Board logo

Car Lifts
Schrodinger - 15/7/08 at 09:14 AM

Has anybody any experience of these car lifts http://www.strongmantools.co.uk/PS3000.php
or suggest anything else.

theconrodkid - 15/7/08 at 09:19 AM

ive seen a similar one in action,the obviously dont go high enough to stand under and the way they wobble is frightening

johhny5 - 15/7/08 at 09:22 AM

Hi ,
I work as an engineering surveyor, (when im not off having my ACL reconsrtucted on my knee as now)
I have seen many of these type at garages where i go to examiane their lift equipment.
In my opion they are a good piece of kit but in my preferance i would alwys check that the ramp locks its self on the safety gear when you have finished the lifting function, it just feels safer that way.
cheers
John

Mr Whippy - 15/7/08 at 09:25 AM

I don’t think I’d like being under that at all, much prefer a screw drive 2 or 4 pillar lift

DaveFJ - 15/7/08 at 09:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
ive seen a similar one in action,the obviously dont go high enough to stand under and the way they wobble is frightening

goes up to 1.7 m.... not bad!

Mr Whippy - 15/7/08 at 09:37 AM

just watched the vid, there's no way I'd go under that thing

[Edited on 15/7/08 by Mr Whippy]

mr henderson - 15/7/08 at 09:59 AM

I presume the attraction of these lifts is if you don't have enough headroom for a 2 post lift (which appear to be cheaper and better)?

John

mike smith1 - 15/7/08 at 10:29 AM

I work for a company who supplies car garage and bodyshop equipment, alothough i would prefer to use a 2 post or 4 post lift, i have no problem in standing under one of these, all scissor lifts move and wobble on the way up, some do so more than others, granted the one in the link is a mobile unit. I agree with johhny5 as long as the safety latches are working they are fine, there is also a safety device that prevents the lift being operated whilst you are stood in between the platforms.

Mike

BenB - 15/7/08 at 10:31 AM

I'd go underneath a car on one of those but only after I'd wacked a couple of acro-props under each end

welderman - 15/7/08 at 10:51 AM

i got this to build the Fury on, best thing ever. Rescued attachment Image010.jpg
Rescued attachment Image010.jpg

mr henderson - 15/7/08 at 11:31 AM

Surely one of these would be much better (and cheaper)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-POST-CAR-LIFT-TWINHYDRAULIC-4-TON-IN-STOCK-1095_W0QQitemZ120281209938QQihZ002QQcategoryZ108783QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZVie wItem

britishtrident - 15/7/08 at 11:32 AM

If its just for a Locost you can use a pallet truck -- BUT use it with 4 stands.

--- reminds me of the story of the Airport that was closed to heavy aircraft because one of the massive 6 wheel fire tenders was up on stands 7 foot off the deck when one of the 6 wheel lifts used to lift it failed an insurance inspection on a very nasty crack.

Schrodinger - 15/7/08 at 04:11 PM

My problemis that with a standard double garage there is not enough headroom for a 2 post lift.

Mal - 15/7/08 at 05:02 PM

Try Restorationramps.co.uk for a lower tech, but effective method of getting your car off the ground in the confins of a domestic garage.

Mal

eccsmk - 15/7/08 at 05:05 PM

Restorationramps.co.uk
sorry host currently offline?

quote:
Originally posted by Mal
Try Restorationramps.co.uk for a lower tech, but effective method of getting your car off the ground in the confins of a domestic garage.

Mal

[Edited on 15/7/08 by eccsmk]

mr henderson - 15/7/08 at 05:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by eccsmk
Restorationramps.co.uk
sorry host currently offline?

quote:
Originally posted by Mal

Mal

[Edited on 15/7/08 by eccsmk]

Worked for me just now
http://www.restorationramps.co.uk/

John

carpmart - 16/7/08 at 05:19 PM

Those restoration ramps look great - anyone got them?