Board logo

wanted - valve springs for SVA steering mod
nick205 - 14/2/07 at 09:12 AM

Has anyone got a couple of old valve springs they could donate for an SVA steering mod?

I'd be happy to send a self addressed envelope with postage.

Cheers
Nick

coozer - 14/2/07 at 10:15 AM

Whats the mod? Is it in responce to a SVA fail?

Would be nice to know in case we all have to do it!

Steve

nick205 - 14/2/07 at 10:23 AM

Hi Steve,

Not in response to a fail, but several people have advised on fitting a valve spring to each side of the steering rack shaft, between the tie rod and rack body. The purpose is to add some self centering assistance and to limit the full lock of the rack by a small amount.

I have my SVA in 2 weeks - I may go without the springs and only fit them if it comes up as a failure.

Others may be able to offer more advise on this?

Cheers
Nick

chockymonster - 14/2/07 at 10:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Whats the mod? Is it in responce to a SVA fail?

Would be nice to know in case we all have to do it!

Steve

Steve,

You won't have any issues with this. The Vortx has a decent amount of castor.

James - 14/2/07 at 10:39 AM

I've found that with use of the car, the self centring has improved greatly. I suspect it's that the balljoints have freed up somewhat from their initial (out of the packet) stiffness.

Cheers,
James

zxrlocost - 14/2/07 at 10:45 AM

you need to drive your car first somewhere nick and see what happens
theres not much chance of it self centering

ta chris

nick205 - 14/2/07 at 10:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by zxrlocost
you need to drive your car first somewhere nick and see what happens
theres not much chance of it self centering

ta chris

I've driven at low speeds, but not really been able to get a feel for it. The first "proper" drive I'll get will be en route to the SVA

zxrlocost - 14/2/07 at 11:09 AM

full lock at low speed, steering wheel should want to move back towards the middle

search for my self centering thread HOW TO

mad4x4 - 14/2/07 at 12:39 PM

LOTS of toe out should help but put it on just before going into the test as if you have a long drive you'll strip the tyres

Plus it may dangerous to drive

nick205 - 14/2/07 at 12:41 PM

Right - plan is to SVA using toe and tyre pressure settings and hold the valve spring idea in reserve.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Cheers
Nick

Paul G - 14/2/07 at 02:03 PM

if all else fails and you use the valve springs DO NOT let the sva tester know about it!

RazMan - 14/2/07 at 02:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul G
if all else fails and you use the valve springs DO NOT let the sva tester know about it!

Wouldn't this be just the same as putting in a shim to limit the lock? (eg. if you have a clearance issue) A 'springy shim' would just give some tactile feedback before full lock is reached.

Paul G - 14/2/07 at 04:29 PM

Dont know but my SVA tester specifically asked if I had put springs in as that would be a fail (I had done cos I've got an Indy but of course I just lied and said no - they arent allowed to peel off the rack boots to have a look!)

BenB - 14/2/07 at 04:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul G
they arent allowed to peel off the rack boots to have a look!)

You sure? I was under the impression they could ask you to remove anything "removable" to check things out.... Peeling back a gaitor sounds very do-able... Depends how nice / mean the examiner is going to be- mine just said "oh- you should really make sure it self-centers cos otherwise it's dangerous but it seems a shame to drag you back here to re-test it.... as long as you promise to do it when you get back to the garage...."... LOL

Stu16v - 14/2/07 at 08:46 PM

If the car is being assessed properly, the valve spring theory wont make a blind bit of difference...