Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Congratulations BBC! .............. Not :-((
Surrey Dave

posted on 11/11/13 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations BBC! .............. Not :-((

Yes, we have seen the last MotoGP coverage from the illustrious Beeb!

Last year they lose out on F1 coverage to share with SKY,

This year MotoGP to BT Sport (who the hell watches that channel, football fans!!!)

It's unbelievable considering the BBC coverage of both was faultless to my mind................

eddie99

posted on 11/11/13 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
BT Seem to be buying over everything.. Im sure even sky are under threat, Give it a few years and it'll all be on BT.

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
steve m

posted on 11/11/13 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
It called making money ?

we are all in that somewhere

I have the sports package with Virgin, and get it free, but doubt I will in a coupe of years time

Steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Slimy38

posted on 11/11/13 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddie99
BT Seem to be buying over everything.. Im sure even sky are under threat, Give it a few years and it'll all be on BT.

Sky's shares dropped when that last announcement was made...

nick205

posted on 11/11/13 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by eddie99

Sky's shares dropped when that last announcement was made...

So did BT's

MikeRJ

posted on 11/11/13 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Since the BBC have lost coverage of such major sports, it appears a significant reduction in the licence fee must be due?
chrism

posted on 11/11/13 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Since the BBC have lost coverage of such major sports, it appears a significant reduction in the licence fee must be due?

I have now got rid of my licence, I found out from the licencing website that you only need one if you watch or record live TV, you dont need one to own a TV or use catchup services.

I found that the only things i watched live anymore were the F1 and MotoGP other stuff I tended to record and watch later so now that the Beeb can only show half of the F1 races and MotoGPs gone it didnt seem worth it anymore, so they now no longer get my money, I'm also at bit pissed off about all these massive payouts people keep getting who leave the BBC, there is no way these people should be getting payed that much money especially when the british public are forced to have to pay for a TV licence that only pays towards the BBC even if they want to watch other channels.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

nick205

posted on 11/11/13 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^^^^

If I didn't have young kids I'd do the same and just use the catchup services.

steve m

posted on 11/11/13 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
MMM. tell me more

As I did not know you (or I) could opt out

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

scimjim

posted on 11/11/13 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrismI have now got rid of my licence, I found out from the licencing website that you only need one if you watch or record live TV, you dont need one to own a TV or use catchup services.

not true I'm afraid "You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast." that's very different to watching "live" TV.

chris-g

posted on 11/11/13 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Are we likely to get any free (non subscription) Moto GP coverage next year, even highlights would be good?
nick205

posted on 11/11/13 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scimjim
quote:
Originally posted by chrismI have now got rid of my licence, I found out from the licencing website that you only need one if you watch or record live TV, you dont need one to own a TV or use catchup services.

not true I'm afraid "You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast." that's very different to watching "live" TV.

I think by "live" the OP refers to watching/recording TV as it's being broadcast. You certainly don't need a licence to own a TV set or use catchup TV services.

www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/technology--devices-and-online-top8/

As super fast BB becomes more available, the line between broadcast and on demand will blur very quickly. Personally, I think TV and the broadcast industry as a whole faces a massive change, like that already seen by the printed media industry. Those that don't or can't adapt will fail quickly and there will be a much greater number of smaller more agile broadcasters.

Many of our customers at work are in the broadcast sector and the cost of setting up a channel (TV, radio, web) has tumbled over the last decade. It used to be mega investment, now it's a few people and a few grands worth of hardware and software plus a good internet connection. It's difficult to see long term how the BBC fits into this model and how long the tax payer wants what they can offer without paying more or being subbed by the government(taxpayers).

trifield

posted on 11/11/13 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
I installed a cheap satellite system last year specifically to watch F1 which was shown free on RTL Channel.

Motogp free practice, qualifying and races were shown this year free on Sport1 Channel.

The downside is commentary for both is in German, however for F1 you can sync the picture with BBC Radio commentary.

Sport1 also showed live World Superbikes. I also get Eurosport (German) free.

chrism

posted on 11/11/13 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scimjim
quote:

When I said "Live" TV I meant as its being broadcast, and not being watched on a demand service.

skodaman

posted on 12/11/13 at 01:23 AM Reply With Quote
Google it Steve M. I've not opted out of the tv. licence yet but I know people who have. There's loads of info on it available. And don't worry about TV detector vans they're just another con. They just pick addresses that haven't got licences. It might even stop Skodawoman watching x-factor cos she never uses the computer.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 12/11/13 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
I got rid of TV tax plus a bonus with the TV , the couch and occupier on the couch.

Dont miss it at all. Found hobbys and house builds to keep me busy.
If mum finds something worthy of attention i get emailed a link and i check it out there.
Other than that I cant say I miss TV at all.

chrism

posted on 12/11/13 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skodaman
And don't worry about TV detector vans they're just another con.

Plus if they do turn up you dont even have to let them into your house to check as they have no legal right to enter your property without your permission if I remember correctly.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.