a salamander flange which screws into the top where the hot water draw off goes far easier i have used them in the past and alot less chance of damadge or leaks at the side of the cylinder.

Regards Mick

bob tatt - 17/1/09 at 05:43 PM

if you can build a car you can put an essex flange in . there not too hard if you take your time to read the indstructions.
never heard of the techflange cant really tell what its like from that link. you can also get a fitting called a warrix (spell) flange which goes on the top of the cylinder witha dip tube built in to stop you pulling the air bubbles at the top of the cylinder in to the pump, this needs no drilling at all which might be easier for you. hope this helps any questions just ask
rob

thegasmen - 17/1/09 at 05:54 PM

Sounds like the warrix flange is similer idea to the salamander flange rob where abouts in sunny leeds are you im up in rainy guiseley.

Mick

Hellfire - 17/1/09 at 06:45 PM

Do you mean a Surrey flange? Sounds the same as the Warrix/Salamander........

I had considered this but it would involve quite a bit of modification of the existing pipework to accomodate which I am trying to avoid. This link shows how to install the Techflange and it seems quite easy.......

Phil

bob tatt - 17/1/09 at 06:52 PM

thats sounds very similar to the essex flange to me quite easy to do dont forget to syphon the cylinder though.

Hellfire - 17/1/09 at 07:59 PM

I'm weighing up the pros and cons of each method and reckon that the Salamander/Surrey flange might actually be the easiest method, given the limited access to the cylinder.

Cheers guys

Phil

Hellfire - 19/1/09 at 08:30 PM

OK. Been doing some research and I reckon the salamander flange is gonna be easiest to fit. My only concern is that the Surrey/York Flange seem to be the industry standard. Is there a real difference in quality between the Salamander and the Surrey Flanges?

Phil

thegasmen - 19/1/09 at 10:46 PM

Not sure about the surrey flange not used it phil But I have used the salamander flange and it worked ok for me and not had any complaints from the customer as of yet.

Regards Mick