Board logo

Donington - Complete waste of money!
Rob Lane - 16/9/06 at 05:11 PM

Don't waste your £10 on Donington it's just not worth it.
Show as just not worth it.

[Edited on 16/9/06 by Rob Lane]

Paul (Notts) - 16/9/06 at 05:28 PM

I had a good day out...

met up with some other Viento owners

spent a couple of hours watching the kit cars on the track - several spinning off!!!

picked up some lights from svc

weather was warm

OK - the exibition hall may not have been that good but a day out is what you make of it..

Paul

iiyama - 16/9/06 at 05:30 PM

mmmmmmmm was thinking of travelling up from Southampton tomorrow.........

Hellfire - 16/9/06 at 05:34 PM

a g a i n . . . w i l l t h e y n e v e r l e a r n ? ? ?

iiyama - 16/9/06 at 06:11 PM

WHO???

ex-ctr - 16/9/06 at 06:11 PM

im going tomorrow so i can see what im getting my self into

givemethebighammer - 16/9/06 at 06:43 PM

Show was a little a little disappointing (apart from the girl handing out the roadsure insurance leaflets).

Did one track session and that was fun ...

But the highlight of my day was..........

hooning the car through the tunnel to the infield parking area, great echo - I guess it's a bloke thing

buncefm - 16/9/06 at 06:45 PM

Was anybody selling carpets etc.?

fesycresy - 16/9/06 at 06:49 PM

If anyone needs some Roadsure leaflets give me a shout, got a few spare

Catpuss - 16/9/06 at 06:51 PM

I took the nipper today we had quite a good time.

In terms of exhibitors yes it was quite spartan. The owners club areas were more interesting. There were very few cars you could sit in for size. Mostly the 7 type vendors.

Looks like in the absence of catering van owners, Westfield take up the slack

The Robin Hood owners were really good to talk too. They were quite frank about having to bodge things at time to get things to work. They said it was all sad about the current RH predicament but at least one guy who works there said it should be business as usual.

I noticed there were more MKs in the Locost area than the MK Owners club

They MK lot were nice to talk to very down to earth. The nipper liked the electric Indy.

That Mini out on the track was a fookin loon. Went off the track at least twice that I saw.

On the whole, a not a bad day out if its your first kit car show. Certainly best part were the owners clubs.

Catpuss - 16/9/06 at 06:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by givemethebighammer
Show was a little a little disappointing (apart from the girl handing out the roadsure insurance leaflets).

Was she painted in "New Nuclear Tan" orange paint?

quote:

hooning the car through the tunnel to the infield parking area, great echo - I guess it's a bloke thing

Aye. Doing the odd easter egg run with the bike, its funny going through the underpass with a couple of hundred bikers all having the same idea

Catpuss - 16/9/06 at 06:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by buncefm
Was anybody selling carpets etc.?

I saw quite a few people walking around with carpet under their arms.

givemethebighammer - 16/9/06 at 07:00 PM

quote:

Was she painted in "New Nuclear Tan" orange paint?

Nope, black catsuit............dribble

wilkingj - 16/9/06 at 07:29 PM

Well I had a good day. Its an end of season show, the infield area was the place to be. Spent lots of time chatting to owners, met up with several people from this site.

Loved hooning (err Revving) in the tunnel.. Who didnt!

Had an excellent drive up with ChrisJ (Thanks for the flyscreen).

Wasnt so good on the way home, as I lost the clutch about 20 miles from home. But did manage to see off a Tricked out Scubaroo from a set of traffic lights
It went well, but not well enough

Got home ok with no clutch. Have now fixed that, it was a weeping joint. Cut off and remade end on the pipe. So will have to test that out tomorrow!.

The show wasnt too bad, but I went to see some friends and look at the track day event.

