Board logo

windscreen edge sharp or radius
Dale - 6/9/15 at 05:10 AM

I am looking for opinions on weather or not to put a radius on my windscreen. I have gone for an older lemans look and alot of the vintage screens do not have a radius on the top edge. The screen will be glued in flush to the front of the frame.
Should i radius the edge. I am also hoping to make the screen capable of deflecting a deer as there a lot around here.
Description
Description

Description
Description

tims31 - 6/9/15 at 08:09 AM

Personally I think it would look better with a radius, plus the screen will probably be stronger with the radius and bonded to the frame.

rusty nuts - 6/9/15 at 11:59 AM

I suspect that in the UK have a radius on the screen to meet IVA standards

mark chandler - 6/9/15 at 01:24 PM

Square looks nasty, I would have radius with the sides at maybe 15 degrees off vertical as well.

David Jenkins - 6/9/15 at 04:20 PM

I'd also vote for a radius.

That car's going to look impressive when it's finished!

Dale - 6/9/15 at 04:25 PM

Looks like it radius edged is the consensus.
More of an angle would look better on the sides but then i would be looking through the side posts. Originally I was hoping to make it fold forward with brooklands left up but too much work for what little time i get to work on it.
quick edit with radius
Description
Description

Thanks
dale

[Edited on 6/9/15 by Dale]

steve m - 6/9/15 at 05:02 PM

Needs more of a radius that's just a rounded off square

02GF74 - 6/9/15 at 10:21 PM

Radiused corners for sure.

Maybe its just me but the RH roll hoop looks like a cock.

Dale - 7/9/15 at 12:28 AM

02GF74, you have a good eye, after I figured out what you were saying( if i got it right and you ment crooked and not -looks like sh@t-), it was off by about 1.3 degrees. Luckily it was only tacked in so it should be straight tomorrow.
They would look much better about 6 inches shorter but they would be no higher than my ears.
Dale

DIY Si - 7/9/15 at 07:39 AM

I think he meant the top of the screen crosses the roll hoops at such a height as to make it look like a cock!

Imagine the car with the central vertical bar in each hoop missing below the windscreen top edge and it's a bit clearer!!

Dale - 7/9/15 at 03:53 PM

ahhhh you may be right. Either way I found a mistake which I am glad to have seen.
Dale