Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DVLA...I'm Stressed!!! :(
Adam

posted on 26/6/08 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
DVLA...I'm Stressed!!! :(

This is a bit of a long one but hopefully someone might tell me if it's right or not.

I've filled out the SVA forms ready to send off, all i need to do is add the chassis number. Well... read up on it on here and decided it's best to ring the dvla. Nice bloke spoke to me and informed me that tha DVLA have changed the rules. You can not make your own up now and you have to go to your local dvla office and be issued one. I was actually at junction 26 of the M1 so thought i'd pop into my local nottingham office. Q'd up for an hour and finally got to the desk. She was unsure so went to ask. Came back stating i had to right them a letter..... so wrote one there and then she said fine, some one will be in touch, either by phone of letter. I left happy.

2 minutes down the road i got a call. She said letter was fine but before they issue a chassis number they have to inspect the car... she said she'd booked me in for the 15th july....i said fine, do you need my address? She replied with, no, we don't do home visits.... i have to bring the car on a trailer... i don't have access to one.

Do you really have to go to this much hassle to get a chassis number Any help would be appreciated cause all i want to do is get my car on the road, missing all this sunshine

Adam

richardh

posted on 26/6/08 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
made the mistake of asking the DVLA
should have just made your own and shoved it on the forms

do sva / mot then hand paperwork to dvla office.

all dvla offices seem to make their own rules.

use another one if you can and save the hassle

bbwales

posted on 26/6/08 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Adam,

I made my own up and stamped onto the chassis. Booked and passed the SVA then had to have the DVLA inspection where they were happy with the chassis number and issued me my number and tax disk the following day, this was all in May/June.

Hope that helps.

Bob

Humbug

posted on 26/6/08 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Commiserations! Sounds like the DVLA are up to their old tricks (left hand, right hand, etc.). I hope you get it sorted
RichardK

posted on 26/6/08 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Adam, ask him to put it in writing that the rules have changed about this and also send you back copies of the relevant documentation that supports this "new rule".

I know proper pain in the arse but try and get the persons name so you can correspond with the same person.

But I would go with RichardH's suggestion

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 26/6/08 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
swanny

posted on 26/6/08 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
dvla

built up inspection was now 7 weeks ago. DVLA have managed to reject the V5 application three times now due to wholly incorrect reasons, them losing my paperwork, not knowing how their own system works and it taking them so long to process my cover note ran out!

DVLA stressed? I'm with you. lets have a revolution.

Adam

posted on 26/6/08 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
so if i made my own up just for the sva their shouldn't be a problem? I just want to get it sorted.... so many different stories, doing my head in....and there's me thinking this would be the easy part of the build
coozer

posted on 26/6/08 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
i sent a letter to my local office asking if my homemade chassis number was OK (ie unique)

Got a nice letter back saying chassis number was OK along with the V5/55 and the bottom line of the letter said please use another office to register your car after SVA

Just makes me laugh cause I sent my SVA forms off on the 28th April and after 7 weeks they've given me the 15 july as a date. I'll be rolling up to DVLA with my MAC and just take it from there!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

David Jenkins

posted on 26/6/08 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
I wrote them a 'how do I do SVA' letter early on in my build; in that letter I proposed my own VIN and asked if it was OK.

They sent back a heap of forms together with a covering letter that said that my proposed VIN was OK.

cloudy

posted on 26/6/08 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
I spent ages with this, depending on who you spoke to you got everything from what's a chassis number? to chassis numbers are now banned.

The best solution seems to be make your own and then sort any problems that arise with it later...

richardh

posted on 26/6/08 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
make it 17 digits, unique and shove it on paperwork.
dont submit paperwork to dvla until after sva
job done - that way gov dept will have to blame gov dept and you can get them playing each other (which they wont do in writing)

nitram38

posted on 26/6/08 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
As said make your own. You can then enter it in an online vin checker. Just do a search on google. It will be easy not to have the same 17 digit vin. Just think how hard it is to pick the right 6 numbers for the lotto!
Think of it this way, when a car is imported from Japan and has to be sva'ed, it will already have a Japanese vin.
Unless the DVLA now run the Japanese registration,(which it doesn't) then the DVLA will have to accept the vin provided by the imported car.
So just provide your own.
For all they know, you bought the chassis with it on, the same as if you bought an imported car.

Adam

posted on 26/6/08 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Think I'll cancel the appointment and make my own up am i right in thinking it can be and combination of letters and number 17 digits long?

Cheers
adam

richardh

posted on 26/6/08 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
yes
eg mnrvortxrtr112345

chrisg

posted on 26/6/08 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Yup

Mine's my name and phone number!

