Board logo

dying leather
theconrodkid - 18/12/12 at 08:39 PM

is it posible to dye tan leather seats black without all the dye coming off and them looking carp in a few months ?

se7en - 18/12/12 at 08:46 PM

What! you want your seats to look like a fish?

jossey - 18/12/12 at 08:48 PM

most leather these days is treated and wont dye properly. i went to get my car leather dyed in my bimmer and they said it wont turn out right.

I am unsure if you leather is treated but I guess it needs a pro to tell you.

good luck though.

umgrybab - 18/12/12 at 08:54 PM

I went to an old school cobbler when some of my shoes were needing sharpening up and ended up buying some aerosol dye. It works a treat and will allow you to change the colour of your leather.

PSpirine - 18/12/12 at 10:02 PM

Unless your leather is aniline (or "natural", it will have inhibitors in it, which will prevent it from dyeing properly.

Even semi-aniline leather has the top-coat sealers, to prevent bleeding of dyes (in or out).

Although some leather "spray paints" seem to get good reviews, I'm not sure I'd trust it on something as hard-wearing as seats, particularly in an open-top roadster! Rain, sun and jeans abrasion is the worst combination for any fabric.

Ninehigh - 18/12/12 at 10:43 PM

I read somewhere that you have to remove that protective layer (iirc) then dye it and seal it again. By the look of it it was a fairly big job too. Can't remember where I read it but I was looking up leather treatments for my seats

bi22le - 18/12/12 at 10:56 PM

Yup its easier to re trim or resell then buy new.

In my old job pimping cars we used a leather coloniser company who used to match and paint leather colours. I would not trust it as car seat use though. It was just kick as high quality paint.

Very impressive to watch though.

cliftyhanger - 19/12/12 at 06:55 AM

Years ago I used some "viyl and leather paint" to change some vinyl seats from tan to black.
They were the rear seats in my Triumph Vitesse convertible, put up with young kids, carseats, sticky sweets, the occasional clean and lots and lots of open top motoring and miles. The only places you ever saw the original colour was when they got scratched, and eventually a bit of wear on corners. The stuff worked much better than I thought.

Saying that, new seats would be a much better solution, I was being cheap and working with what I had.....

theconrodkid - 19/12/12 at 08:19 AM

ill take that as a no then,cheers for the answers peeps

ChrisW - 20/12/12 at 04:58 PM

Easiest just to change the seats Johnski! Surely someone will buy the old tan ones if they're in good nick?

Chris