Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BMW M50 or M52 Engine?
ftaffy

posted on 8/12/11 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Guys,

I was looking at using the M50/M52 BMW engines, but ended up with a M44 (318IS E36) as that fell in at the right price when i was looking to buy.
Currently in the middle of stripping it down, hopefully will pull the engine this Sat and get to sit it in my old chassis to get a better feel for its size.

I have designed a chassis to suit (with high enough stiffness aim was 6000Nn/deg) hopefully the BMW 4 and 6's, though it will need some refining. Used alot of the linton thesis mods and ended up at around 136kg as per the below SS.

Loved the look of the GKD roll hoop but doubt it will make it the final build. Also have a standard hoop designed for it.

Be interested in sharing ideas as it goes along as everything apart from actual engine will be basically the same.

My Build log is located on the Aussie clubman site, though you have to register to see it. Might start one on here if there is movement on doing a few BMW based builds.
http://www.ozclubbies.com.au/index.php?/topic/3383-taffys-tf7i-build/

One note for those looking at doing this. Go for the M42 engines over the M44 as there ODB-I which means there plug and play with the chip tuning.

Also thoughts on running a dry sump? I found a few that sell them online but not cheap! Might need to find an ally welder to cut mine down as there damn deep.

Cheers,
Taffy

matt_gsxr

posted on 8/12/11 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
136kg sounds a bit heavy to me.

I managed to move my chassis with the wishbones on alone and I am not that strong (Phoenix which is same as striker).
I think a striker chassis is about 62kg and they can take decent power although it would be a bit smaller than yours.

randombloke

posted on 11/12/11 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ftaffy

I was looking at using the M50/M52 BMW engines, but ended up with a M44 (318IS E36) as that fell in at the right price when i was looking to buy.

Really funny because I started looking at the weight of the engines and the m44 has much better power to weight ratio than the m52. Then last week I got offered a complete 318is with 80k on the clock, no tax or mot for £250 that I really couldn't say no to.

I too am designing my own chassis to fit and now I have the donor I can start removing bits and measuring then so I can finish the design.

ftaffy

posted on 11/12/11 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Random,

Congrats on the M44/318is.

Would be interested to see what you come up with in terms of a chassis design.

Are you CAD modeling the parts? If so what program?

I am loosely model items in solidworks.

Pulled the engine on Sat, tips:
A/C compressor has 3 hex nuts that hold it on, two lower and 1 at the top. Remove the steering rack before getting to the last one.

I just cut the P/S lines to the rack as i am going to attempt to use it depowered

Engine +gearbox will come out as 1 unit, remove radiator etc.

Driveshaft is a PITA to undo, suggest you just until the middle joint using a pipe wrench to get it started and then by hand.
You will then have half a driveshaft attached to your engine but i spent a while underthere and the damn things wont budge.
You will need to leave an axle stand to support the rear section.

Cheers,
Taffy

randombloke

posted on 13/12/11 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tips Taffy.

I am using Autodesk Inventor to design the chassis and yes I will be modelling the parts. I want to have a CAD model of the chassis, suspension, engine and gearbox mounts; and diff placement before I start fabricating the chassis.

I will post some pics of the chassis soon.

Nickp

posted on 13/12/11 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
The M44's a good choice, especially at £250 for a whole car!!
Have you considered making the car LHD? I've just fitted an M52 that leans the same way and it'd be a lot easier with the column and master cylinders on the other side.
As for power to weight ratio. The M44 may be better on its own but once installed in a chassis the 2.8 M52 has a potential to make an extra 100BHP so doubt the 1.8 will touch it TBH Horses for courses though.

randombloke

posted on 13/12/11 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
As for power to weight ratio. The M44 may be better on its own but once installed in a chassis the 2.8 M52 has a potential to make an extra 100BHP so doubt the 1.8 will touch it TBH Horses for courses though.

The M52 is nearly 80Kg heavier than the M44 and as I hope to get near to 200BHP from it, the acceleration should be goooood.

I also think that a lighter engine is much more in line with the Lotus design philosophy

rodgling

posted on 13/12/11 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
The M52 does have the advantage that you can drop an M3 lump (320 bhp) straight in when you need more power... plus it sounds more interesting than an inline 4.
daniel mason

posted on 13/12/11 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
some inline 4's maybe!

Nickp

posted on 13/12/11 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by randombloke
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp

The M52 is nearly 80Kg heavier than the M44 and as I hope to get near to 200BHP from it, the acceleration should be goooood.

I also think that a lighter engine is much more in line with the Lotus design philosophy

I agree with the lightweight philosophy also, but the 'bang for buck' ethos made the M52 the 1st choice for me
A 200BHP M44 sounds great. I presume your talking fairly lairy cams, plenty of headwork and ITBs or bike carbs? I'm hoping my £150 2.5 M52 with just an M50 manifold should make about the same. And when I get bored I can slot in a 2.8 or M3 lump. I also suggested making your chassis LHD so you can easily fit a turbo down that side of the engine. Now that would have good power-weight ratio

ftaffy

posted on 13/12/11 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
If you make your chassis long enough in the engine bay you should actually be able to swap a M44 for the S50 (E36 M3 engine) as the gearbox mating should be the same i believe - it works for M42,M44, M50, M52...
Its also easier if you just get the electric fan model when you looking around, BMW seemed to be 1000 minds when putting the fans onto these cars - electric in front, electric behind, infront and behind or clutch/belt in front.... bah!

As i said before the M44 is less tuneable then the M42 due to unable to change the chip easily (which was an easy ~20hp and 500rpm on the redline).
Though the best performance upgrade (M44) is (From google reading, no exp here) to put an M20 flywheel on, that will give you big low end performance boost and combine that with a diff swap for a nice accel upgrade. - doubt i will bother with anything until i get the car running. KISS!

My M44 engine and box

an M44 engine is approx: 440mm long, and 620mm between the mounts.
The gearbox from bellhousing to shifter is approx 760mm long.
Not put it on the scales yet but have to move it tonight so i can get the old chassis out so might pull them out and check what the lump is less the A/C and powersteering pump.

On the car strip down, the biggest problem i am now facing is the fight with the steering column. Should have googled first but you need to cut into the bolts/studs to give you a head to rotate them. Interesting i will be able to keep the tilt adjust in my column.

Cheers,
Taffy

rodgling

posted on 13/12/11 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

If you make your chassis long enough in the engine bay you should actually be able to swap a M44 for the S50 (E36 M3 engine) as the gearbox mating should be the same i believe - it works for M42,M44, M50, M52...

That's true about the gearbox end, I think, but I was also thinking about the exhaust - all the straight sixes have identical exhaust manifolds which means they're straight swaps (along with ECU I suppose).

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.