Board logo

DVD's and CD's
Bananaman - 18/3/05 at 09:41 AM

Yesterday I transferred some video from my video camera to my PC. Simple! Then I made a movie. Simple!
Got home stuck it in the DVD player and it wouldn't work. The message on the screen said something about this disk may not be set to be played back, or something like that. What's the matter with it?????????
Also at work yesterday I put the same video onto a CD, got home stuck it in my PC and it said that it was playing but we had a black screen. It also kept trying to connect to the internet. Is it something to with codec??
Iused Microsoft Movie Maker and my Pc at work is on XP and at home I'm on ME.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Big cheers
Michael

nick205 - 18/3/05 at 09:52 AM

Could be a total red-herring, but d you need to 'close' the DVD after you've burnt it?

Nick

Bananaman - 18/3/05 at 09:54 AM

When I made the DVD it said something about closing and I followed the instructions on screen, so that should be ok.

Cheers
Michael

britishtrident - 18/3/05 at 11:05 AM

DVD standards are a nightmare even if you get he the DVD+ or DVD- bit right.

The new cameras around that record straight to DVD hopefuly we will see an end to the format wars soon.

Kitlooney1000 - 18/3/05 at 11:33 AM

Sounds like you need to install a codec, try divx, xivd or img

Hellfire - 18/3/05 at 04:41 PM

As BT said really... the DVD formats are really all over the place. Recording on one system does not mean it will play on another... the new TV/DVD combo's often won't play non-region, non-certified DVD's. Also the MPEG format (which DVD use's) often can't be played on them either I have a DVD video camera which will burn direct to DVD but again - this is very very selective and time consuming when it doesn't write in the correct format and the RAM disc's are VERY expensive.

Personally I record to VCD wherever possible as it is a more generally accepted format read by most TV/DVD and standalone players/recorders. However, it has to be done correctly to work! Using Nero6 is probably the simplest to use.

HTH