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

adithorp

posted on 26/6/08 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
17 digits (no I's, Q's or o's).

adrian

donut

posted on 26/6/08 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Even if you make your own number up the DVLA will still want to see the car (hope i'm wrong here !!). You could try another DVLA Office who do home visits.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 26/6/08 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donut
Even if you make your own number up the DVLA will still want to see the car (hope i'm wrong here !!). You could try another DVLA Office who do home visits.

I did this after the sva.
Wimbledon came out and visited the car. The next day I went to their office (minus car) and picked up my tax and reg certificate for the number plates.
The certificate is to give to your local plate supplier as the V5 takes a bit longer to recieve.

jamestziros

posted on 26/6/08 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
I am too in this situation at the moment, I made up my own VIN, 15 numbers at first as I was told this would be ok, then told to change it to 17, after my SVA had passed & accepted the 15 digit one. & now they are saying I need a 17 digit one issued by them...!

I recomend getting one from them, Borehamwood said they do do home visits but his was not till I took it to them after they said they dont....

A tick box on the VOSA form would be sufficient to say the car is what it is.

Good luck

JT

02GF74

posted on 26/6/08 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adam
so if i made my own up just for the sva their shouldn't be a problem? I just want to get it sorted.... so many different stories, doing my head in....and there's me thinking this would be the easy part of the build

wrong - the other part of the build you did by yourself or with the help of knowledgeable people; you are not dealing with government backed buffoonery, what can you expect?

I posted letter about chassis number- take a peak.

in my case I wrote to dvla iwth chassis number which they said was ok but cannot guarantee to be unique!!! WTF??? can;t they check the dvla computer? oh m no that is too busy looking on expired SORNS and other rubbish.

I nthe end I made up my own number, stamped on chassis and hob done.

there is a mimimum number of digits - think it is 9 so I would suggest you go for a numnber 1 or 2 digits less, if there is a duplicate - and regardless wot thingy said about winning the lotto (I guess I could work out probablility but can't bne bothered), sod's law will mean you will have chosen and identicla one since you will have selected somehting like MKINDY2008xxxxx whihc reduces the chances of uniqueness.

if the chassis number is chosrtt, yo ucan always stamp on another digits, hmmmm but no guaratnetee that is unique either....

wasn't there a link to dval chassis number check site?

pif

posted on 26/6/08 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
defo make your own up. As for the home visit, ring Swansea and ask for your case to be transferred to an office that does home visits. It will be your local office that come out anyway. But only do it after SVA.

been a bit of a rush job really, bodged it all together in just 5 1/2 years.

Adam

posted on 26/6/08 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
well after several calls to the dvla and getting no joy, i cancelled the inspection and made up my chassis number forms for SVA are in the post.

Thanks for all the replies chaps...much appreciated.

Adam

Valtra

posted on 27/6/08 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
I Rang DVLA Swansea and they said write or FAX your local office . I faxed Peterborough and got a quick reply from a guy who seems pretty clued up and not too officious. He arranged the standard letter to be sent to me stating that I have no chassis number stamped and to get the new one given on the letter stamped ASAP . It was easy and quick and the guy has kept in touch to see if I was ready for inspection . He just told me to ring as soon as I have a MAC and bring the car up to him, hopefuly while it is still on the trailer from the SVA
stuart_g

posted on 27/6/08 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
I too am having a nightmare. I am dealing with the Ipswich office. I have had a right argument with them today. I have now got to write to Yamaha and get them to confirm in writing that an R1 engine is 998cc. Imagine what the person at Yamaha is going to say when I ask for that!. When I questioned why they said that a 1000cc engine is small to fit in a kit car. I'm sure they think I am trying to pull a fast one as the donor was 2.0l and I'm going down in tax class therefore paying less money for tax. The customer services manager even admitted to me that she know's that an R1 is 1000cc but they still won't accept it. I have even shown them a Yamaha spec sheet given to me by the local dealer.
They also want to issue me a chassis number of their own although I have one that is the same format as every other MNR on the road which is 14 digits, they want me to have a 17 digit vin. I said to them i'd add 3 digits on but they said no to that aswell as it might not be unique, they then tried to give me a form to take to a garage to get them to stamp it on the car. Needless to say I told her where to poke it and walked out.

They are the most incompetent bunch of people I have ever dealt with.

I asked them if I could use a different office and was told I could so I am going to see if I get the same story. Hopefully get to one on Monday.

Feeling well pi$$ed off at the moment and starting to loose interest in the whole thing, I really can't be bothered dealing with these people. If I get no joy next week I think my only option is to take the car to MNR and let them do it, they don't seem to have a problem with their local office.

[Edited on 27/6/08 by stuart_g]

eccsmk

posted on 27/6/08 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
i too rang/ visited and wrote to the dvla
with no joy so i visited a kit builder who said create your own chassis number write it on all your forms send it off and if they DO have a problem with it they will sort it out
so thats what i did and so far so good
ATB

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.