Board logo

Doune Hillclimb Vid
athoirs - 23/4/12 at 06:53 PM

Was a Doune Virgin until this weekend, What can I say- 53 seconds of crapping myself!

Doune

madteg - 23/4/12 at 06:59 PM

Bloody hell good job you didnt get it wrong, sounds great.

cerbera - 23/4/12 at 07:03 PM

Looks a bit on the narrow side

britishtrident - 23/4/12 at 07:06 PM

Thing about hillclimbs is you don't get time to settle yourself in
At Doune I used to love the very steep bit just before the finish it feels like sitting in a rocket -- it seems a lot steeper from the driving seat than as a spectator or in the video.

I went off Doune a bit after we lost Norrie Galbraith..........................

paublo999 - 23/4/12 at 07:46 PM

Scary place, not too shabby doing a 53 on a drizzly day. Takes seat time to learn how to navigate that hill. I got down to a low 47 but have never been confident like our other venues. Ross went up in a rather scary 44 in the radical. Eek

Garden gate is key to carrying speed otherwise it becomes a power hill.

Shame I missed it but planning to be up it later this year

zilspeed - 23/4/12 at 07:59 PM

Liked the wee laugh at the end

johnny chimpo - 23/4/12 at 08:02 PM

I was up yesterday for the first time, only spectating tho!

Was a really good day gona try and go along to doune and kames the next time they are on. Might even look into joining in next season!

paublo999 - 23/4/12 at 08:07 PM

If you go along to spectate you must walk the hill first thing. Then you appreciate just how blind all of the lower half of the hill is

nick205 - 23/4/12 at 08:20 PM

I'm guessing the first section feels even narrower than it looks when you're tucked up in the driving seat?

maccmike - 23/4/12 at 08:48 PM

no room for errors there mate.

britishtrident - 23/4/12 at 08:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
I'm guessing the first section feels even narrower than it looks when you're tucked up in the driving seat?

Not called the Tunnel for nothing --- really a bit odd having the spectators above you.

paublo999 - 23/4/12 at 08:59 PM

It's also bumpier than you would expect and the car skips around a lot. That encourages you to lift but you must not brake until garden gate

Track being resurfaced before the British round in a few months so will hopefully be smoooooth

PAUL FISHER - 23/4/12 at 09:17 PM

You even kept your toe down on the grass, a sign of a true racer well done, I would love a go at the hill climbs, but I know the way I drive it would all end in tears

daniel mason - 23/4/12 at 09:23 PM

why not try barbon on 12/05/12 paul? surely not a bad place to start on the hills!

PAUL FISHER - 23/4/12 at 09:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
why not try barbon on 12/05/12 paul? surely not a bad place to start on the hills!

A bit more room for error there Daniel, hillclimbs are on my to do list when I get the car ready, a day here would be a good place for me to start I think.

http://www.harewoodhill.com/competitors/school/