Board logo

Is it worth going through IVA?
worcestersauce - 9/2/09 at 08:21 PM

I planned to build my BEC Indy for occasional road use, but mainly for track days and club level hillclimbs. With the added cost of IVA (£500) Reverse box (£300) Lights ( £100) tax (£75), I am starting to question wether to put it on the road at all, and just use it on the track. How often do you guys use your cars on the road, and is it worth the extra £1k to do this?

Andy

jacko - 9/2/09 at 08:25 PM

Last year i only did 1000 miles mainly due to the weather

snapper - 9/2/09 at 08:26 PM

Tow bar and electrics £300, trailer £750.

Currently i use my car any time the weather is dry

950 miles since SVA July 08 and i plan a lot more this year

[Edited on 9/2/09 by snapper]

matt.c - 9/2/09 at 08:28 PM

Karting now sounds a good idea now as the higher costs of building and running a kitcar.

PAUL FISHER - 9/2/09 at 08:30 PM

The car will be worth more road registered,in the case of your average Indy,I would say a road registered one would be worth around £2000 to £3000 more than a track only Indy,so the extra £1000 to get your IVA would be money well spent in my opinion.

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

worcestersauce - 9/2/09 at 08:35 PM

Thanks for your replies. Tow bar and trailer accounted for already, but worth pointing out!
I guess at 1000-2000 miles/year it would be worth putting on the road. I guess it would also add value being registered?

worcestersauce - 9/2/09 at 08:38 PM

Would I have to have reverse box for club level (Nat B ) hillclimbing and sprints? I would have to be in race class rather than roadgoing.

Andy

BenB - 9/2/09 at 09:31 PM

I'd get it on the road. I use mine maybe once every couple of weeks when it's dry and > 5 degrees. Wouldn't give it up for the world

minitici - 9/2/09 at 10:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by worcestersauce
Would I have to have reverse box for club level (Nat B ) hillclimbing and sprints? I would have to be in race class rather than roadgoing.

Andy

You can only get away with running without reverse if you enter "Sports Libre".
Road going & 'Modified' classes require reverse.
But Sports Libre also requires 6 point harness and a beefier roll bar etc......

Meeerrrk - 9/2/09 at 10:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
I'd get it on the road. I use mine maybe once every couple of weeks when it's dry and > 5 degrees. Wouldn't give it up for the world

agreed, do it!

DIY Si - 9/2/09 at 10:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB

+5? You big girl! I've been out in freezing fog in mine, and a friends car said it was -4.5! That was a bit chilly that day.

idl1975 - 10/2/09 at 09:08 AM

As Matt C points out, if you aren't going to road reg it and you don't want to race it, why not save your money and buy a kart, ... or for that matter a clapped out hot hatch and some slicks.

quote:
Originally posted by worcestersauce
I planned to build my BEC Indy for occasional road use, but mainly for track days and club level hillclimbs. With the added cost of IVA (£500) Reverse box (£300) Lights ( £100) tax (£75), I am starting to question wether to put it on the road at all, and just use it on the track. How often do you guys use your cars on the road, and is it worth the extra £1k to do this?

Andy

Krismc - 10/2/09 at 08:21 PM

Still got 9 weeks or so for sva, they plan to roll IVA in on 27th apr but say it may take longer.

Apply now, take it in April (nearly complete) and fail and its only £38 re-test. I am(but hopefully it should be finished)