Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: height of roll bars??
jlayton

posted on 1/7/11 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
height of roll bars??

as above im in the process of building a cage for personal reasons, not for racing etc. what sort of height do people have the rear roll bar without looking to tall and silly. and also how high roughly should you have the front roll bar from the rail at the bottom of the scuttle upwards??

cheers

mark chandler

posted on 1/7/11 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
You want it a couple of inches above your crash hat when sitting in the car, just drop the front a couple of inches lower than the rear, make sure it does not obscure your eye sight, I have seen some so low the driver had a permanant bar infront of there eyes. If you have a windscree then a little above this.
jlayton

posted on 1/7/11 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
iv left about 3 and half " from top of helmet and im only 5ft 6 so i suppose that would be about right
Daddylonglegs

posted on 1/7/11 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
As long as you can run a line from the top of the roll bar to the nose of the car and it clears your bonce by a couple of inches or more you should be OK I would think.

HTH

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

lewis

posted on 1/7/11 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry mate I meant to reply to your pm,as said above a few inches when you have a helmet on as far as looks my front hoop is 2" below my rear hoop and all looks good the top bars have a 40 degree bend for my head area hope this helps.
ianclark1275

posted on 1/7/11 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
get strapped in and put a locost straight edge (plank of wood) from front of cylinder head and make fist above your head.

Where it rests at back will be the top of roll bar.

more data is in the MSA blue book for roll bars and clearances to top of helmet.

thanks

IC

measure twice, cut once, scrap it, start again.

tomgregory2000

posted on 2/7/11 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Also are you going to sell your car?

If you are at some point you might want to make it a little taller so you dont limit your market to shorter people
Just a thought

James

posted on 2/7/11 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Mark Allanson who's an accident insurance assessor (ie. deals with a lot accidents) and knows a fair amount about this sort of thing has (IIRC) always said 4". The problem with that, is that unless you sit very low in the car, a really tall roll bar is required and this looks daft!

I sit very low in my car so the roll bar is ok quite low.

Cheers,

JAmes

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.