Board logo

Oxy-Hydrogen ..... or snake oil?
RazMan - 14/9/07 at 10:14 PM

I was hearing about this from a mechanic today. He reckons its a serious way to get better economy and more power.
It looks interesting so I thought you lot might like to have a closer look.

http://www.savefuel.ca/oxy-hydrogen/

Discuss

PhilCross66 - 14/9/07 at 10:19 PM

Aren't they basically saying they are splitting water into hydrogen and oxygen then burning it back again. Surely if this worked we would have powerstations running on water.

blakep82 - 14/9/07 at 10:19 PM

well, it's possible. hydrogen is very explosive, and more oxygen in your fuel is what nitrous oxide is all about.

more oxygen means you need more fuel (the hydrogen)

but in reality, i don't think that kit itself is able to produce enough energy to break the bind between hydrogen and oxygen.

not impossible, but i'm doubtful

RazMan - 14/9/07 at 10:27 PM

If I understand the process, you apply a current (20A or so) to distilled water with electrolyte solution. This splits the water down to Hydrogen & Oxygen which is then injected into the standard engine.
The ecu then takes the extra fuel into account and backs off the petrol injection accordingly, hence the economy claims.

As the gas is produced at low pressure and used on demand the dangers of having compressed gas on board are reduced.

And of course it is better for the environment because the exhaust just contains water.

iank - 14/9/07 at 10:39 PM

Oh dear, someone (the snakeoil salesman) needs to go and do some basic physics.

*cough* Conservation of energy *cough*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_energy

Where does that 20amps to initially split the water come from? ah yes the petrol driven alternator...

As PhilCross66 says if true the guy has invented free energy aka a perpetual motion machine.

RazMan - 14/9/07 at 10:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by iank

Where does that 20amps to initially split the water come from? ah yes the petrol driven alternator...

As PhilCross66 says if true the guy has invented free energy aka a perpetual motion machine.

20A is only the same as a pair or headlamps on full beam and I reckon less than 1 hp to produce that via an alternator. Not a bad trade I'd say ..... if it works.

locogeoff - 14/9/07 at 10:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by iank
Oh dear, someone (the snakeoil salesman) needs to go and do some basic physics.

*cough* Conservation of energy *cough*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_energy

Unless you recover energy somehow from the brakes (regenerative braking) or from an exhaust driven turbo alternator

Simon - 14/9/07 at 10:56 PM

Being a bit of a conspiracy fan, I reckon they've (boffins in white coats, controlled by dodgy government agencies) already mastered free energy.

They are just waiting till the oil runs out, then they (the government) can sell it to us for lots of money

The companies will of course have quite a few ministers etc as shareholders.

ATB

Simon

Chippy - 14/9/07 at 10:57 PM

Errm! not quite perpetual, first law states you can never get out, more than you put in, it's the law of diminishing returns. As to whether the thing works or not, lets assume that it does. First you need 12A to get the splitting started, so your gas guzzler has to be running. You then inject your hydrogen in together with the petrol, (basicaly uprating the RON). The one thing you can't do is produce enough hydrogen, to produce enough power, to run the car, and produce enough electricity to produce enough hydrogen, etc, etc, etc. If you get my drift. Ray

iank - 14/9/07 at 11:30 PM

To make the engine more efficient (i.e. less petrol per bhp) the splitting of the water needs to take less energy than it gives back to the engine in improved efficiency. Sorry this isn't going to happen without a major re-write of physics.

If you can pull off this trick you can trivially (for some value of trivial) produce a perpetual motion machine as you are making more energy than you are using and can use the excess to overcome friction.

Google throws up this page, interesting company it's keeping and a very interesting character pushing them:
http://www.carbibles.com/fuel_engine_bible_pg3.html

blakep82 - 15/9/07 at 12:09 AM

http://www.energyquest.ca.gov/projects/split_h2o.html

maybe

zetec7 - 15/9/07 at 05:54 AM

Ain't going to work, I'm afraid. There are losses at every stage...starting with the alternator, which, IIRC, requires something on the order of 12 Bhp while fully charging. There will be further losses, since there is no way to make the reaction (H2O to H & O) perfect without losses. Then there will be losses in the combustion process, etc. etc. It all adds up to putting in more energy than you get out of it.

The laws of physics say it can't happen this way...

snapper - 15/9/07 at 07:59 AM

what would be worth looking at is the amount of "Oxy Hydo" available to the combustion process, even with a 50 litre per hour generator and a 4.6 litre engine sucking in 2.3 liters per revolution i think the percentage volume available of "Oxy Hydro" will be trivial IMHO

matt_gsxr - 15/9/07 at 09:50 AM

I like the quote:

"Hi SaveFuel,

I'm using the OxyHydrogen and am I impressed! I've got an 04 Mercury, Grand Marqui and was getting 17 Miles a gallon. Now I'm getting 23 miles per gallon.The car has more up and go and is definitely running smoother. I'm hardly using any water, only an inch very 200 miles.
"

So it doesn't even use much water. Wow, how tight is that guy, doesn't even want to use water. Surely if it were doing what it was supposed to it would be getting through loads.

Obviously this is all total rubbish.

Have you even noticed how your car runs smoother after you hoover the carpets?

Incidentally, from a conservation of energy perspective. You can't increase the efficiency in this way (i.e. breaking and then reforming the same chemical bonds). It is possible to increase power output (i.e. supercharger in which case more fuel is burned).

I'm surprised he can't be prosecuted under the laws of thermodynamics

Matt

RazMan - 15/9/07 at 10:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
Have you even noticed how your car runs smoother after you hoover the carpets?

Now you mention it ......

BenB - 15/9/07 at 11:32 AM

Quite scarily, I was talking to my bro and sis recently and we had, independantly and without prior discussion, when children all decided that our parents old Morris Marina went faster if (when sat in the back seat) you pressed your foot against the floor of the car..... Bizarre....

RazMan - 15/9/07 at 11:57 AM

Ah now everybody knows that is utter rubbish ...... it only works on a Ford Anglia

StevieB - 15/9/07 at 01:33 PM

There's a programme on TV called Mythbusters where they take things like this and put them to the test - they did this one and it didn't make the slightest bit of difference.

They also tried a few of the other common fuel saving ideas from the internet with the same result - no difference.

v8kid - 15/9/07 at 02:02 PM

Hey lets all sit in the back of the car, press our feet down hard, hoover the carpets and polish it. Then it will do 100mph and fill the tank back up with petrol.

Wee......... I'm gonna be rich!!!