Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: are cheap cars worth the saving?
morcus

posted on 2/1/14 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
are cheap cars worth the saving?

If it was a choice between a brand new car and a used car it wouold be easy but due to the way cars depreciate I've noticed that for the £4000 I was looking at spending on an 06ish focus I can have a 08/09 Lancer or a Laccetti and some change (Well theoretical change as I'm wanting to buy on finance) so my question really is, are they cheaper for a reason, other than badge snobbery and are there any draw backs to watch out for besides depreciation?

I usually enjoy looking for cars but this time my requirements mean everything available is boring so if any one has any sugestions to look out for that are about Focus sized and available with an autobox for an 05 plate or newer without having ridiculous milages let me know.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

StevieB

posted on 2/1/14 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
I share your pain - 6 months ago we went looking for a cheap runnabout car and once we'd gone through all the pie in the sky exciting ideas and got our feet back on the ground, we went shopping for an Aygo/107/C1. It was about as exciting as buying a new fridge - it just needed to tick the boxes we needed and nothing more.

I think it comes down to badge snobbery - there's not really such thing as an unreliable car anymore (not in the old sense at least) and the 'lesser' marques probably tend to have more standard equipment than equivelent main stream brands and longer warranties to attract people to buy new.

sdh2903

posted on 2/1/14 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
They are usually cheap for a reason, I would rather drive something older and more interesting than a newer Korean silver box (or similar).

Ive just had to sell my 07 focus St to get my finances a bit straighter for buying another house, to do this I gave myself a budget of 2k to get something. I ended up with an 03 bmw 330 sport auto with only 77k and stacks of history. I did break my budget by a couple of hundred quid. It is marginally more economical than the focus and its absolutely lovely to drive with all the toys. Granted something like this may not suit your requirements but I was amazed at what could be had for 2k, with your 4k the options just increase. Obviously all depends on your exact requirements for running costs, insurance, mpg etc etc.

morcus

posted on 2/1/14 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thats the big problem, loads of stuff I'd like but can't justify so it's really a choice between a far eastern silver box and a european silver box. The big issue I see with the a silver euro option is I'll never find it in a carpark.

sdh2903

posted on 2/1/14 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Why justify it life's too short

If we all had to justify our kit's there'd be none on the roads!!

cliftyhanger

posted on 2/1/14 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
I suspect the cheap newer cars will continue to depreciate heavily. When it comes to older cars people trust ford/vw/map stuff over Korean. Besides, some cheaper cars really feel cheap, but are getting better.

4k should buy something pretty decent. In fact half that will turn up some excellent motors.
A friend bought a w plate Honda crv (think that is right, the 4wd thing) from a garage for 2k about 4 years ago. Hardly needs any money spending apart from servicing. Even then a cambelt was cheaper at Honda than the independents.
Our zafira is 10 years old and worth about 10p now. But that never goes wrong.......as in under £200 on repairs in the last 8 years.

big_wasa

posted on 2/1/14 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Most owner sites have buyers guides for there marque. Find the best car for your needs and check out what's what, some are cheap for a reason and some is just brand snobbery.
theconrodkid

posted on 2/1/14 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Fiat,cheap as chips but still fun to drive.
and dont bellive all the stuff about them being unreliable,they just have "character"

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

sdh2903

posted on 2/1/14 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Give us a list of requirements, which ones are rigid and which ones are flexible. Am sure you will get some good suggestions
Proby

posted on 2/1/14 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not a fan of the cheaper stuff, but thats just me. I'm not really a badge snob (own a Skoda as well as my main car). The cheaper stuff does depreciate much quicker than the others. As an example, my Grandad has an 05 plate Hyundai Getz he has had from brand new, went back into Hyundai dealers last week to look at a new car, part exchange offered = £600 on a new car.
On the other hand, my mother took her 56 plate Toyota Yaris (Similar size to Getz) in last week and get offered £3800 by Toyota & £4000 by Honda part exchange values. It makes a difference that the new car my mother looked at was more expensive (list price) than the one my grandad looked at (obviously the dealer can maybe flex more on a higher list price), but fook me its a big difference for a similar age/size car. Both cars have around 38,000 miles on.

Visit GraphicMonster

steve m

posted on 2/1/14 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
If you want cheap cars, buy a write off

Im on my third cat "c write off" and will never buy anything but from now on, plus ive sold the cars on, and not lost any money
and I am allways up front with the description about the damage, and can supply pics/evidence to say

Steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Scuzzle

posted on 2/1/14 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
You will just have to do your homework and see what cars hold their value and what does not. Usually cars with big engines and spares that can be expensive and hard to source that depreciate like nothing on earth. I feel sorry for the guys who used the scrappage scheme a few years ago to buy brand new Korean, Malaysian etc cars which were bound to depreciate like crazy just for the sake of having a split new car.

I swear by old Toyota's and I've never spend a penny on any I've owned but they are just so boring, but when I get fed up with them and try something more interesting and it starts costing me I realise boring is not so bad.

morcus

posted on 2/1/14 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
What I need is a car less than 10 years old with an autobox those are the only requirements that are set in stone. Ideally about the size of a focus as I've got to move a fair bit of stuff but also spend alot of time in places where a bigger car will cause me hassle. Because of tax insurance and fuel consumption I'm looking really at an engine between 1.5 and 2 litres and petrol is prefered.

