Board logo

How to remove hub bolts
Hammerhead - 15/5/08 at 01:46 PM

I need to remove the hub bolts to replace with longer ones. The hubs are fitted to the car and I don't really want to bash the bolts out with a hammer because I think it will mess with the geometry set up. So any suggestions?

Mr Whippy - 15/5/08 at 01:59 PM

ha ha! I misread that question completely, must be the coffee: D

Hammerhead - 15/5/08 at 02:00 PM

do I need to re-word?
I guess they are studs. like wot is in the picture

hub
hub

[Edited on 15/5/08 by Hammerhead]

BenB - 15/5/08 at 02:04 PM

If you're not keen on smacking it with a hammer the other option would be something like a pulley puller that would have a tongue which sits behind the hub and a bolt which screwed down on to the top of the hub bolt. Torque up the bolt out pops the hub bolt etc etc...

Bluemoon - 15/5/08 at 02:05 PM

I read that as wheel studs?

tks - 15/5/08 at 02:05 PM

i would make some kind of small tool using a round tube and a U and a bolt and nut.

Welding it together should make you some kind of press.

in fact with one big U you could do it!

You will need to drill one side of the U sow the nut/bolt can pass on the other side the U needs the hole as big as the stud.

then when you place the U on the hub and turn on the screw it will lock it self.
Appling more force then will force the studoutwards...

Think some overnight soaking in WD40 will help!!

the U will need to be strong!!!

Tks

BenB - 15/5/08 at 02:06 PM

It'd actually be quite easy to make something suitable if you've got access to a welder.

Personally I'd smack it with a hammer

Fatgadget - 15/5/08 at 02:09 PM

Snap-on breaker bar with a scaffold pipe extension!
Should the breaker bar break,just replace it under lifetime warranty!
Seriously..Impact wrench.

Dragon-Performance-Eu - 15/5/08 at 02:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hammerhead
I don't really want to bash the bolts out with a hammer because I think it will mess with the geometry set up. So any suggestions?

Gasp, is it that fragile that a hit with a hammer will alter the suspension geometry ?

blakep82 - 15/5/08 at 02:43 PM

ball joint seperator? not the fork type you bash with a hammer, but the other type, er, that you don't hit with a hammer...

nick205 - 15/5/08 at 02:57 PM

However you get them out (and a hammer will be the qickest and easiest way) you will then need to fit the longer ones to the flange. So unless you have access to a puller or pusher (hammer) suitable for getting the new ones fitted in situ then I'd just remove the hubs and do it on the bench. The whole job will be much easier and you're more likelt to get the new longer studs in nice and square too.

RazMan - 15/5/08 at 03:02 PM

A few whacks with a big hammer shouldn't upset your geometry at all - go on, just grit your teeth a belt it!

BenB - 15/5/08 at 03:07 PM

Getting the new studs in situ is nice and easy. Whole load of washers, a spare wheel nut and a air impact ratchet... Job's a good'un...

Bluemoon - 15/5/08 at 03:45 PM

I'd personally not use a hammer when attached to the bearing, you might cause other problems that turn up latter... you ought to really press them out..

Dan

britishtrident - 15/5/08 at 04:18 PM

Put a nut on the end of the thread, then 2 kg hammer light/medium blows.

[Edited on 15/5/08 by britishtrident]

coozer - 15/5/08 at 05:15 PM

Machine Mart have a nice little 1 ton arbor press for £35 inc.

Or use a vice and appropriate size sockets. Once they are moving they should come out easy and then you have a nce setup to press the new ones in without buggering them

Steve

blakep82 - 15/5/08 at 05:19 PM

oooh and some boiling water over the flange
(sounds painful...)

clairetoo - 15/5/08 at 05:19 PM

Surely its not that major a job to remove the hubs ? I`m guessing you will have to remove the discs to get the new longer studs in , and it`s a handy time to bung in some fresh grease and check/adjust the bearings............

02GF74 - 15/5/08 at 05:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Getting the new studs in situ is nice and easy. Whole load of washers, a spare wheel nut and a air impact ratchet... Job's a good'un...

assuming there is enough space behind the flange to get t hime into the holes....

ask yourself how miuch time/money it wold cost if you amage something by hammering?

I vote for reomving the flanges and using a press or hammer.

britishtrident - 15/5/08 at 05:38 PM

Guys keep it simple -- this isn't a major job no fancy tools are needed, no dismantling all thats needed is a few GENTLE hammer blows.

In days on by when all cars had drum brakes Mechanics would often knock the the wheels studs through with a hammer, this trick was used to aid when getting a brake drum off if the wheel cylinder was seized on --- I can assure you no one ever had a wheel fall off because of it.

[Edited on 15/5/08 by britishtrident]

Duncan_P - 15/5/08 at 05:59 PM

Gettings them out is the easy bit! I heated mine and then tapped them out with a hammer, they came out pretty easily (after failing to push them out).

Getting the longer ones back in is a bit more of a pain, I ended up bodging something to pull them back in with some steel tube, washers and a couple of nuts.

Duncan_P - 15/5/08 at 06:03 PM

I wouldn't advise trying this....

I managed to break my old (fairly decent) vice doing this

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
use a vice and appropriate size sockets

daviep - 15/5/08 at 06:11 PM

Personally I would get an assistant (or do it myself) to hold a fore hammer against the back of the hub to prevent the shock being transfered to any other components, then one good lick with a 4lb hammer, no tickling it.

Alternativley with the car on ground remove two opposite wheel nuts and knock the studs out, the force of the blow will be transferred only to the stud and not to the suspension as the weight of the car is still sitting on it.

Davie

mad4x4 - 15/5/08 at 06:41 PM

Take the hub off and bash with a Hammer - You will probably need to remove the hub to get enough room to put in the longer bolts anyway...

snapper - 15/5/08 at 06:58 PM

I have learned, BOY have i learned that when contemplating an easy way to do a job you will by default cause yourself more problems and time than if you had bitten the bullet and done it properly

gregs - 15/5/08 at 08:27 PM

big g-cramp, and a socket on the back - works for me!

Michael - 15/5/08 at 09:19 PM

G clamp and a round tube behind stud.

Act like a press

Hammerhead - 16/5/08 at 10:21 AM

Loads of good advice there. Thanks chaps and chapess

RoadkillUK - 16/5/08 at 09:35 PM

I'll be replacing a snapped one tomorrow and I'm old enough to know that after all the pi**ing about, It'll be quicker doing it properly