Board logo

Bottled it !!!!
andyace - 25/2/05 at 08:15 PM

After all my planning once I had got my donor Sierra it became apparent that with 2 kids I would never get a chassis made from scratch, so have just order my GTS chassis kit and bodywork.

Feel a bit of a traitor but at least I stand a chance now of being up and running for next year.

Mark Allanson - 25/2/05 at 08:26 PM

When building your chassis, 2 kids are never a substitute for a Mig welder

kb58 - 25/2/05 at 08:47 PM

I preface this with "these remarks are not pointed at any particular kit company."

Rare is the case that a buyer of a kit doesn't have to get his hands dirty making things fit. Logically, we only hear of the problem cases (if there's no problem no one complains.) But quite frequently there is enough variation and/or lack of quality control that you still need to be ready to make things right yourself. So don't put those tools away!

It's not all bad, it means you're not *really* a traitor.

flak monkey - 25/2/05 at 08:54 PM

Andy...thats what i have also decided to do...though i cant use the kids excuse..i use the university one. I thought i just wont have the time to make any real progress by building from scratch, (what with uni and full time summer job) and would prefer to be on the road sooner rather than later!

Let me know how it all goes, obviously im very interested as its my chosen path too...

David

clbarclay - 25/2/05 at 10:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson

They are if you have trained them to weld.
Call it a family activity and you end up with free labour.

robinbastd - 26/2/05 at 12:03 AM

quote:

Just checked,the youngest wants to learn to weld,but the oldest would rather stick to ballet. Damn,that means I still have to take her there first thing every Saturday.

indykid - 26/2/05 at 09:18 AM

i pray they're not both sons

not that lads doing ballet should be frowned upon of course

tom

Mark Allanson - 26/2/05 at 06:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by robinbastd
quote:

Just checked,the youngest wants to learn to weld,but the oldest would rather stick to ballet. Damn,that means I still have to take her there first thing every Saturday.

I should have the whole family welding fairly soon, as soon as the car is finished I said....

clbarclay - 26/2/05 at 07:02 PM

Me being tought to weld nicely coincided with a trailer needing a complete rebuild and all the wooden sides/floor being replace with sheet steel.

Coincedance, I think not.

Rorty - 1/3/05 at 03:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by clbarclay
Coincedance, I think not.

You're right; it's coincidence.

NS Dev - 1/3/05 at 08:32 AM

I also cheated and bought the chassis/wishbones/bodywork, for the reason that I could get it done quicker, and I spend enough time fabricating chassis etc for my racing, so fancied an easier life with the locost. (I have buit and then passed on a book chassis a few years ago!)

I will second the remarks about suspect quality etc. No manufacturer specifically targetted, as they all (in my limited experience) seem fairly equal! (put it this way, you might think Westy would be among the best but that's not what I have found!!!)

Danozeman - 1/3/05 at 07:01 PM

I too bottled it and bought the chassis so you are not alone..

clbarclay - 1/3/05 at 07:50 PM

Thats great group you've realy brought out your emosions. In the next session we will delve deeper into your past to find the under lying cause for your fears.

Is it just me or has this topic turned into and alcholics anonymous meeting.

Bart69 - 1/3/05 at 10:01 PM

Hope the group sessions work or whe could all end up driving mondeo's... lol

andyace - 2/3/05 at 09:10 AM

I have another confession.....

I bought an alloy sump, I couldnt face chopping the old steel one up.

Please forgive me.

clbarclay - 2/3/05 at 09:33 AM

God will forgive you but first you must do 20 Hail Mary's and 3 Pater Noster's

Other wise may the fires of hell take mercy on your soul.

ned - 2/3/05 at 10:10 AM

I was down at Jame's last night and he told me in 9 /10 days he will have been building his for 3 years!! he is at a rolling chassis stage, the engine runs and he's just ordered bodywork.

I'm nearly 2 years into mine and the chassis still isn't finished yet, but then I've moved twice, never had a garage at home (until I built one 3 weeks ago) and have plenty of jobs to do for er indoors..

if doing it again I'd do the samea s you, so good move imho.

Ned.

Bananaman - 2/3/05 at 10:18 AM

I bought a complete kit from Quantum, and I did enjoy the build. Iit was very easy though and looking back on it I found it a bit like meccano. The next one is definetly going to be a ground up build. I will buy the panels though and fit something other than a pinto.

All that said buying a kit does let you get on the raod pretty quick.

Cheers
Michael

[Edited on 2/3/05 by Bananaman]

Hellfire - 2/3/05 at 10:27 AM

If I had the skill to weld and the right equipment to do so, I would build my own chassis from scratch without a doubt.