Rescued attachment P1170031.JPG

Hellfire - 19/2/05 at 09:31 AM

Whooooo........

Nice one...

Hope all goes well.....

Northy - 19/2/05 at 10:13 AM

Nice one Mark, I'll be watching

Mark Allanson - 19/2/05 at 10:26 AM

Cycle wings now prepped for etch, rear wings need sealing around the stainless stone guards Rescued attachment P1180032.JPG
Rescued attachment P1180032.JPG

Mark Allanson - 19/2/05 at 10:40 AM

There, all sealed up Rescued attachment P1180033.JPG
Rescued attachment P1180033.JPG

Mark Allanson - 19/2/05 at 03:11 PM

Scuttle being squared up, final fill! (I hope) Rescued attachment P1180034.JPG
Rescued attachment P1180034.JPG

Mark Allanson - 19/2/05 at 07:22 PM

Still here! Nearly ready for the big prime Rescued attachment P1180035.JPG
Rescued attachment P1180035.JPG

Peteff - 19/2/05 at 07:25 PM

Prime time viewing

scutter - 19/2/05 at 08:02 PM

givemethebighammer - 19/2/05 at 09:09 PM

Looks like your car's in hospital for an operation ! You have the knowledge, experience and the right equipment for the job. No reason it shouldn't turn out brilliant.

looking forward to the pics of the finished job.

Mark Allanson - 19/2/05 at 09:22 PM

I have just put the etch onto bake, now prepping the hibuild, no pickie because the lights go off on bake!

GMTBH, remember, its over 10 years since I picked up a gun!

givemethebighammer - 19/2/05 at 09:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
I have just put the etch onto bake, now prepping the hibuild, no pickie because the lights go off on bake!

GMTBH, remember, its over 10 years since I picked up a gun!

It's probably a few years since I got in a swimming pool, but I'm sure I can still swim.

Have confidence Mark, what you might call a slightly "iffy" paint job would probably put us amateurs to shame.

Mark Allanson - 19/2/05 at 10:00 PM

Its is all going well, no problems so far, but colour coat tomorrow!

It is all etched now, just going to hibuild, totally shattered Rescued attachment P1180036.JPG
Rescued attachment P1180036.JPG

Mark Allanson - 19/2/05 at 11:06 PM

Back home now, paint under my fingernails, worn out. I used an accelerator to speed up the high build so I didn't need to bake it (another 45mins).

MikeRJ - 20/2/05 at 04:25 PM

Wouldn't it have been easier to remove the wheels to get to the panels behind them?

Mark Allanson - 20/2/05 at 06:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Wouldn't it have been easier to remove the wheels to get to the panels behind them?

Literally just finished, Mike, there is loads of room to get the gun in and that area is hidded by the arches anyway, if I was going to do the side panels, all the front suspension would have to come off......sod that for a game of soldiers! Rescued attachment P1190037.JPG
Rescued attachment P1190037.JPG

Northy - 20/2/05 at 07:01 PM

Now that is a nice blue!

Mark Allanson - 20/2/05 at 08:09 PM

I am really pleased, I haven't painted in ages, I got one big run on the rear panel in the clearcoat (easily nibbed out). The colour goes REALLY well with the chrome, I put the edging back on the bonnet. 20 hours work but well worth it, just got to put it all together now! Rescued attachment JFV Blue.jpg
Rescued attachment JFV Blue.jpg

andy d (rizla) - 20/2/05 at 08:26 PM

with matching phone case

scutter - 20/2/05 at 08:35 PM

All I can say is "sweet"

Dan.

givemethebighammer - 20/2/05 at 08:39 PM

Very nice job Mark, not picked up a gun in 10 years ? Guess there are some things you just don't forget eh ?

Seriously that blue looks really good, you must be close to finishing the car now.

zetec - 20/2/05 at 09:10 PM

That does look very nice.

I've been tempted to get mine sprayed and now I know the colour I would go for!

Wadders - 20/2/05 at 09:33 PM

Nice job Mark, cool colour, R1 engine a future possibility????

