Board logo

chassis progress
suparuss - 29/9/05 at 07:15 PM

got a load of steel delivered today, not all of it cos for some reason they didnt stock 12g tube. another stockist i tried did have 12g but no 20g so ive gone with the one with the 20g cos thats what i need first.
any way, heres a quick pic of a good 4 hours work-

finally started
finally started

with any luck ill get most of it tacked up over the week end!

Jonr - 29/9/05 at 07:26 PM

SIP welder? looks the same as mine!

Hmm triangulation, hmmmmmmmmmmmm
can even see what your going to weld next (pencil diagonal on the sqaure bit at the bottom right)

fun innit!!!

JoelP - 29/9/05 at 08:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jonr
fun innit!!!

yup, planning cutting and welding is the best bit! Closely followed by sliding through roundabouts

suparuss - 29/9/05 at 08:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
quote:
Originally posted by Jonr
fun innit!!!

yup, planning cutting and welding is the best bit! Closely followed by sliding through roundabouts

yeah, and hopefully not into it!

yep sip welder, and yep, welding the triangulation into the middle of that bit next! so much fun. shame about the weather.

andyd - 30/9/05 at 09:40 AM

Russ, do you have a pretty drawing/picture of your entire chassis? As it's mid engined can I assume it's not 7 shaped?

Just curious.

Oh never mind, just seen in your photo archive.

[Edited on 30/9/2005 by andyd]

suparuss - 30/9/05 at 04:09 PM

fool

andygtt - 30/9/05 at 09:25 PM

Really Like the body shape you have designed....

Although I'm further down the road than you with my chassis, I still don't have a complete picture of how my car will look.

guess I'm gona have to get the box of car cuttings out that I have been collecting for the last 2 years and have a play in PSP.

andyd - 30/9/05 at 09:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by suparuss
fool

Of course, I'm thinking of building a car from scratch! How foolish is that!

andygtt - 30/9/05 at 10:38 PM

well andy if you do decide to go ahead with the scratch build make sure you drop by to compare notes...... I'm also in Suffolk.

suparuss - 1/10/05 at 07:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andyd
quote:
Originally posted by suparuss
fool

Of course, I'm thinking of building a car from scratch! How foolish is that!

insane is the word id use! actually its pretty clever though.

andygtt- dont worry, im catching up! love you engine by the way. have you done any stiffness tests on the chassis yet? im very curious of the results.

cheers,

russ.

andygtt - 1/10/05 at 08:32 AM

I'm quite a way from being finished enough to do stiffness tests, although the front is very nearly there.

I know it may sound lame but my real goal was to build the chasis stiffer than my old Ultima, and that hasn't been that difficult.
I've almost certainly gone overkill, but I can live with a few extra kilos here.

Can I ask what you modeled you car body shape in as like I said, I really need to get my finger out and design the final shape.

suparuss - 1/10/05 at 10:49 AM

i modelled the body in rhino 3d. cant remember where i got it though, or whether it was freeware or not. but someone on here put a link or something i think.

andyd - 1/10/05 at 03:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andygtt
I'm also in Suffolk.

Two Andy's in Suffolk, I've never heard anything so silly in all my years!

On the offchance it's true, where abouts are you prey tell.

andygtt - 2/10/05 at 09:53 AM

I be south of the county

near Sudbury.