Board logo

R1.. baffle plate/oil change/clutch... whats it adding upto?
Major Stare - 5/9/09 at 06:57 PM

2003 R1 engine.

I want to fit a baffle plate i have, what additional parts do i need to order and rough cost to purhcase?

Also, fitting a Barnett clutch, what additional parts are needed and rough cost?

Thanks

[Edited on 5/9/09 by Major Stare]

prawnabie - 5/9/09 at 07:13 PM

Not that i know anything about bike engines, but there was a post a few days ago about barnett clutches not being very good. The springs were highly rating, but I think the general concensus was to fit them with an OEM clutch.

HTH

Shaun

nstrug - 5/9/09 at 07:38 PM

The Barnett clutch conversion (pressure plate and springs) is great - the problem is with the Barnett friction plates which are not suitable for use in a BEC - just use the OEM friction and plain plates.

R1 baffle is £39 from Fluke, the Barnett clutch conversion is £134 from Motorcycle Road and Race.

You don't need anything else.

Nick

Major Stare - 5/9/09 at 07:45 PM

What about gaskets for the sump or when taking off the gearbox cover?

GeorgeM - 5/9/09 at 07:53 PM

get new gaskets from a Yamaha dealer, about £35-40 IIRC

I wouldn't reuse sump gasket, but clutch cover should be ok.
Refitting clutch cover can be tricky, make sure the
actuator goes back as per the manual !

GeorgeM

nitram38 - 5/9/09 at 09:35 PM

I've used the full barnett clutch and so far no problems with the motaleira.

hobbsy - 5/9/09 at 11:02 PM

www.fowlers.co.uk are pretty good for yamaha bits - I usually order over the phone though as IIRC you can't get all the info on their website.

nstrug - 6/9/09 at 10:34 AM

Sump gasket is £15 or so. Clutch cover gasket is £7. Sorry, forgot those.

Getting the clutch cover back on can be tricky - easiest way is to use a bit of coat hanger bent into a hook down the oil filler to support the clutch release rod as you put the cover back on.

I have a spare clutch gasket if you want it - yours for £5.

Nick