Al.

Mark Allanson - 20/2/05 at 09:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
Nice job Mark, cool colour, R1 engine a future possibility????

Al.

When finished the car will be doing quite high mileages so I don't think a bike engine would cope, I think the pinto will be staying for a while (until I find a Lancia thema 8.32!!)

omega 24 v6 - 20/2/05 at 11:55 PM

Great paint job and colour. Well done and good to see it all happening in this thread.:

[Edited on 20/2/05 by omega 24 v6]

pbura - 21/2/05 at 03:27 AM

Beautiful job, Mark! What kind of paint?

James - 21/2/05 at 03:21 PM

Hi Mark,

Really nice job. Bit annoyed you've stolen the paint colour I'm looking for (I want the Honda Blackbird Candy Blue which I reckon looks similar to yours) but that plan's gone on hold slightly after I got a few quotes for getting it painted!

What colour is yours btw? It's not Rover Tahitian Blue is it?

Cheers,
James

Mark Allanson - 21/2/05 at 08:03 PM

The colour is rover trophy blue, like the MGZT 75 things.

The type of pant...

2K etch first, then 2K hibuild primer, 1k polyester basecoat, followed by 2K clearcoat. Should be durable!

stephen_gusterson - 21/2/05 at 08:14 PM

nice job mark.

not unlike the renault megane ottoman blue

atb

steve

soggy - 24/2/05 at 08:31 PM

i have to agree the paint is a good colour my (still unfinished)avon has been this colour for over a year now, trying to get to stoneleigh this year how long will it take you to finish yours?

Mark Allanson - 24/2/05 at 09:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by soggy
i have to agree the paint is a good colour my (still unfinished)avon has been this colour for over a year now, trying to get to stoneleigh this year how long will it take you to finish yours?

I think this weekend will have the whole car finished, then book the SVA (), I have got to mrefit the rear arches and rear lamps, refit the dash and thats about it! 28 months from start to finish - a bit longer that I first thought

Danozeman - 24/2/05 at 11:02 PM

Mate thats a very nice colour!! Nicely done too. Should look excellent when its all together!!

jambojeef - 24/2/05 at 11:20 PM

James! Rover taihiti blue - mmmmm!!

Sprayed my last motorbike fairing in that colour after seeing it randomly in the car park at work on a metro!

Am thinking of it for my nose cone and arches.....but natural carbon fibre keeps getting in the way - dreams are healthy..

chunkielad - 25/2/05 at 08:15 AM

Nice work mate

I like Ford Metallic Java blue myself

James - 25/2/05 at 11:26 AM

Reason I wanted blue in the first place- after seeing my mates Honda Blackbird in Candy Blue. Unfortunately I can't find a google of a picture that does the bike justice!

Honda Blackbird Candy Blue
Honda Blackbird Candy Blue

Anyway, phoned around a few places and was getting quotes of £600 plus for the proper paint job.

So in the end I'm gonna go for something as close to this as possible:

Prost's Blue
Prost's Blue

Which I reckon is very pretty indeed!

Cheers,
James

Mark Allanson - 25/2/05 at 07:31 PM

I will post a pickie of the car together on sunday night, the colour does look very similar to the F1 car. i also considered ford imperial blue (st200) which is fractionally darker but a bit more pearly

andyps - 26/2/05 at 10:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
When finished the car will be doing quite high mileages so I don't think a bike engine would cope, I think the pinto will be staying for a while (until I find a Lancia thema 8.32!!)

Just get a Ferrari 308/328 - slightly higher state of tune for the same engine. Would be a real shame to break up a Thema 8.32!

Car looks great - is it re-assembled yet?

Mark Allanson - 26/2/05 at 11:07 PM

I spent today putting her back together, nice feeling to see so much progress in one day, I might paint the wheels tomorrow (something a bit special Rescued attachment Back together.jpg
Rescued attachment Back together.jpg

MikeR - 26/2/05 at 11:54 PM

Your car looks amazing................

but i think you've missed a bit

Mark Allanson - 27/2/05 at 12:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Your car looks amazing................

but i think you've missed a bit

Yeah, OK, I still cannot decide what colour to do the rollbar, blue, silver or satin black

MikeR - 27/2/05 at 12:13 AM

if you do it in silver, then you have to have silver elsewhere - wishbones?

