Board logo

cycle speedos
stu da rude - 13/3/06 at 07:50 PM

For those of you that have used these as a speedo's on your cars, i have a quick question. do they all limit at around 99km/h? secondly, and more importantly, is there a maximum pulse width they can measure before the reading becomes incorrect? by using the manufacturers spec for max/min inputtable circumference figures and this theoretical top speed it means typically, 22 pulses per second is the resultant pulse width at max speed with min circumference. for my application i think ill be getting around 80 pulses per second, is it simply not possible to input a circumference smaller than the book says, or is it because 22 pulses is the maximum pulse width the thing can measure?

answers on a postcard...

Jon Ison - 13/3/06 at 08:20 PM

I tested one on a pillar drill once, it read nice and steady up too 119mph before it went awol, I never fitted in car, was intending too but bought a digi dash instead.

Micael - 13/3/06 at 09:04 PM

I'm using a Sigma cycle speedo and it works at least up to 140 km/h.
I have mount the sender on the rear break drum..

locoboy - 13/3/06 at 10:35 PM

Sounds to me like your trying to mount it to read off the prop adaptor?

Try and mount it to read off something that does not spin so fast/has a larger diameter, eg diff output flange or a rear brake drum or rear wheel.

JAG - 14/3/06 at 08:44 AM

My Sigma BC1200 claims to read upto 183mph (300km/h) and has an acceptable wheel range that easily covers my 185/60 14 tyre circumference.

I mounted the magnet inside the wheel rim and made up a bracket to mount the sensor. I have had very few problems since SVA.

At SVA I had some problems getting an accurate speed reading when the car was on the rollers. On the road it was perfect - I confirmed this by driving in convoy with my wife.

I got it through SVA by adjusting the speedo on the rollers.

I adjusted it back as soon as I got home.

Peteff - 14/3/06 at 11:00 AM

We had a Sigma that read up to 180mph, well 123mph verified. The ones that read up to 99.9 will start again at 0 when they reach their limit so you just add it onto 100

stu da rude - 15/3/06 at 12:17 PM

thanks for the replys people, looks like ill have to have a rethink...