Board logo

corsa 1.3 cdti glowplugs
omega 24 v6 - 30/1/12 at 08:02 PM

I may have to in the future change a glowplug in the future Son in laws car as above. They look real fragile little feckers and I'm concerned ( after researching the www ) that they may be seized/shear off or spin in the head.
I'd doubt they ever been replaced before either so with 6 years and 90k on the clock whats the best way to go about it??
Should I dribble penetrating oil into the threads a few times a couple of weeks before hand ( never thought that it did any good before on anything else I've ever tried it on) or try dribbling diesel down the holes ( a lot of mates swear by the deisel trick but never tried myself). logig would also dictate to do it wth the engine as hot as possible ( any thoughts on that?)
Really not looking forward to it.
As usual thanks in advance folks.

britishtrident - 30/1/12 at 08:10 PM

!2 hr soak in Phosphoric acid --- aka Naval Jelly or alloy Wheel Cleaner.

dinosaurjuice - 30/1/12 at 08:15 PM

worth giving it a try first, lightly. i was amazed how badly seized they looked on a citroen hdi, but they came out no bother. if it seems too difficult do what BT said.

jacko - 30/1/12 at 08:27 PM

If it snaps it will be a BIG job like on vectras

omega 24 v6 - 30/1/12 at 08:29 PM

quote:

f it snaps it will be a BIG job like on vectras

Did you wonder WHY i was asking?? LOL

TGR-ECOSSE - 30/1/12 at 08:36 PM

Ive never had a problem with the cdti glow plugs. Just get the engine very hot before you take them out. Its been a while since i posted on here eh !!!

omega 24 v6 - 30/1/12 at 09:13 PM

Good to see you have not left the building
ETA is that 2 hrs or 12 hrs B.T.??

[Edited on 30/1/12 by omega 24 v6]

britishtrident - 30/1/12 at 09:49 PM

Overnight then quick spray with WD40 5 minutes before you start to pull them out

Chippy - 30/1/12 at 11:21 PM

Or you could try a can of Coke, let that soak overnight. Never tried it but know a couple of people that have, and they say it works great. HTH Ray

westf27 - 31/1/12 at 08:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
Or you could try a can of Coke, let that soak overnight. Never tried it but know a couple of people that have, and they say it works great. HTH Ray

Diet coke I guess would be best