Black will just make it disappear which is normally a good thing but your car looks so nice i'd be tempted to do it in that rather lovely blue.

Mark Allanson - 27/2/05 at 12:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
if you do it in silver, then you have to have silver elsewhere - wishbones?

Black will just make it disappear which is normally a good thing but your car looks so nice i'd be tempted to do it in that rather lovely blue.

The wishbone are silver, so will be the wheels, there is a lot of chrome on the car, and I am tempted towards silver for the rollbar, The blue is so bright (the photos don't do it justice), that I think that it would be too much at the rear, but than again the transition from the rear panel to the bar looks really good Rescued attachment Back together2.jpg
Rescued attachment Back together2.jpg

clbarclay - 27/2/05 at 12:31 AM

Personal experiance of painting model cars says that blue and silver goes very well together.

Looking at the picture you've made one of the trailing arms adjustable in the middle, won't that potetial weaken it as its under compression most of the time?

[Edited on 27/2/05 by clbarclay]

[Edited on 27/2/05 by clbarclay]

pbura - 27/2/05 at 12:34 AM

Looks like you're going to have ally sides? Should look v. good

I'll vote for a blue rollbar. You could put black pads on it to break the monotony a bit

Chris_R - 27/2/05 at 10:49 AM

Would be silver for me. The car looks fantastic and the blue is excellent, but it's might be a little excessive on the roll bar too. It's Cracking job though and will look good no matter which you choose.

bob - 27/2/05 at 10:53 AM

as said before very nice colour,good choice since the darker version of that blue is very common.

Cars going to look great.

Danozeman - 27/2/05 at 11:01 AM

My vote is with silver for the roll bar.... I love that colour!!

MikeRJ - 27/2/05 at 02:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by clbarclay
Looking at the picture you've made one of the trailing arms adjustable in the middle, won't that potetial weaken it as its under compression most of the time?

They aren't fabricated arms, they are from a Nissan Bluebird IIRC. If it's good enough for Nissan...

Mark Allanson - 27/2/05 at 08:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

They aren't fabricated arms, they are from a Nissan Bluebird IIRC. If it's good enough for Nissan...

Dead right Mike, Bluebird rear arms. They are only under compression on accelleration, and under tension on braking. Most of the time they have very little load. There are no stresses at any angle other than 0° or 180° so nothing to worry about. The tubes are 19x3mm and the adjusters are M12 and extend into the tubes by about 50mm each side and have large lock nuts. I have 3 adjustable and one static to act as a datum on which to adjust the others. A forth one has been extended to make an adjustable panhard rod.

Back to the car, I promised a few shots of it assembled Rescued attachment Painted Front.jpg
Rescued attachment Painted Front.jpg

Mark Allanson - 27/2/05 at 08:25 PM

The bonnet to scuttle ... Rescued attachment Painted Side.jpg
Rescued attachment Painted Side.jpg

Mark Allanson - 27/2/05 at 08:25 PM

and the rear with a few more shiney bits added Rescued attachment Painted Rear.jpg
Rescued attachment Painted Rear.jpg

craig1410 - 27/2/05 at 11:40 PM

Mark,
It's looking really nice. We should rename you "Mr Motivator" as you are certainly making me want to go work on my car regardless of the need to sleep, eat and (especially) go to work!!

The really good thing is that it doesn't seem very long ago that your were at the same stage which I am currently at so there may be hope for me yet to get my car on the road this summer....

Cheers,
Craig.

Micael - 28/2/05 at 09:04 AM

Mark,

You shoudn't have tools laying around on the floor like that. You might trip and fall

And I likte the color!!

[Edited on 28/2/05 by Micael]

Bananaman - 28/2/05 at 02:56 PM

Mark, the car is starting to look absolutely superb. The colour looks great. My twopenneth worth is paint the roll bar silver.

