Board logo

zx9r main jets and megajolt
cd.thomson - 18/4/11 at 11:14 AM

Hi guys,

Does anyone know the standard size of zx9r main jets and could someone suggest a supplier of replacement jets? Without looking inside them again im pretty sure they have non-adjustable needles, could anyone confirm?

With regards to megajolt, is it possible to create a reasonably pleasant ignition map without a RR? Does anyone have a map for a C20XE running bike carbs or the ignition map from their megasquirt running bike TBs I could try flashing to my jolt?

Thanks in advance

YQUSTA - 18/4/11 at 11:27 AM

Don't know the size of the jets off hand but your right the needles are non adjustable as standard.

Tiny washers may work for the needles.

cd.thomson - 18/4/11 at 11:39 AM

I actually need to lean the mixture out, so ill have to do it with the mainjets I think, with the needles being fixed.

Thanks for getting back to me

rich201283 - 18/4/11 at 01:09 PM

I have checked my zx9r manual

B Model - 200
C Model -155
E Model - 60 &165

Which model carbs are they?

cd.thomson - 18/4/11 at 02:43 PM

I'm not sure to be honest, is that any way to check? Do you know of any jet suppliers?

macc man - 18/4/11 at 04:06 PM

Most people usually drill out the existing jets to a larger size. 1.6mm is a good startig point.Works fine on my 2.0 zetec on zx9r carbs. You can always go larger, or solder holes up and redrill if too big.

coozer - 18/4/11 at 04:16 PM

Dynojet kits have the adjustable needles you need, and different jet sizes.

Rule of thumb is the jet size is the same in mm.

140 jet is 1.4mm etc..

jacko - 18/4/11 at 05:05 PM

You don't need new needles you put small washers under the head of the needles

as said zx9r / e models have 2 sizes fitted in a set of carbs

I am talking about E model carbs
Jacko

mcerd1 - 18/4/11 at 05:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
I'm not sure to be honest, is that any way to check? Do you know of any jet suppliers?

model E ones look like this: (and have 'CVR' cast into the side of them)

the earlier ones look like these: (adn should have 'CVK' writen on them somewhere)

don't ask me how you tell a model B from a C though....

cd.thomson - 18/4/11 at 06:24 PM

thanks for the info everyone, just to clarify I'm trying to lean out the mixture. Once the engine comes off tickover its running too rich (5-6% CO). I think that means I need to reduce the jet size and any washers need to be removed rather than added.

I'll give dynojet a look, cheers!

mcerd1, don't forget I still have your IVA bars, sorry I've kept them so long mate. I'll return them once its IVAed or sold, get in touch if you need them sooner. I have the earlier model according to those pictures, thank you.

[Edited on 18/4/11 by cd.thomson]

cd.thomson - 18/4/11 at 06:45 PM

for future reference http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Kawasaki/ZX9R_ZX_900_B3_B4/96-97/picture/Carburettor_-_Main_Jet/

mcerd1 - 18/4/11 at 09:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
mcerd1, don't forget I still have your IVA bars, sorry I've kept them so long mate. I'll return them once its IVAed or sold, get in touch if you need them sooner. I have the earlier model according to those pictures, thank you.

I won't be needing the bars for a wee while yet I'm still rebuilding the garage for the second time at the moment

as for the carbs I've got a haynes manual for the ZX9R somewhere - I'll dig it out and send you the carb pages when I get a chance...

[Edited on 18/4/2011 by mcerd1]