Board logo

who does complete kits?
Dillinger1977 - 6/3/05 at 07:50 PM

hello, complete newbie here!
ideally looking for near-complete abandoned project to finish off, but these are thin on the ground so im looking at potentially creating my own.
BUT! i'm no mechanic, have a small garage, and have no means of fabricating/welding..

so..

aside from caterham and westfield (beyond my budget), does anyone else supply complete kits which can just be bolted
together at my leisure?
(preferably with an idiot proof manual!)

ideally i'd be after a big delivery of everything i need, and just get on with it!
so it would help if they also did the donor parts too)

looking for sevens, and also ginetta/fury style. the closer the better (manchester based)

many thanks!

shortie - 6/3/05 at 07:59 PM

Hi there and welcome,

Quite a few manufacturers around who do seven style kits and most can provide everything you need in one go although most people like to do a few bits different so buy these bits themselves, such as instruments, lights, etc.

I am building an MK Indy and have, like you, a single garage and no welding facilities, so far I have found it not too bad, there are bits that are quite hard but there is always someone on here that can help.

The Indy is by no means the only one but is very good value for money, most kits except car or bike engine.

Maybe if you can there is a show at Stafford next weekend where you will be able to see all the kits and get some good advice, maybe worth visiting if you can.

Here's a couple of links....

MK Sportcars
http://www.mksportscars.co.uk/

Luego
http://www.luegosportscars.com

Hope that helps,
Rich.

[Edited on 6/3/05 by shortie]

[Edited on 6/3/05 by shortie]

Avoneer - 6/3/05 at 08:29 PM

Mine's still for sale when you give up looking!
Pat...

Dillinger1977 - 6/3/05 at 08:49 PM

cheers shortie
luego website is very impressive, list of packs, prices, online build manual. good stuff.

the mk one is a bit spartan though.. doesnt give much away, other than 2 fully built prices.

stafford show is a very good idea! looks like i have the weekend sorted

shortie - 6/3/05 at 09:02 PM

Have to agree with you about the MK website, they have changed it recently and it's still being sorted. They can certainly build chassis though and are very helpful.

It would be a great idea to go to the show as you will be able to see them all, also have a look at http://www.mac1motorsports.co.uk as they are also very good and their customer service is second-to-none, website is not bad either.

If you go to the show then there will be plenty of us going so could be worth meeting up with a few to get ideas, most likely be in the bar at some point!!

Rich.

Ben_Copeland - 6/3/05 at 09:40 PM

Dont forget Darren @ GTS

http://www.gtscougar.freeserve.co.uk/

Hellfire - 6/3/05 at 09:42 PM

Welcome to the nut-house. None of us are mechanics, we too only have a small garage and no means of fabrication/welding.

To be honest there are plenty of people on here who even do it outdoors (Building of course).

Best thing to do is get along to a local meet and blag a ride in various types of car (both car engined and bike engined) The nearest meet to you would be at Chinley head on every third Wednesday of the month. Ask lots of questions - all the guys are friendly and willing to pass on knowledge and information to help you in your quest.

Lastly have a read of our build diary. It should give you some idea of what is involved, regardless of which kit you ultimately choose.

Good luck.............

JoelP - 6/3/05 at 10:52 PM

i feel the need to mention marc at MNR, a top bloke and maybe your most local marque (pun intended... sorry!). He's up by menwith hill barracks (sp?)

http://www.mnrltd.co.uk/

cracking cars too.

DarrenW - 7/3/05 at 11:00 AM

I shortlisted MK, MNR and Mac#1. Not really anything to split them all. All offered good advice and excellent products. I eventually opted for Mac#1, never regretted it and can buy everything i need off them as and when required if its not available locally. The new features of the ZR chassis swung it for me (engine further back) and Mark and Colin are top blokes. I bought the chassis kit and most of stage 1 and 2 at once. Other bits when funds allow. Dont forget that they (i mean any of the suppliers) may even do you a part build if you have cash to throw at it and doubt some of your skills. The biggest problem is too many options - where do you draw the line??

My advice - go to at least one show and talk to the guys. They may be busy so be patient. Arrange to visit their workshops (my short list based on proximity to each other - i did all 3 in one afternoon) and talk some more when you have their undivided attention then make buying decision. You never know - their may be some haggling to have if you are buying a lot at once.

One other point - i too was looking for unfinished build. Some will be genuine but ask yourself why they are unfinished and if you will need to strip it and re-start?? May not be economical long term. There seems to be more of some makes appear unfinished - you decide after you have seen them.

Above all - enjoy it. Its the first part of your build and you need to feel good about it.

Dillinger1977 - 7/3/05 at 11:11 AM

good points there, thanks!

having the manufacturer complete certain parts is a good alternative to an abandoned project, i like that idea.

having no idea of the difficulty involved with certain stages, i'll pass this one back to you guys...

as people that have finished and/or have a project currently on the go, which part did you hate the most? (or to put it better, which bit did you struggle with the most?)

JoelP - 7/3/05 at 05:32 PM

undoubtedly the hardest part for me. Make sure, that if you dont want to (or cant) do it yourself, you get something that someone makes a body for!

Bananaman - 8/3/05 at 09:19 AM

Why not try Quantum?

Cheers
Michael

DarrenW - 8/3/05 at 01:02 PM

Im not really having any problems with mine. I personally would say have a go at building it all yourself. I started by taking loads of photos of part built and finished Mac#1's. Then i took some more. After i got so far on i called in again and took some more. You get the jist. It has all gone together very well but if i had some more cash to throw at it i think i would have ordered it with the bodywork fettled. I dont know how practical this would have been though as some bits are better to be fitted before any bodybits are fitted. Talk to the suppliers about your thoughts. No questions are too daft. You are better off asking now than regretting something later.

Buying bits as you get to that job, buying it all now, buying it part built etc is all down to personal choice and cash. Personally for a first build i wouldnt opt for trying to complete someone elses efforts, you dont know what there skills are etc and if the finish will be good enough for you.

Cheers,
Darren

HTH