Whereabouts are you in Cornwall. I wouldn't mind having a look when it's on the road. My next project, when I've sold the Xtreme, is a book chassis. It would be nice to see one in the flesh, so to speak.

Cheers
Michael

Mark Allanson - 28/2/05 at 06:47 PM

I am in Crowlas, I will be attending most of the local shows, I am sure we will meet up sooner than later

clbarclay - 28/2/05 at 07:14 PM

Its hard to judge having not seen the car/blue colour in the flesh, but better than an ordinary silver would be a darker silve/metalic grey of the right shade.

Mark Allanson - 28/2/05 at 08:23 PM

quote:
Its hard to judge having not seen the car/blue colour in the flesh, but better than an ordinary silver would be a darker silve/metalic grey of the right shade.

Now that is cruel, I had just decided on the coarsest silver we have at work.....

Hellfire - 28/2/05 at 08:50 PM

I agree with Mr Barclay... kindof a Gunmetal grey... v.nice!

[Edited on 28-2-05 by Hellfire]

Mark Allanson - 28/2/05 at 08:59 PM

Just winding me up now

andyps - 28/2/05 at 10:58 PM

Sorry Mark, but I would agree that a slightly dark silver would look good. I spent ages trying to get the wheels right for my road car and settled on Halfords Steel wheels colour, which I think would look great with your blue.

clbarclay - 1/3/05 at 12:03 AM

Maybe in a few posts time i will sugest an even better colour scheme.

greggors84 - 1/3/05 at 07:39 PM

Its quite a cool effect you have with the roll bar at the moment, how about the blue fading into the silver, but niot as gradual as it is at the moment, only about 4" up on the rollbar.

Mark Allanson - 1/3/05 at 07:45 PM

I had thought of that, but unless I get the fadeout exactly right on all 4 tubes it would look a bit shabby.

I could always use the holoflakes I got off ebay!! (no not really!)

andyps - 3/3/05 at 10:06 PM

After my last post I remembered two things from earlier in the thread - the join between roll bar and body, and the unpainted aluminium sides and changed my mind. I would go for a roll bar to match the body colour - the joins look good and using them as a colour change point would lose some of the effect. Anything other than the same colour as the side panels or other painted parts would probably be too much. Go for the blue.

MikeR - 4/3/05 at 12:00 AM

Mark, any chance of some side on pictures. I keep wondering about spliting the side panel like you've done and worrying about it spoiling the lines....

from what i can see of yours it doesn't in the slightest and would like to ogle a bit more

Mark Allanson - 4/3/05 at 08:28 PM

This is the nearest I have to a side on until tomorrow, i am refitting the dash and tranny tunnel cover to make the car look totally finished. Rescued attachment Side On.jpg
Rescued attachment Side On.jpg

soggy - 5/3/05 at 11:47 AM

hi i have just put a piccie on my gallery it looks more finished than it realy is,

Spottty - 5/3/05 at 05:59 PM

Wow, very nice color. Its the same one I want to use (I dont think we will see each other though, there is a big puddle between us).

Now are you wetsanding it and polishing it or does spraying in the booth help with orange peel? (I cant see any in the pics but its hard to see that unless in the flesh) I have painted a few little things but never in a booth.

Very nice car, you have really motovated me to get started ASAP!

Mark Allanson - 25/3/05 at 06:26 PM

I am definately going to paint it silver, there I've decided!! Rescued attachment RollBarBlue.jpg
Rescued attachment RollBarBlue.jpg

pbura - 25/3/05 at 07:05 PM

Got to tell you, sir, that is some seriously fine welding, and the solid color shows it off nicely.

What, you don't like the blue??? Why don't you paint the whole damned car silver, then?

Pete

Chris_R - 25/3/05 at 10:13 PM

Nice reg. How much did that cost?

Mark Allanson - 26/3/05 at 10:33 PM

£3

ned - 27/3/05 at 12:11 AM

did ya have to have the v5 to get it?