Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: O/T Car roof box to buy, or advice on roof bags
DarrenW

posted on 11/4/13 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
O/T Car roof box to buy, or advice on roof bags

Im on the look out for a good sized car roof box if anyone has one. Im not looking to pay a fortune and hopefully it will be local. Im in Bishop Auckland (between Durham and Darlington).

Never had one before so not sure about size required. I was thinking big enough to put 2 kids and a dog in for when we drive down to Brighton to see the folks.

Car is Audi A3 if that makes a difference.

Ive just won a set of roof rails off ebay. Unfortunately they are in Stowmarket and marked up as collection only. Fingers crossed they allow me to send a courier!! If not i can wait for a box!!

Thanks in advance,
Darren.

[Edited on 12/4/13 by DarrenW]

Agriv8

posted on 11/4/13 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at the odessey 360 at wilco motor save http://www.wilcodirect.co.uk save bought one 3 years ago and done at least 3 trips to france on top of my a6. No wind nose < 80/90 MPH ( in europe of course !!) and I am very happy with it.

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

mitch2b

posted on 11/4/13 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
got one here you could have for £30 but were in chorley lancs, large size came of a toyota verso, original eqp i think has it has toyota written on side,
only prob i boarded the loft in garge with it up there, lol so will need digging out lol,

£30 and its yours,
another £30 for set of verso roof bars if anyone has any use for them

Mitch
kids would have to lie flat as its quite streamlined lol

[Edited on 11/4/13 by mitch2b]

steve m

posted on 11/4/13 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
"I was thinking big enough to put 2 kids and a dog in for when we drive down to Brighton to see the folks. "

hahahahaha

When we go away, i stick the kids in the caravan, and if they need me, they flash a torch

mitch2b

posted on 11/4/13 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
both very illegal lol, but keeps it quite in the car,

mitch

Madinventions

posted on 11/4/13 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
U2U sent re Stowmarket collection...

Mojo build diary: http://www.madinventions.co.uk

Solo music project: Syrrenfor http://www.reverbnation.com/syrrenfor

View my band website:
http://www.shadowlight.org.uk

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk/

DarrenW

posted on 12/4/13 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mitch2b
got one here you could have for £30 but were in chorley lancs, large size came of a toyota verso, original eqp i think has it has toyota written on side,
only prob i boarded the loft in garge with it up there, lol so will need digging out lol,

£30 and its yours,
another £30 for set of verso roof bars if anyone has any use for them

Mitch
kids would have to lie flat as its quite streamlined lol

Im rather tempted. Price is right but as you say not exactly local. I wonder if anyone with a set of roof bars on their car ever come up this way....................

DarrenW

posted on 12/4/13 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone ever used these roof bags before? Look like a good idea as they should be easier to store.
NEW 340L CAR ROOF TRAVEL TOURING TOP CARGO PACK BAG EASY FOLDABLE ROOF BOX | eBay

Are they any good?

Andybarbet

posted on 12/4/13 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
I had one on my freelander for camping stuff but no matter what i did it flapped a lot !

I ended up giving it away & picked up a 2nd hand roofbox.

The box is great, once bolted on you can forget about it & its easier if you fill it with smaller items. The roofbag had to be completely full or else it flapped about even more, I drove back from one holiday at 50mph because no matter what I did the bag flapped around at anything over 50.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

DarrenW

posted on 12/4/13 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Andy, i didnt think about it flapping, but did think that if it was any less than full i would have to attach some extra ratchet straps to keep it all tight.
DarrenW

posted on 12/6/13 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
Just thought id resurrect this wanted ad again. The bars i won in Stowmarket fell through. In fairness the seller did say collection only but i tried to chance my luck on courier collection - it turned out however that he was emigrating the day after the auction so it didnt work out.

Anyway, ive won another set of bars this week in Ipswich so will be sorting collection out soon. That means im on the look out for another cheap roof box if anybody local has one.

The 'new' bars have 4 bike racks attached which is a great bonus, so im half tempted to try one of those bags as i may be able to put 2 bikes and the bag on the roof. Flapping about would be a nuisance though - has anyone had success making them quiet with extra straps and gaffer tape etc?

Cheers,
Darren.

dhutch

posted on 12/6/13 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
When I was a kid (mid 80's) we used to use a pair of early Samsonite suitcases on the roof, these happened to nest perfectly with the oem bars on our Montego but also where surprisingly water tight all bar the leading hinge (they only fitted one way, it was that good a fit) and old ones can proberbly be had for buttons second hand now.

[img]http://www.samluggage.com/soy384059.jpg[img]

We have a 900L Thule box which goes a treat on the top of the 806 but would probably hide a A3! If you going to be doing a lot of miles areo considerations or valid and boxes by the likes of thule are longer and thinner for this reason, but also tend to cost more initially.

I have also seen twobar mounted boxes in europe but these seem less common in the UK.

I have no experience of using bags.

Daniel

DarrenW

posted on 12/6/13 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Daniel. I might try putting the case on the roof and see what it looks like. Could easily put items in plastic bags before loading it up. This might even allow enough space on the side for a couple of bikes.

The car is going to have more stuff on the outside than inside!! Normally i would just use the boot, but dog takes most of that up.

I will keep an eye out for a proper box, as you say they must be more aero than a suitcase. 900L box must be massive, i dont think my boot is anywhere near as big as that!

dhutch

posted on 12/6/13 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW... 900L box must be massive...

Im not going to lie, its a fair sized box!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.