Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bleeding brakes
jlayton

posted on 28/4/12 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
bleeding brakes

as above been trying to bleed my brakes the last few days and i know theyre not on a servo etc but the pedal just dont seem right. ( i have bleed many brakes aswell so no all the basics and where to start from)

the problem is when i bleed the back brakes the pedal sort of hits a dead end in the master cylinder i.e cant push it any further down if you try. then when i go to bleed the front the pedal just drops to the floor and does not return . iv manualy returned the pedal and made sure there is no air bubbles in all 4 corners.

the car does stop when pushing it 3 foot forward in my garden. but the brake pedal sort of goes to the " dead end point i mentioned" which is about 1" - 1.5" down then goes solid. is that correct and sound right? or is it a case of getting it out of the garden and just try them properly on the road

daviep

posted on 28/4/12 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like you have a problem with the MC, possibly a piston stuck at the end of it's travel would be my guess.

Easiest way to test the MC is to remove the pipes and screw bleed nipples into the ports, pump the pedal with one nipple open at a time to check each piston is moving fluid then close both nipples and the pedal should then be rock solid.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

jlayton

posted on 3/5/12 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
just bought a new mc and fitted and exactly the same. front stop instantly and nothing to the rears. if i pump the pedal it does stay hard and the rears will then work only when pumped. checked pistons in all calipers and are all fine . is it a case of putting it back on the road now and getting all the rubbish of them where theyv been sat in the garden ?
rusty nuts

posted on 3/5/12 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have the calipers fitted so that each bleed nipple is at the top? Did you manually adjust the clearance between the disc and the pads with the handbrake cable slackened off??
jlayton

posted on 3/5/12 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
yes i adjusted the pads in with the hand brake and the 2 front calipers nipple is at top and the 2 rears it is faces down hill which i thought was correct?
daviep

posted on 3/5/12 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jlayton
yes i adjusted the pads in with the hand brake and the 2 front calipers nipple is at top and the 2 rears it is faces down hill which i thought was correct?

Bleed nipples need to be at the top on all calipers so that the air is pushed out as the caliper fills with fluid.

I did tell you how to test the MC

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

jlayton

posted on 3/5/12 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
understand your saying they have got to be facing uphill but is this a 100% must. as i bought the car tax/mot'd. i then stripped it to rebuild it myself and everything has been put back as it was. as i took photos of everything before i dismantled
jlayton

posted on 3/5/12 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
i dont no how to upload a picture on here so iv got 1 off google and iv put it in my archive. its the same set up as iv done mine
40inches

posted on 3/5/12 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jlayton
understand your saying they have got to be facing uphill but is this a 100% must. as i bought the car tax/mot'd. i then stripped it to rebuild it myself and everything has been put back as it was. as i took photos of everything before i dismantled

Absolutely, 100%, definitely, Yes! or you will never get them bled properly, if you don't want to swop them over remove calliper's and hang them up, with the bleed nipples facing up, while you bleed them.

jlayton

posted on 3/5/12 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
ok thanks for that i will try and hang them up while i bleed them tomorrow . if i was to swap them over the hand brake cable and s/s flexi would not reach ? i have looked in a few guys archives and they seem to have got them the same as me.
40inches

posted on 3/5/12 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
True! But they would have to remove, and hang them, to bleed them

jlayton

posted on 3/5/12 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
ok cheers mate i will try tomorrow and see how i get on
maccmike

posted on 3/5/12 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
I had similar problem. Was adamant there was no air in line, got spare person to pump pedal then hold it down, open nipple slightly, air came out. Did this few times = sweet brake pedal.
jlayton

posted on 6/5/12 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
just got back from a weekend away with this kids. gone into the garden took the rear calipers off spun them round so nipple is at top bleed them, and pefect

cheers people

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.