Board logo

Reviving dull aluminium bodywork
mr henderson - 18/3/09 at 08:35 PM

I've been given an early locost to build. It features an MK chassis, and quite nicely done aluminium bodywork. I wouldn't be surprised if whoever did it wasn't a professional metalworker of some kind.

Anyway, if appears to have been left in a shed for a few years, and the aluminium is as dull and as tired looking as a very dull, tired thing, and I welcome suggestions as to the best way to get it looking smart again.

As always, time and cost are an issue (when are they ever not?)

John

Dangle_kt - 18/3/09 at 08:37 PM

I've used a scotchbright pad that you use on pans and the like to good effect on alu, but I'm unsure if it was laquered or not and what effect that would have.

Paul TigerB6 - 18/3/09 at 08:38 PM

I use a drill mounted arbour and a 6" polishing mop along with the appropriate compound on large areas of aluminium. Did 1/3rd of a Tiger Supercat side panel in about 15 mins or so, so not too bad

roadrunner - 18/3/09 at 08:42 PM

I've found T-cut works very well, especially if your cloth is damp.

Shamrock GS - 18/3/09 at 08:53 PM

Likewise with Roadrunner Tcut works fine, as does Autosol or even brasso. Lots of elbow grease needed for these but youy get a decent result. These aren't abraisive enough to take out anything more than the finest surface scratches. For rougher pitting you need power tools and pads.

G

chris taylor - 18/3/09 at 09:09 PM

John,
T-Cut as suggest previously is ace, with a damp cloth, not come across anything better myself,

CT

Danozeman - 18/3/09 at 09:51 PM

t cut or autosol. use some plain flour on a cloth afterwards to take away the black scud that itl make.

BenB - 18/3/09 at 10:08 PM

Autosol here too. Proper job of polishing ali but a bit harsh if you use it too often.....

jlparsons - 18/3/09 at 10:33 PM

Any chance of some pics of the aly bodywork mate?

twybrow - 18/3/09 at 10:36 PM

At work, we polish aluminium moulds to a mirror finish with good old brasso.... Scotchbrite to start, moving to very fine wet n dry (1200 grit, wet), then final polish with brasso to see your reflection!