Board logo

893 fireblate oil temp sensor
Ian Jones - 22/2/13 at 05:40 PM

Hi all

does anyone know where I can put a oil temp sensor into the engine please on a 893cc fireblade engine.

the current one is in a adapter with a oil pressure sensor that is on a stainless flex hose away from the block, so the temp doesnt not rear correct on the digi dash

thanks
ian

Jon Ison - 22/2/13 at 05:43 PM

I have mine in the sump, had a lug welded on then drilled n tapped it.

Ian Jones - 22/2/13 at 05:47 PM

im running a billet alloy sump if that makes any difference?

is there any removeable bolts/caps on the block that it will fit?, or where the standard one would be?

bigfoot4616 - 22/2/13 at 07:48 PM

i was using a billet sump on my old 919 blade. on that it was just drilled and tapped through the side of the sump

HappyFather - 22/2/13 at 11:02 PM

Hi,

I'm building an Aries and have also that adapter at the end of the flexi. I was getting incorrect readings (with cold engine, only started it a hand full of times) but fixed the problem by correctly earthing the adapter. It has a small bolt to connect a wire to. Earth the other end of the wire and it may fix your reading problems.
It's worth a try before spending money in other options.

Kind regards,
HappyFather

IainL - 23/2/13 at 11:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by HappyFather
Hi,

I'm building an Aries and have also that adapter at the end of the flexi. I was getting incorrect readings (with cold engine, only started it a hand full of times) but fixed the problem by correctly earthing the adapter. It has a small bolt to connect a wire to. Earth the other end of the wire and it may fix your reading problems.
It's worth a try before spending money in other options.

Kind regards,
HappyFather

Hi HappyFather,
I have the same set up as you and it's earth as mentioned above, but I still get very low oil temperatures as there is no flow of oil and it's far away from the engine.

Sounds like the way over this is to drill and tap the sump (I wish I thought of this when I fitted my new sump a few months back), another job to add to my list of mods.

Cheers,
Iain

HappyFather - 24/2/13 at 01:55 PM

Hi, IainL

Thank you for the info. I guess I'll have to look for the parts to do that drill&tap. I'll eventually have to drop all the oil in the engine (it was from the bike and is with me since 2010) and will take the chance to do that mod.

Cheers!
HappyFather

Ian Jones - 22/3/13 at 07:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bigfoot4616
i was using a billet sump on my old 919 blade. on that it was just drilled and tapped through the side of the sump

Did you have any pics of where you done it please

bigfoot4616 - 22/3/13 at 06:48 PM

no pics and i sold it so can't get any.

as the engine sits in the car it was on the front face of the sump, and i think about half way along(not entirely sure on this bit as its over 18 months since i've seen it)