Board logo

Compressor
RichardK - 4/1/07 at 10:21 PM

Just wondering if anybody has a compressor for sale before I go and buy one.

I want it for paint spraying and air tools.

Ta

Rich

P.S Localish would be good as well
P.P.S And cheap

coozer - 4/1/07 at 10:44 PM

Compressors are real handy when you want to use air tools...

RichardK - 4/1/07 at 10:51 PM

Put that in just in case somebody was offering me a .5hp garden sprayer

[Edited on 4/1/07 by RichardK]

theconrodkid - 4/1/07 at 10:54 PM

ive got one but its HUGE,mail me if yr interested

RichardK - 4/1/07 at 11:13 PM

I've heard it's not the size it's how you use it

Thanks for the offer, but I'll think I'll get one a bit smaller than huge

Cheers fella

Rich

Peteff - 5/1/07 at 12:20 AM

If you're using air tools you want huge, unless you want it running all the time. It's cheaper to buy the equivalent tools with electric power and they are cheaper to run than the compressor. One occasion where bigger is always better.

worX - 5/1/07 at 03:29 AM

where are you and what spec is huge - AND... how much are you looking for?

Steve.

theconrodkid - 5/1/07 at 05:51 AM

looking for £400,its a 3 cylinder 1ph jobbie,receiver is about 4ft long,weighs plenty.
bought it new and it did 1 years work before i stopped trading ,its stored near M25/M40 junction.

RichardK - 5/1/07 at 10:25 AM

I'll just use it for spraying then, the only air tool I was really interested in was an ali sheet nibbler cos I'm a lazy arse and thought may make cutting my floor our easier!

Thanks

Rich

Peteff - 5/1/07 at 11:29 AM

I cut my steel floor out with a drill mounted nibbler I bought at a show for £30. It cut all my aluminium panels and a couple more sets plus the steel for a couple of tanks as well. If you oil the cut line they last for ages but the clippings are messy. I have a v twin 3hp 50ltr compressor and it gets used for painting, blow gun dust removal and blowing tyres up nowadays.

Alan_Thomas - 5/1/07 at 12:45 PM

Like Conrod mine is huge but the only time I have found it was really needed (4HP VeeTwin) was continious grit blasting and orbital sanding.
For spraying you tend to stop and start quite often so a smaller compressor with a decent size tank works OK but avoid those 'nailer compressors' they have v. small tanks.
- Alan

iank - 5/1/07 at 01:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
I'll just use it for spraying then, the only air tool I was really interested in was an ali sheet nibbler cos I'm a lazy arse and thought may make cutting my floor our easier!

Thanks

Rich

The lazy and weak of forearm should consider an air riveter as well

Aldi had a cheap small one a while back, and might repeat sometime if you can wait.
I think it was a wolf one, which Screwfix sell for £80 (1.5hp, 24ltr)