Board logo

Windscreen anti mist solutions?
rcx718 - 16/8/15 at 06:42 AM

Hey! There's some requirement in the IVA that there needs to be a way to de-mist the windscreen. What solutions are people using for this?

SJ - 16/8/15 at 06:55 AM

I think your options are a normal car heater (OEM or mini aftermarket ones), electric heater if you can get one up to the job, or a Caterham type heated screen.

I'll be fitting an OEM car heater to mine this winter. Not worked out how though yet.

Stu

Slimy38 - 16/8/15 at 08:54 AM

Here's an electric one;

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/electric-demist-heater

Although even in the description it suggests you might need more than one. I'll be going down the standard heater matrix route, plumbing in a small radiator with vents to the screen.

ianhurley20 - 16/8/15 at 11:51 AM

MX5 heater radiator and CAD designed case with a fan from the MX5 as well (CAD = cardboard aided design) - but screen comes after IVA ;-)

Slimy38 - 16/8/15 at 12:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
MX5 heater radiator and CAD designed case with a fan from the MX5 as well (CAD = cardboard aided design) - but screen comes after IVA ;-)

Pants, never thought of that. I just binned it with the interior.

rcx718 - 17/8/15 at 07:38 AM

Ha that electric heater draws a whopping 14 amps and still isn't powerful!

I kept the heater matrix from my donor car but it's a very awkward shape that will not be easy to fit. So is the MX5 one with the cardboard aided design a more easily usable shape or something? Any photos?

How will IVA test that the heater is powerful enough?

What sort of price are we looking at for the heated type windscreen if the windscreen is a simple flat shape?

tims31 - 17/8/15 at 07:58 AM

I now it's not locost but these seem to be good compact heaters here

or this on fleabay [ebay]#3f51eb1d36[/ebay]

[Edited on 17/8/15 by tims31]

[Edited on 17/8/15 by tims31]

Chris_Xtreme - 17/8/15 at 09:38 AM

my xtreme manages to fit in the sierra unit,, in my robin hood i had a old mini heater. The sierra one is far more powerful,

for the sva test if i remember correctly, they just turned it on an felt for warm air blowing up. not done iva.

if you want to be useful on a rainy cool eve with the hood on, fit something powerful, to pass the test you can probably get away with anything blowing hot air up.

[Edited on 17/8/15 by Chris_Xtreme]

The Black Flash - 17/8/15 at 09:19 PM

Or just do the test with an aeroscreen and decide you need a windscreen later.