I'm not bothered about further depreciation, but I need a car thats likely to be reliable and do pretty boring things. Mostly short journies but I'm going to have to travel with equipment to places a few hundred miles away once every couple of months.

If I didn't have the age requirement (It's a work thing, car can't be more than 12) I'd just buy another really cheap car but my fixed requirements mean something really boring.

mookaloid

posted on 2/1/14 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'd much rather have an older good quality car than a newer cheap n nasty thing.

I just bought a 53 plate Saab 9-5 Aero Estate 2.3T 250BHP with 70k miles. Virtually nothing wrong with it for £1500 and that was over £30k new. It's an absolute pleasure to drive and if I'd had a £4k budget like you I would have £2500 saved in the bank for a rainy day.

As it was I got Mrs Mooky a 9-3 Aero convertible and still had change left from the £4k.

I bought my last Saab for £2000 5 years ago and I've done 50,000 miles in it since then. I even got a few hundred for it a couple of months back when I got rid.

Ok Saabs might not be your thing but The 330 BMW mentioned above sounds great and there are loads of great cars out there for less than your budget.

I'd cry if I spent £4k of my hard earned on a Lacetti

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

morcus

posted on 2/1/14 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
I'd love a Saab but it wouldn't fit my requirements, and if I go over ten year old I'd have to buy with my own money which brings my budget down to about £1k. The arguement at the moment is more a £2.5K Lacetti over a £4K focus thats a couple of years older.

sdh2903

posted on 2/1/14 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
There's no real contest, it's the focus if you want something that's worth more than 5p after a couple of years
mookaloid

posted on 2/1/14 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
A few suggestions:

eBay Item

eBay Item

eBay Item

eBay Item

eBay Item - couldn't resist this one

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

russbost

posted on 2/1/14 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Proby
I'm not a fan of the cheaper stuff, but thats just me. I'm not really a badge snob (own a Skoda as well as my main car). The cheaper stuff does depreciate much quicker than the others. As an example, my Grandad has an 05 plate Hyundai Getz he has had from brand new, went back into Hyundai dealers last week to look at a new car, part exchange offered = £600 on a new car.
On the other hand, my mother took her 56 plate Toyota Yaris (Similar size to Getz) in last week and get offered £3800 by Toyota & £4000 by Honda part exchange values. It makes a difference that the new car my mother looked at was more expensive (list price) than the one my grandad looked at (obviously the dealer can maybe flex more on a higher list price), but fook me its a big difference for a similar age/size car. Both cars have around 38,000 miles on.

Unless there is something drastically wrong with the Getz that you've not mentioned it would make more than double the £600 if you just auctioned it! Hardly a representative example of a cheap car - also what did the Getz cost new & with how much servicing/warranty included, & how much the Toyota with same comparisons - I don't think it's as clear cut as you're suggesting!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
mark chandler

posted on 2/1/14 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
In general I've always bought older quality cars, couple of cars actually made money of all things XJS's !

One was knackered, £675 drove for 9 months and part ex'd for £1000 against a 3 year old cat c XJS fir £5,750 which I ran for 18 months 40,000 miles then sold only at£6,000

Plenty of great cars within your price range, take a hit on economy and drive something nice with little depreciation.

If you do want new the best advice I can give is get the base model, in relative terms these lose less.

[Edited on 2/1/14 by mark chandler]

richard thomas

posted on 2/1/14 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
I just scrapped my 53 plate Mondeo 2.0lx.....it's the newest car I had in the 'fleet' but I have too many to look after.

It only failed the MOT on a spring, wheel bearing and some brake pipes but I just didn't have the time to fix....plus it would only have been worth a couple of hundred quid MOT'd....I got £170 scrap value.

That said, If I wanted to drive around the world the long way round, then that's the car I would've done it in - until the MOT fail it was indestructible - 9 years and 130000 miles on 4 oil changes, 2 sets of plugs, some tyres discs and pads and on the original exhaust still...

What I am getting at is that there are a lot of 'cash point' cars out there which will serve you proud......and cost absolutely zero in depreciation....

I do miss it though....bless it! If it wasn't for the other bags of sh*te I own I would have kept it....

Proby

posted on 2/1/14 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
quote:
Originally posted by Proby

Unless there is something drastically wrong with the Getz that you've not mentioned it would make more than double the £600 if you just auctioned it! Hardly a representative example of a cheap car - also what did the Getz cost new & with how much servicing/warranty included, & how much the Toyota with same comparisons - I don't think it's as clear cut as you're suggesting!

Maybe, but even pricing the Getz at £1200 I think my point would still be valid!

Visit GraphicMonster

Volvorsport

posted on 2/1/14 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
buy a £250 volvo or saab and forget the rest .....lol

if you can afford 25- 30 mpg depending how you drive it , they really will last a life time . i paid £280 for S70 3 years ago , its an SE so has everything on it , its a bit smoky , i dont give a feck , its cost me one anti roll bar link for the last two mots , i bought it with 11 months mot....

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.