Overall a success. Even if I do have a few more Iron Filings in the bottom of the gearbox from those crunchy changes.
Only had to do one "In gear start" in 20 miles across country..

givemethebighammer - 16/9/06 at 07:45 PM

Hooning, or hoon like behaviour is when a person (usually young male) drives their car like a nutter (ie smokes tyres, races off at the lights, skids etc) for the purposes of entertainment or proof of driver skill.

I was definately hooning (the "young" bit is suspect - I'm 35 and should know better)

http://iq.lycos.co.uk/qa/show/2676/What+is+the+origin+of+the+word+Hoon+(or+Hooning)/

[Edited on 16/9/06 by givemethebighammer]

mandbsheldon - 16/9/06 at 07:45 PM

Whoohoo, brilliant day, thanks MK!!!!!!!!

Leigh

rusty nuts - 16/9/06 at 07:49 PM

Hope your wrong Rob but will find out for myself tomorrow. Then again I said last year I wouldn't bother again

nitram38 - 16/9/06 at 07:56 PM

If the weather looks good tomorrow, myself and my son will be there.
Don't know which weather forecast to believe!!!
I also don't know where I belong......the locosters area?
My car does not look anything like a 7!!
It also looks from the limelight website that the free entry for kitcar drivers is no longer there...........or am I wrong?
You would think that it would increase the number of cars if it was free.
Anyway I think it is the people outside the hall that make the show as it has been sliding down hill for the last couple of years.

[Edited on 16/9/2006 by nitram38]

ReMan - 16/9/06 at 08:03 PM

Highlight of my day, apart from the Roadsure lady, and the tunnell, was my session on the track.
1st time off raod for the Indyblade and worth every (very expensive) minute of it.
The drive home was so much better, for a thrash round to explore its limits and loosen it up a bit, have a much better feel for what it will and wont do now.

No mistake though the shows gone badly downhill in the last 5 years.
Greed probably plays a big part, I'm suer if it was £5 entry and £20 sessions on track they would have done better.
Without the trrack (Sunday) its going to have even less draw.........

andybod - 16/9/06 at 08:15 PM

popped over this afternoon thought the club stands had quite a good turn out hoping to see a few more luego's and the luego team only spotted there velocity for sale at show entrance thought it was a little poor on the manufacture's side though but enjoyed some of the track day action woould have been dissopointed if i'de have had to travel further than the 12 miles to get there

nitram38 - 16/9/06 at 08:19 PM

We have to travel 126 miles

iggypop - 16/9/06 at 08:48 PM

so how much is it for kitcar owners now to get in ?

Ian

nitram38 - 16/9/06 at 08:51 PM

I believe it is £10

Hellfire - 16/9/06 at 08:52 PM

Kit car drivers get in for free, passengers are charged £10. And there was I thinking Dick Turpin wore a mask................

Phil

iiyama - 16/9/06 at 09:00 PM

I used to be indicisive, now I cant make up my mind if I should go or not!

nitram38 - 16/9/06 at 09:02 PM

Phew.....pity the website did not say so
Link to advanced bookings

chrisj - 16/9/06 at 09:34 PM

Me and the car wife had a reasonable time on the infield. However we did take deck chairs to 'camp out' and headed for a letch at the totty on the insurance stand. You can see what she ate for breakfast.

We paid £10 for the passenger entrance but the tunnel was worth every penny. Wouldn't bother with the track.

Otherwise bought large spanners to replace the ones I threw at Jeff on the way up. (10 mm).

Sorry Jeff.

keith - 16/9/06 at 09:41 PM

i must admit it was a bit quiet,i was looking forward to going round the track but on the way my clutch arm snapped in half so bodged it with a self tapper which got me there and back,so a bit disappointed but just to set records straight no charge for kit -car drivers or children under 16

ruskino80 - 16/9/06 at 09:58 PM

ok surely someone has a picture of her!!!

soggy 3 - 17/9/06 at 12:30 AM

It depends what you want out of the day
i needed some bits and to actualy hear some of the cars going other than just parked up so i was happy i even caught a ride around the track in a vindicator after talking to the nice chap who runs it i was impressed as i havent been in a kit car yet .been building my avon for three years so i now know what it will feel like.
i also went to the insurance stand and my brother pointed out her personal credit card swipe built in to the front of her suit

