Board logo

Dates under wallpaper
Lightning - 1/3/07 at 09:22 PM

My decorators removed the wallpaper from part of the hall in my house today to find written under.

"This was decorated by Norman Jacobs
July 12th 1894"

Wow anyone beat that.

Hellfire - 1/3/07 at 09:31 PM

When we stripped the wallpaper in our house, we found written underneath.

"This was decorated by Jesus of Nazareth, 34AD"

I've always hated that parchment covering the walls

Phil

[Edited on 1-3-07 by Hellfire]

locoboy - 1/3/07 at 09:31 PM

Helped a friend relay some kitchen flooring and upon ripping up the old stuff found a picture of my dad in the newspaper used as underlay from from 30 years ago - spooky!

[Edited on 1/3/07 by locoboy]

Alan_Thomas - 1/3/07 at 09:40 PM

A mate of mine got fed up with the howling draught coming under the back door of his 17th century cottage which was due to the flagstone under the door being worn away over the centuries.
He decided to lift the flagstone and lay it the other way up so that it would be good for another couple of hundred years.

He flipped the stone over and ------

It was part of a gravestone of a chap who died in the 1750's
Good example of early recycling!

He could face walking over some poor chaps headstone every day so got another stone from a recycling yard.
- Alan

carlgeldard - 1/3/07 at 09:52 PM

When I got this house it was classed by the council as unfit for human habitation. When we gutted it the previous owners had used old copies of the Wakefield Express as underlay that was older then me. And that creamy brown wall paper that got a darker shade of brown as you went upstairs turn out to be white where the paper overlapper. That's enough to put anybody of smoking.

Carl

roadrunner - 1/3/07 at 10:07 PM

My brother renewed his loft spyral staicase , and found the joiners name and dated 1864, behind the staircase was a pair of shoes with nails right round the soles to stop them wearing out.

bigrich - 1/3/07 at 11:22 PM

"This was decorated by Jesus of Nazareth, 34AD"

must have been an important decorating job to get a bloke who died 34 years previous to come and sort it

greggors84 - 1/3/07 at 11:28 PM

Wouldnt he have been 34 (or 30 depending who you beleive) when he decorated it. Going on that he was born on 25th Dec 0 AD.

Silly arguement I know!

bigrich - 1/3/07 at 11:36 PM

sorry schoolboy error, was thinking ad started after the death of jesus supose it proves i know nothing about religion

worX - 1/3/07 at 11:36 PM

to continue the (silly) argument he would of still been dead, by about 6 or 2 years... (I think ---> it's been a very long while since I attended "those" types of classes!!!)
Steve.

quote:
Originally posted by greggors84
Wouldnt he have been 34 (or 30 depending who you beleive) when he decorated it. Going on that he was born on 25th Dec 0 AD.

Silly arguement I know!

[Edited on 1/3/07 by worX]

Peteff - 1/3/07 at 11:55 PM

Tha not goin' till tha's finished t'job.
And I'm not sharing my fish and chips wi' five thousand of yer.
Those were the days, remember the miracles you used to do. My favourite was the walking on water. So Jesus stepped out onto the sea to show he still had it. 3 steps and he went down like a stone. The disciples dragged him out, laughing and he said, " Let's see you do better with holes in your feet".

My apologies to any devout Christians.

(with no sense of humour)

[Edited on 2/3/07 by Peteff]