Board logo

Rear bulkhead "glovebox" and SVA security component
Blue Fox - 7/6/08 at 05:42 PM

Going to cut and fit my rear bulkhead in the next week or so and was thinking of putting a small "glove box" in there by cutting a small square out of the sheet, welding a box behind it and fitting a small lockable door on the front. This will be used for small items (such as mobile phone) I want to leave in car when parked. I was also thinking of putting a key switch in there to replace the normal steering column key which will turn on my electrics via a relay - the idea being this key will be in series with a switch on the dash to bring in the electrics on relay. What do people think? Any reasons not to do this and will this be ok as a security item for the SVA?

zetec7 - 7/6/08 at 06:06 PM

Well, I don't know about the SVA issues, but I think the locking box there is a smokin' idea. I'm going to have a look at my car and see if I can do it, too!

gavin174 - 7/6/08 at 07:19 PM

i think the sva says something about 2 anti theft devices, one being mechanical.that act the same time....
hence most people keep the steering lock for sva..

WanchaiWarrior - 10/6/08 at 09:53 PM

I think someone on here did actually put a glove box from a car behind his seat, although for the life of me I cant remember who it was, or when it was posted on here. Perhaps a search might find it.

WanchaiWarrior - 10/6/08 at 10:04 PM

here you go, found him, it was Humbug, check out his photo archive...........

Glove box in place & open
Glove box in place & open