JamJah - 17/9/06 at 04:57 AM

Could it be said that the Donny show reflects the kit industry as a whole (ie less manufactures)?

jim..c - 17/9/06 at 05:00 PM

I had a great time, never driven Donington before, now done 92 laps all with passengers in. Great fun, but some seriously poor driving going on on the circuit. Mixing public sessions in with the manufacturers = trouble

nitram38 - 17/9/06 at 05:29 PM

Just got home.
Main hall was packed. Best exhibit was Martin Keenan's new single seater.
Bit boring in the hall, but the club area was good. Met up with a couple of locosters. Hi rusty nuts!!!!!!!!
Free entry for me and my son.
Bit embarassing for me though.
Need to baffle my radiator as the temps went up at speed. I think the air is bypassing the rad. Came home the entire 126 miles at 40mph to keep the temps down
Traffic jams actually helped my temps come down so horray for traffic!!!!!!!
(hope I never say that again)

rusty nuts - 17/9/06 at 05:29 PM

Just got back , found the main hall a bit lacking but the infield was entertaining. Did you get home OK Nitram?

nitram38 - 17/9/06 at 05:37 PM

Yes but Sloooooooooowly!!!!!!!!!!

rusty nuts - 17/9/06 at 05:46 PM

So I see . You had left by the time I came back to my car . Glad you got back OK . How is your lads "butt"as he calls it?

nitram38 - 17/9/06 at 05:50 PM

Don't worry about him, who was doing the driving!!!!!!!!
He's fine............watching the simpsons right now.

Now for those winter upgrades.................

McLannahan - 17/9/06 at 05:55 PM

I had a good few days but cheeses....
Planes taking off just inches from the tent was a bit of a nightmare!

Hardly slept a wink! Bought a few bits and pieces (Bought some new lights now Hellfire Phil!) but was a bit disappointed with the trade turnout.

Anyway - good laugh and enjoyed it, despite going in the Micra rather than KC.....

Michael

richijenkin - 17/9/06 at 08:47 PM

Good to see everyone again, not many mks there on Sunday: Rescued attachment IMG_5885mod.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_5885mod.jpg

martyn_16v - 17/9/06 at 11:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by richijenkin
not many mks there on Sunday:

It could have been worse...

Spartan indeed

JamJah - 18/9/06 at 01:48 AM

Now renamed the SPARSEtan Owners Club

bob - 18/9/06 at 09:14 AM

For some reason the MK 's were parked on the locost car club area sat and sun.

Anyway

The show itself will never be a Stoneleigh for suppliers and parts,its mainly a track event show so its viewed differently.

I'm now finding that since being on the road the shows have a different purpose,shopping for parts ends and you use the event as a meeting point or for some a club event.
I still think £10 to walk in and shop is a bit excesive for a very average hall but it does seen the norm recently.

Hellfire - 18/9/06 at 11:53 AM

When we arrived on Saturday morning there were MK's scattered all over. The largest group however were parked on the end of the Locost area, so that's where we parked too. I did notice later in the day that someone had put the MK Owners Club banner up but only Ash3's Indy was there, so we left ours where it was.

When you drive into any show, you never fail to spot where the Westfield area is, or the Italian Replicas for that matter. You can spend ages looking for the MK Owners area. What we need is some large flags similar to the WSCC ones. I realise that these will have to be paid for out of the owners club coffers but IMO it would be money well spent. I'm sure there were more than half a dozen Indys at the show on Saturday but like I already said, they were scattered all over the place. Rant over.

Phil

ned - 18/9/06 at 01:16 PM

That's a point well made Phil, have a word with ASH3, I think they have funds in the club to sort something out. Like you say it'd be money well spent.

bob - 18/9/06 at 02:16 PM

Good point phil, a couple of proper flags on some fibreglass poles cant cost that much,i'm sure if any of us find any suppliers and mail a link or address over to andy (ASH3) he can get that sorted for next year.

