Board logo

altenator help needed
gy351100 - 11/9/08 at 12:18 PM

hi all
can anyone help please
i have been fitting fuel sender/gauge, oil pressure sender/gauge and temp sender/gauge and at each stage checked that all was ok.
BUT after fitting the last connection, (the oil pressure low warning light), switched on the ignition to check and the ignition light dimmed and went off and will not now come on.
the connection from the alternator to the ignition light are ok.
SO please does anyone have any idears.
cheers
keith

speedyxjs - 11/9/08 at 12:20 PM

Bulb gone?

meany - 11/9/08 at 12:24 PM

i take it you are still using the original oil pressure sender aswell as sender for the gauge?.

oh yeah....could just be the bulb

[Edited on 11/9/08 by meany]

mookaloid - 11/9/08 at 12:25 PM

if you undo the last connection does the light work then?

gy351100 - 11/9/08 at 12:25 PM

hi
do not think that i might have checked
the bulb?????
keith

hi again
i have disconnected the pressure sender(which is new) and the light, then checked the voltage from the alternator which read very low about 2 volts
i hate to admit to myself it might be the alternator

[Edited on 11/9/08 by gy351100]

02GF74 - 11/9/08 at 12:57 PM

2 volts from alternator???

output of alternator connects to battery so unless your battery is totally knackered, then that is not pissible.

the other connector, assuming Lucas alternator - goes to bulb and other end end to 12 V of battery - this is the small current needed to help the alternator self-excite.

When off, this should be 0 V and bulb lights, it still should light up even if it is 2 V.

when laternator is running and charging, the connector goes to 12 V and since there is not voltage drop acorss the bulb, no current flows through it hence the bulb does not light up.

gy351100 - 11/9/08 at 01:24 PM

hi
thanks folks for your input
i have now found the fault
as my wife says i am always getting my wires crossed!!!!!
keith

daviep - 11/9/08 at 01:51 PM

Tell us what it was then?

Davie