Board logo

de-greaser
*davies144* - 3/2/09 at 06:57 PM

probably been asked lots of times before but i jus wonderd what people use as a cheap yet good de-greaser?

Shamrock GS - 3/2/09 at 07:11 PM

Parafin mixed with a good skoosh of fairy liquid. (Use the lemon one and it smells nice as well!)

Gary

trextr7monkey - 3/2/09 at 07:14 PM

I was reared on "Jizer" which is liquid parraffin in a fancy tin, still use paraffin if no alternative, used to use Gunk on motorbike- good old Nortons pished oil everywhere- but it has an unpleasent odour.
Aldi (or Lidl) sell aerosols for about a pound that are less messy to apply and seem to be OK
Machine mart sell 5l drums of stuff for parts washers which you can dilute but it also has a heavy smell if left hanging about the garage, OK if you are on an allotment but too much hassle if your garage is under the house and yo planto stay married

minitici - 3/2/09 at 07:17 PM

I was in a garden centre recently and picked up a 4 Litre can of paraffin - it was over £7

dogwood - 3/2/09 at 07:17 PM

I didn't know you could still get parafin..

Who still sells it? (serious)

David

*davies144* - 3/2/09 at 07:34 PM

ive been using parrafin, i got mine from my local BATA centre cost about £6?

Shamrock GS - 3/2/09 at 08:01 PM

My local garden centre sells parafin for greenhouse heaters. Leaves a nice protective (oily) film on the parts once you're done.

G

serieslandy - 3/2/09 at 08:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by minitici
I was in a garden centre recently and picked up a 4 Litre can of paraffin - it was over £7
Ours are £6.20 at the moment but my boss saw a 4L can in another centre that was £12 for 4L, now that is extortionate.

trextr7monkey - 3/2/09 at 08:52 PM

Mine's left over from a very old primus stove- we must have planned to do a lot of cooking all those years ago

les g - 3/2/09 at 09:57 PM

central heating oil is basically parafin
works well but a bit smelly
cheers les g

dogwood - 4/2/09 at 08:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by serieslandy
quote:
Originally posted by minitici
Ours are £6.20 at the moment but my boss saw a 4L can in another centre that was £12 for 4L, now that is extortionate.

Sod that... I think I'll carry on using Diesel.

David

Ninehigh - 7/2/09 at 03:11 PM

I've heard coca cola engineers use it on their delivery trucks, soak a rag and leave it on there. Then again it may be for rust now I come to think of it. To think we drink it too! (Coca cola that is, not diesel or paraffin)

mr henderson - 7/2/09 at 04:26 PM

I use paraffin, and keep it in a large plastic box the kind garden centres sell, with a lid.

I also use a windscreen washer motor with some washer tubing and a 12volt battery to circulater the paraffin over the part. I've done whole engines like this, using a crane to hold the engine over the box. Usually need to clamp the hose with something to slow down the flow.

A cheap paint brush with half the length of the bristles ( to stiffen them) works very well for the really mucky bits

John

*davies144* - 8/2/09 at 10:08 PM

excellent idea guys cheers