Board logo

Hard or flexible pipes
Rob55 - 18/8/13 at 11:06 AM

I am running my fuel lines up the tunnel and stuck whether to use hard or flexible pipes. I have both here, what would you do? PS The fuel pipe I have is top of the range Gates Barricade from the USA so compatible with ethanol and modern fuels.

theduck - 18/8/13 at 11:13 AM

Flexi, but only because I hate working with hard pipe.

JAG - 18/8/13 at 11:49 AM

When I did mine I used hard pipes!

designer - 18/8/13 at 11:54 AM

I always use hard for long runs.

Mark Allanson - 18/8/13 at 12:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by designer
I always use hard for long runs.

Second that, I used galvanised 8mm steel as I am allergic to fire.

britishtrident - 18/8/13 at 01:30 PM

Metal braided fuel hoses are very prone to pin hole leaks due to broken ends of the metal braids piercing the inner hose liner..

coozer - 18/8/13 at 02:42 PM

I'm doing just that right now, I'm using 8mm copper for the feed from the pump and 10mm copper for the return to the tank. All riveted to the frame with the correct size plastic P clip.

Smokey mow - 18/8/13 at 06:04 PM

If they're under the car or can't be seen easily to inspect them periodically then go for hard lines but if everything is visible so you can check for leeks and damage then flexible would be ok IMO.

blakep82 - 18/8/13 at 06:11 PM

i ran copper lines down my tunnel, but because of prop, and exhaust all having to go in there too, i ran it through a plastic plumbing water pipe.
my theory is, it'll be protected from stuff hitting it, from heat, and if it starts to crack or leak for any reason, the fuel will run out one end of the plastic pipe or the other where i can see it easily.

the exhaust will be wrapped in exhaust wrap too, to keep the heat away from the tunnel and everything else in there

loggyboy - 18/8/13 at 07:33 PM

Copper or kunifer hard lines.

TimC - 18/8/13 at 07:51 PM

I vote: