Board logo

AM or PM
Mark Allanson - 4/5/05 at 09:33 PM

I have a 110 mile drive to my nearest SVA test centre, and 150 to my second choice.

I am just filling in the application, and Q7 gives me the option of AM or PM. I have heard that the test can take 6 hours, so when does PM start, and what time do they knock off?

ady8077 - 4/5/05 at 09:38 PM

Hi Mark

I had an AM appointment and mine took about 4 hours, ( at Derby, nice place ) but they did other cars throughout the day, as my car moved through the test lane others were tested behind

Mark Allanson - 4/5/05 at 09:41 PM

A PM would probably be better, to save a 4:00am start!!

Marcus - 4/5/05 at 10:12 PM

The advantage of AM is if you fail and can get it back PM, you may get a retest. Saves a journey.

Marcus

Mark Allanson - 4/5/05 at 10:19 PM

I did have a very generous offer of an overnight stop over, maybe AM would be best in that case

Bananaman - 5/5/05 at 07:10 AM

I had my SVA at Exeter and i would recommend them. Both testers are very sensible and will go out of their way to answer questions and explain exactly what is required. Go for an AM test, it'll give you more time to sort any minor issues out in the event of of a failure.

I passed first time by the way!!!

Big cheers
Michael

barrie sharp - 5/5/05 at 07:15 AM

Mark Overnight stop still availible if needed .
Barrie

ps Am was good for me as said before gives time to adjust things if needed

[Edited on 5/5/05 by barrie sharp]

Mark Allanson - 5/5/05 at 07:30 PM

I think we will be taking you up on that,, if its OK - short blast down to Marsh Barton from your place

billy - 5/5/05 at 09:31 PM

Mark. ill say this about byron in Exeter.....dont bother with centre mirror if you can see roll bar when you look in it. and make sure you got a nice field of view thro the side ones cos hes real strict on this. if you need to move your head to see the cones you gotta fail. watch your brake bias cos hes hot on that too- roll pin it so its not adjustable or he will test both extremes unsecured wiring is another one. that said hes a ok bloke and best not argue with him as its a powa thing keep him talking and the time will fly. oh if you wanna get on his good side tell him your gonna build a 5exi next as thats his m8 and he loves then best of luck m8

barrie sharp - 6/5/05 at 07:10 AM

Hi Mark I am 25miles away and you could follow me to work as I pass the sva centre on the way.
u2u me for details
Ive sent my phone no if you want to call

Mark Allanson - 6/5/05 at 07:32 PM

Barry, your spoiling me!

Could you get a job as an inspector as well?

David Jenkins - 6/5/05 at 09:27 PM

Mark,

Just an observation - you have a very long drive to whichever station you're going to, in a totally untested car. I only had an 80-mile round trip to Chelmsford, but came unstuck because of an unexpected engine problem.

I would strongly recommend taking your car on a trailer, if you can manage it (I did at the second attempt).

Good luck!
David

Mark Allanson - 6/5/05 at 09:46 PM

Just trying to get a few 'rolling road' miles under my belt to make sure i get there