Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: It finally moves
daniel mason

posted on 30/10/11 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
It finally moves

Finally after 18 months of trying the car is now drivable. It has been running for awhile now, but finally have had the hybrid drive shafts made up, got them fitted and got the clutch sorted. Gearbox feels nice and tight and the car sounds amazing.it needs a bit more silencing though but it sound fantastic.
Just need to get the steering tightened up,rear hub nuts tightening fully and brake unioins tightening to get rid of the leaks then I can go for a small private road blat!
A couple of small points to make
1; the clutch pedal is fairly stiff compared to the s2000 donor? Could this be down to a shorter pedal. With different pivot points?
2: had the car running for about 20 minutes yesterday and got the rad and coolant system up to temp ok. But before the fan thermostat kicked the fan in, the coolant in the header tank was pressurising and dripping out of the overflow in the neck and onto the floor.? Could this be just too much coolant in the system? Or that the fan stat is not kicking in and the water is boiling? I don't have my dash set up at the moment so can't monitor temps yet! Cheers

MakeEverything

posted on 30/10/11 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Great stuff. What did you do with the exhaist in the end?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

daniel mason

posted on 30/10/11 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
After some advice from pwl on here I did the same as him and put 2x 3" Simons silencers along the side. It's way too loud though so I have plans for another rear exit setup. But this time well away from the fuel tank

Dusty

posted on 30/10/11 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Unlikely to be boiling. Probably just air in the system expanding. Could also be overfilled. I tend to run up to temperature with the rad cap off, standing by with a watering can and keeping the tank topped up full the whole time. Often get bubbles, spurts of water, steady overflow etc but it should stabilise and allow the fan to kick in. Rev the engine a few times to dislodge more bubbles. (Remember heating fresh water will release air that is dissolved in the water). You are unlikely to boil at tickover if the fan can run. At that stage you can replace the cap and ignore the odd dribble from the overflow and the system should be full and if properly designed it will have bled itself and will look after itself from then on. It will happily spit out any excess water if overfilled.
franky

posted on 30/10/11 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Awesome

Bet it helps with motivation no end. Keep up the good work.

adithorp

posted on 30/10/11 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Either you over filled the expantion bottle (max is usually 1/2 to 2/3 up the bottle) or more likely the cap isn't holding full presure.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

BigLee

posted on 30/10/11 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one fella. Getting nearer! What master cylinder did you use for the clutch? Donor from S2000 or 'other?' It could be that the diameter is different. Or as you suggest, the length of the lever is simply shorter.

Lee

daniel mason

posted on 30/10/11 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
I got the same size master cylinder that was on the donor.but a wilwood one to suit the pedal box!
The header tank is probably 3/4 full when engine off

first350

posted on 1/11/11 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
my expansion tank also overflowed...I think it was due to air bubbles trapped in the block expanding...took awhile to get everything purged. I finally added a drain tube from the overflow spout on the expansion tank to the bottom of the car - having coolant dripping onto the scuttle area was getting way too messy!

congrats on getting it running...post vids soon, would love to hear the exhaust!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.