Board logo

Welding
greglogan - 7/8/07 at 09:03 PM

Got my first practice with the welder yesterday after buying it over a year ago. Seemed to go ok but occasionally blew/melted a few holes. When it worked, the weld looked great but on occassion blew some pretty large holes. It seemed to be less of a problem the quicker I moved the torch across but I thought that was what you are not supposed to do.

Any help?

UncleFista - 7/8/07 at 09:06 PM

If you really want input, post a picture or two on Here they'll be polite, but critical and they'll give you any help you need

RichardK - 7/8/07 at 09:09 PM

Welding really is an art, maybe try turning your power down a touch.

Remember blowing holes is just 100% penetration

Just practice, you will find the right power and speed.

I still find if difficult when welding thick and thin bits together, solution, I use 3 or 5mm plate for everything

Take care

Rich

David Jenkins - 7/8/07 at 09:10 PM

If you're blowing holes, you're very close to doing it right!

BenB - 7/8/07 at 09:25 PM

At least this shows your welder is man enough for the job. Its likely just practice, practice, practice.....

Though personally I'd recommend getting someone who is good at welding to have a go to make sure the machine is a good'un. Having struggled with my welding for 6 months I was a bit upset when my brother pronounced my welder "bloody rubbish" and sorting that out improved my welding no end.... IE it could be an intermitent wire feed problem resulting in fluctuating current usage...

mark chandler - 7/8/07 at 11:12 PM

Increasing the wire speed or lowering the power will both stop blowing the holes as more wire cools the pool, less current stops it getting so hot.

As above though, holes are good as you are getting full penetration, weld towards the thicker tube (by this I mean if you have a sawn off end butting to a straight section weld towards the straight section as it has more material) and that might be all you need. Then its just practice practice practice.

Regards Mark

greglogan - 8/8/07 at 06:04 AM

Thanks guys. My welder doesn't have too much variable control. There is the variable wire speed and then a min/max switch which I assume is the current control and a 1/2 switch which I have no idea about at all! It's a Draper 1503T Mig.

Greg.

BenB - 8/8/07 at 08:17 AM

Sounds very much like the Clarke welders.
They have two switches to adjust power (ie 4 power settings) which go

Min 1
Min 2
Max 1
Max 2

from lowest to highest power.

thunderace - 8/8/07 at 08:35 AM

do a college course at night its cheap and you will then know what your doing .
i ssen loads of guys that say they can use a mig and they cant eg they pull and dont push the weld they hold it at the wrong angle they have the wire speed too fast and splater the place with low penetration
WELDING IS A SKILL YOU NEED TO LEARN IF YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO DO IT YOU COULD KILL YOURSELF OR OTHERS WHEN YOU CAR WELDS FAIL.

this site will help

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

smart51 - 8/8/07 at 10:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Sounds very much like the Clarke welders.
They have two switches to adjust power (ie 4 power settings) which go

Min 1
Min 2
Max 1
Max 2

from lowest to highest power.

My clarke welder goes

1 min
1 max
2 min
2 max
3 min
3 max

according to the manual

BenB - 8/8/07 at 10:55 AM

Fair enough.
Yet another reason why my welding sucks!!!
Guess I should RTFM properly next time!!

UncleFista - 9/8/07 at 09:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by smart51
My clarke welder goes

1 min
1 max
2 min
2 max
3 min
3 max

according to the manual

My Clarke 151TE goes;

1 min
2 min
3 min
4 min
1 max
2 max
3 max
4 max according to the manual, guess it just goes to show you should read the manual specific to your welder

Jonr - 9/8/07 at 08:39 PM

I got my welder out for the first time in 18 months, had a play, splatter, blow, jam, fiddle, twiddle.....hmmm that's about right. Turn to the chassis that has been tack welded for the last 2 years and make the most beautiful weld I have ever done, perfect. Sit back, inspect admire, lovely. Get a huge rush and settle down for a night of welding. Start another weld on the other side of the chassis............ no fecking wire. bollox!!!