Board logo

Paint on the Midget
Lightning - 3/6/13 at 09:38 AM

First off it's the car not a small person!"

my ickle MG midget got wet when it started to rain, so in my infinite wisdom put on a rain cover to stop leaks getting to the interior.

I the morning removed the cover to find the paint on the bonnet and the wing had gone milky. This has not gone away when dry. The paint presumably is cellulose and I am guessing watee has got deep into the paint.

Why has this happened and I guess I will have to remove the effected paint before respraying and what precautions should I take.

Its not so much a disaster as the bonnet was not the correct colour anyway.

[Edited on 3/6/13 by Lightning]

snakebelly - 3/6/13 at 04:15 PM

have you tried cutting it back to see how deep it goes? a bit of G3 and some elbow grease may sort it?

rpm - 3/6/13 at 04:41 PM

I've got a machine buffer and cutting compound, if you want to have a go at buffing it out give me a call, either do it here or borrow the stuff
cheers Roger

Lightning - 3/6/13 at 06:13 PM

Thanks for the replies, buffed it already, its deep. I've rubbed it down carefully but to get rid its gone down to the next layer of paint.Not seen this before.

perksy - 3/6/13 at 06:20 PM

Used some Autosol once on somebodys Westy to remove similar.
But if its celulose it might be too abrasive ?

Mark Allanson - 3/6/13 at 06:41 PM

Put it out in bright sunshine for a few hours before you make any decisions

Lightning - 3/6/13 at 07:03 PM

Tried that no good. Been out for a couple of days now. Thought it would as the laquer on a repair to my Tvr went milky but cleared in daylight and has been fine ever since