<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Removing Stuck Drum Brake
Alfa145

posted on 29/8/12 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Why a copper Mallet?
spiderman

posted on 29/8/12 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Grind the head off the brake shoe retaining pin that locates through the back plate. This will allow the the shoes to come away from the back plate enough to be able to pull the drum off or at least be able to get a screwdriver between the drum and backplate and lever the shoe over the lip of the drum.

Spider

GeoffT

posted on 30/8/12 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Why a copper Mallet?

......because if you're jammed on the centre bore (which from your description sounds pretty likely) a normal hammer could spread the metal around the joint between half shaft spigot and drum and compound the problem further.

As Owelly states, plenty of wedges around the back of the drum to force it out as much as possible. If it is jammed on the centre bore you should see the centre of the drum distorting while you're doing this, the metal is pretty thin just there.

Then a few whacks in the centre (preferably with a soft hammer) may shift it. If not wedge it some more. You have my sympathies though, one of mine was stuck in this manner and although it eventually broke free it was a right barsteward to do......

owelly

posted on 30/8/12 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
.....^ that. Plus, if you whack the wheel studs or edge of the spigot, you're less likely to damage them.

And it's always nice to buy shiny tools.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alfa145

posted on 3/9/12 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Wooooo!

The drum is now separated from the axle Ordered some plus gas, gave it a soaking tonight and put my homebrew 2 leg puller on it and gave it several almighty clonks with my hammer and it moved.

It was stuck on the lip and not the shoes. Phew, at least I dont need to buy new drums now. Just new shoes as everything has been covered in WD40/Plus gas

Thanks for the tips and advice

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.