Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Le Mans 2014
AndyW

posted on 22/11/13 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Le Mans 2014

Hi all,

Right I have never been to Le Mans, but my brother goes each year. for next year I have been offered a free ticket, that's the ferry crossing and the ticket into the race and camping, so all I have to do is supply my fuel and food. Sounds like a plan.

Now, I plan to go in the kit. Currently have only an aeroscreen. Winter mod is to fit a windscreen so I can chooses either. Now, when driving to Le Mans is 421 miles according to google maps. So, shall I fit a windscreen? What about wet weather gear, side doors etc. I don't want to have to throw a bucket of cash at the car. Apparently there is a place where you drive through on the Monday after the race and the local town all come out and chuck water bombs, etc at the cars as they cruise through? I also know that it usually rains at some stage.

So, should I man up and wear a crash helmet for 400+ miles and some thermals, or make a roof that is good enough to last the journey and so on???

This is a bit of a road trip that me and my brother have always spoken about since we were young, so will be the perfect opportunity considering the ticket is free!

He also said that the drive down will be more of a cruise compared to previous years (which is good as such a long drive in the kit somewhat worries me) due to the types of cars in the convoy.

Opinions please, also anyone gone in the kit and offer some useful advise, things to take, things to leave etc

Thanks

Andy

Smokey mow

posted on 22/11/13 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
I've been to LeMans almost every year since 1995 and for as long as I can remember it has normally rained at some point during the week and typically in biblical proportions. The year I built my Westfield I took it it to LeMans only 2 months after SVA and I'll never forget the drive back home in torrential rain and thunderstorms. i was so glad I had a hood
gremlin1234

posted on 22/11/13 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
you also have to be prepared for scorching hot sun
snapper

posted on 22/11/13 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
421 miles is a mission without screen and doors
And you can take them off when you get home
Wipers are a good idea if driving in the rain I first fitted screen.
It rained
When I got back I fitted wipers
Side doors means you can drive swiftly with roof off and no helmet

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

ceebmoj

posted on 22/11/13 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
I drove to lemans a couple of years ago in my bec locost, no doors or screan its a great drive just make sure you have some layers ready for wether changes. The only other tip I have is practice for road tols, harneses and sitting on the wrong side is hard work.
matt_gsxr

posted on 22/11/13 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
If you fit a screen then also fit a roof.

Did le Mans in Westfield with screen and no roof and when the rain came we needed wipers on the inside.

My Phoenix with aeroscreen isn't too bad in the wet (with motorcycle helmet), just need decent clothing but 400 miles would be a very long way.
Why not do the long Portsmouth Caen ferry crossing then it is much shorter jaunt and you can have some beers and let your brother drive on the way back!

b3ngy

posted on 23/11/13 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Why not do the long Portsmouth Caen ferry crossing then it is much shorter jaunt and you can have some beers and let your brother drive on the way back!

I agree. Ive been 3 times now and have always gone from portsmouth (I only live 15mins from the port) to either caen or st malo. Its a much shorter drive once your in france, only 100miles give or take.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.