Board logo

Handbrake Location
Padstar - 30/3/14 at 05:28 PM

Hi,

I have an MX5 as my donor vehicle but have lost the handbreak - Dont ask -

As a result i am in the market for a handbrake. In your experience would you go for one located to the passenger side or in the traditional central location? Also any ideas where i can get a smart looking unit from. The 2 available from Rally designs look a bit unattractive. Silly i know but is there a more aesthetically pleasing lever available anywhere or should i just go for this stock unit.

steve m - 30/3/14 at 06:41 PM

I have mine in the traditional place, in the middle of the tunnel, but if I was to build the car again, it would be
either in the passenger side foot well, or I would go for a twist and turn one under the dash

steve

matt_gsxr - 30/3/14 at 09:33 PM

Fiat coupe turbo handbrake lever worked for me.

Nice and simple. I paid £3 including shipping!

[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1998-Fiat-coupe-20vt-turbo-handbrake-lever-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/x2IAAOxy1RZSXugv/$(KGrHqR,!pIFJV)jONgDBS(ugt37k!~~60_12.JP G[/img]

Edited to say, mounts are threaded for an M8

[Edited on 30/3/14 by matt_gsxr]

PorkChop - 30/3/14 at 10:02 PM

Trigger handbrakes are rather smart looking, but they aren't the cheapest.

loggyboy - 31/3/14 at 12:58 AM

I moved mine from the standard striker location (pass side tunnel by gear stick) as I didn't like the idea of the passengers leg against the boxing. I think if its in the tunnel then its an ok location. But as the tunnel is so narrow on the striker I moved it to the tunnel top between seats.

Slimy38 - 31/3/14 at 05:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
I moved mine from the standard striker location (pass side tunnel by gear stick) as I didn't like the idea of the passengers leg against the boxing. I think if its in the tunnel then its an ok location. But as the tunnel is so narrow on the striker I moved it to the tunnel top between seats.

Interesting thought. I'm actually planning on putting mine on the passenger side even though its a Haynes and there should be plenty of room. I liked it's position on the original MX5 donor and the handbrake trim is also designed to cover the left hand side.

The other alternative I had considered was the other side of the driver, but I think it would use up too much space and be very awkward to operate (or even drive). I'd appreciate any opinions that dispute that though.

JAG - 31/3/14 at 10:55 AM

I put mine here;

My handbrake lever installation, non-standard.
My handbrake lever installation, non-standard.

Mainly because I didn't want to keep banging my left arm on the damn thing. This works well for me and my passengers

skov - 31/3/14 at 11:52 AM

I used a modified mx5 handbrake lever and mounted it towards the passenger side of the tunnel to leave space to rest my arm.
I suspect it'd pee me off no end if I had it right in the middle.