Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Omex vs Bike Ecu & Power Commander
Phoenix-Rob

posted on 8/9/11 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Omex vs Bike Ecu & Power Commander

Does anyone have experience of running an Omex or Dta ecu on a bike engine?

Do you gain much in performance and drive ability?

Is it worth the extra money?

I am still looking for a ZX12 ecu 2000 model hence the post!

Cheers

Rob

MikeCapon

posted on 8/9/11 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
From my experience using 1000cc bike engines in sidecars at National and World Championship level, I'd say you are better off with the bike ECU. To the best of my knowledge no-one uses anything other than the standard ECU with add-on packs, usually Yoshimura, to manage the fuel, spark and other parameters.

If using another ECU had any sort of advantage then you can be sure that people would spend whatever they had to.

I guess that the standard ECU is very well developed and only needs playing with to get rid of noise and pollution stuff.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Uphill Racer

posted on 21/10/11 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
I think it depends on the engine, if kept standard then use what was made for it.
I use DTA on my ZZR1100 but it is modified and with a home made injection system, not too difficult to program.

matt_gsxr

posted on 21/10/11 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
I picked up a sidecar engine which had some serious work on it (like titanium bits and no counterweights on the crank ).
It also had a 36-1 trigger wheel and what looked like OMEX connectors.
This is from the old days (i.e. carbs), so presumably just ran some clever sparks. So I think back then it was worth the bother. I have little doubt (in my small mind) that EFI gains me a few bhp over the equivalent stock engine (although the massive turbo probably helps too!).

On the other hand. The modern ECU's on bike engines are really, really clever things with individual mapping for inner versus outer cylinders, and with reliable big power as the target (unlike car engines where emissions and fuel efficiency take precedence). So I suspect stock ECU + powercommander* (that can change sparks) and some careful mapping is probably close to the best that can be done.

*for power commander read, powercommander sort of thing.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.