Board logo

engine spacer material?
alan87 - 19/3/14 at 10:42 AM

Morning,

So this weekend I got round to properly lining up the engine ready for drilling the mounts. Unfortunately it would appear tge one of the mounts that I bought from fury sports cars is about an inch to short and would mean I would ve drilling into the chassis member!

So ive decided the easiest way around this is to space the mohnt away from the engine. I mocked it up with a piece of mdf and it works perfectly, but my question is what material should I use to make the real thing?

One of my mates thinks that ali will be too soft and may compress, but im not overly keen about having a 20mm thick piece of steel!

Theshed - 19/3/14 at 10:46 AM

Do aluminium engines "compress"......... Ali will be fine

alan87 - 19/3/14 at 10:52 AM

Haha very good point. Thanks

mookaloid - 19/3/14 at 11:58 AM

I used a plywood spacer on top of a rubber engine mount with no ill effects for several years

I think Ali would be more than adequate for that situation.

mark chandler - 19/3/14 at 12:12 PM

They look like cast lugs, 20mm is a fair gap to fill, I would simple cut the mounting brackets and re weld to fit correctly, it will drop the engine a tad but nothing to worry about.

Much cheaper than making up spacers and I expect it will take less time.

Whereabouts in Hampshire are you?

Regards Mark

[Edited on 19/3/14 by mark chandler]

DW100 - 19/3/14 at 01:20 PM

4 pieces of 25mm diameter alloy bar 20mm long with 10mm hole in the center will be fine. Lighter than a big lump and easier than remaking any mountings.

coyoteboy - 19/3/14 at 01:40 PM

As above, decent quality fasteners and a nice set of spacers made up from either alu or steel will be far lighter and just as functional.

whitestu - 19/3/14 at 05:53 PM

Mine had a bit of a gap and it just has some washer and large nuts to make up the space. Not the best solution and I always intended to do it right but it's been like that for years now with no probs.

Stu

bi22le - 19/3/14 at 06:03 PM

I have a 4age in a striker and mine looks identical, even the design of mount!!

I have spacers made up as per dw100. Not caused me a problem.

alan87 - 21/3/14 at 09:21 PM

Thanks for all the input, the alloy bar spacers sounds like a good shout, ill have a look for some suitable material on the bay.

mark- im based in Eastleigh... What about yourself?