There were also plans to get a small gazeebo to pin the banner to,maybe a thinktank is in order for next year.

iank - 18/9/06 at 02:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JamJah
Could it be said that the Donny show reflects the kit industry as a whole (ie less manufactures)?

I know for a fact that a number of manufacturers skipped exhibiting due to the high cost of a stand this year. There were a number scattered around the car park if you knew who was who.

Guinness - 18/9/06 at 02:49 PM

http://www.flagsuk.com/PortableFlagpoles-1.asp

is your man for flags, flag poles etc! Ask for Simon, tell him Mike recommended him.

He also makes custom made car flags (like the crappy England ones) but with your own design on them and are capable of withstanding speeds in excess of 125mph!

Cheers

Mike

[Edited on 18/9/06 by Guinness]

Toady1 - 18/9/06 at 03:30 PM

and no pics of the roadsure girls eh? tut tut!

dave-69isit - 18/9/06 at 03:43 PM

ihave pik off her with my lad

dave-69isit - 18/9/06 at 03:46 PM

how do you shrink piks as i keep getting a message saying pik to big

ned - 19/9/06 at 10:28 AM

you need to resize the image (or lower the quality ie compress it more if it's a jpeg) until the file size is under a certain number of kb's maybe 200k or 100k, I can't remember,

Ned.

mike smith1 - 19/9/06 at 10:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by dave-69isit
how do you shrink piks as i keep getting a message saying pik to big

U need a image resizer you can down load it from microsoft website under power toys.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Its on the right hand side near the bottom, down load it and then open up were the pic is saved, right click on the pic and you will see in the grey box resize image, the normal medium setting should be ok

HTH

Mike

[Edited on 19/9/06 by mike smith1]

Dave J - 19/9/06 at 10:56 AM

Sunday was a fairly good day, I guess the weather made it really.

Luego owners were very thin on the ground. Mine plus two other Vientos. Hi to Clive, Martin and Mike.
Highlights for me : making lots of noise in the tunnel.....Hah 52 and still lairy!!
The insurance girl previously mentioned (phew! serious letch mode kicked in )
Talking to other owners/builders, always a great bunch of people .
The kitcar racing was great, real nip and tuck stuff, loads of overtaking. Just as it should be. 32 cars on the grid made for a very interesting first corner. In my humble opinion alot more exciting than the boring F1 nowdays.

The organisation was poor. Very little signage telling the punters where the real interest was (owners cars). Apparently the facilities for the people camping were absolutely appaling with overflowing toilets etc.

Overall it was a reasonable day out. If it hadn't been for the racing, then I would have considered the £10 entrance fee somewhat high.
Luckily the venue is within easy distance for me, but I would certainly consider giving it a miss next year as I reckon £30 for the four of us is steep for what is the poorest show I've been to yet.

I certainly wouldn't recommend it to those of you who have to travel long distances.

Anyway, that's my four penneth.

All the best guys.

Dave

rusty nuts - 19/9/06 at 06:25 PM

Looked for Clive but couldn't find him , bet he was hiding from me. I was parked in the Locost site met a few faces

ReMan - 19/9/06 at 06:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
When we arrived on Saturday morning there were MK's scattered all over. The largest group however were parked on the end of the Locost area, so that's where we parked too. I did notice later in the day that someone had put the MK Owners Club banner up but only Ash3's Indy was there, so we left ours where it was. Rant over.

Phil

Yes it was a shame, it was my first show( with the car) I was looking forward to parking it up with a load of others and jhaving a chat, but when we got there there soon after 10 on Saturday, there was no MK stand as such and as said only a couple of others scattered about, so I ditched mine on the grass near the side.
Oh well, roll on Stoneleigh! and if I've not broken it by then I'll look forward to seeing you all there
Col