Board logo

Police Incompitence....AGAIN!
DorsetStrider - 21/5/08 at 12:03 AM

Just heard about THIS

More proof as if any was needed that we live in a police state. I can't beleive that the officer actually had the gall to to say what can and cant be tolerated after one of his officers had (when apparently driving illegally) killed a 16 girl in front of her friends. THEN, as if not satisfied with their days work, tasered and arrested one of her friends that was clearly (and understandably) in shock.

Sorry but after a LONG list of similar incidence I have NO respect for anyone wearing the uniform. Bring back mob rule... it's safer!

[Edited on 21/5/08 by DorsetStrider]

coozer - 21/5/08 at 08:05 AM

Yes, I saw it on the local news and thought exactly the same. We are moving into a police state where as the gentleman from Northumbria police said we cannot tolerate that emotion spilling over into violence and disorder, but its OK for police to kill and use weapons against people out on the street.

I would also like to point out that if you go on strike in a dispute with your employer the police will come down very heavy on a crowd gathering... you just wait and see how many of them assemble when they start twisting on about there pay

indykid - 21/5/08 at 08:06 AM

sounds ever so slightly sensationalist to me. i think i'll wait for the on board evidence before i pass judgement.

100mph on residential streets? oh, yes, of course............ fair enough, put some quotes in but bloody hell, at least make them half credible! i thinkk they should stop putting news on the internet, or at least think a bit before they fill the page.

there's still no right for residents to start hurling bricks at anyone. end of. if her ex was getting arsey and wouldn't stop interfering when asked, then he had every reason to be tasered. it probably did him less damage than being batoned to stop.

yes, a police officer may have got it wrong. it doesn't make them wrong as an establishment though.

i don't know what the world's coming to
tom

Alfa145 - 21/5/08 at 08:13 AM

Media sensationalism strikes again....

kendo - 21/5/08 at 08:15 AM

She was 16 and her ex was 23!?!

eznfrank - 21/5/08 at 08:19 AM

I think as above until the full story is established by the IPCC or whoever it's difficult to know what exactly happened.

100mph sounds like a very nice round figure to me, I'd be surprised if it was much more than 50. Not that that makes a difference overall, a kids still dead, however it may suggest the witness evidence was less than reliable?

oldtimer - 21/5/08 at 08:25 AM

Terrible tragedy, loss of a young life. Copper probably distraught too. Really bad all round. No lights - sounds very odd.
Personally I wouldn't have my 16 year old daughter wandering the streets in a gang at 11:30 pm the night before her GCSEs.
Chasing after stolen cars on an estate, gangs of youths, etc, blame our broken society.

scootz - 21/5/08 at 08:37 AM

More proof... as if any were needed... that you are an arse!

To use a tragic incident such as this to push your obvious anti-police sentiments disgusts me (based on your previous nonsense thread about Prince Harry / Police speeding).

By all means, come back to us once the incident has been investigated and feel free to post your reactions based on the OUTCOME.

Until then, it may be an idea to keep your trap shut and stop peddling your infantile 'I'll believe whatever I'm told' crap.

For what it's worth, I too will be mightily pissed off if it transpires that a young girl died due to an illegal act committed by a Police Officer. I would also hope that he/she be dealt with accordingly and proportionately.

Until then, there is nothing more to comment on.

Your utter pish about us living in a police state has set me off... have you ever lived in a police state? I have! And let me tell you - it's nothing like the UK!

And mob-rule... ! Are you 12?

Finally, my best wishes go out to the family and friends of the young girl who has died.

Fozzie - 21/5/08 at 08:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
More proof... as if any were needed... that you are an arse!

To use a tragic incident such as this to push your obvious anti-police sentiments disgusts me (based on your previous nonsense thread about Prince Harry / Police speeding).

By all means, come back to us once the incident has been investigated and feel free to post your reactions based on the OUTCOME.

Until then, it may be an idea to keep your trap shut and stop peddling your infantile 'I'll believe whatever I'm told' crap.

For what it's worth, I too will be mightily pissed off if it transpires that a young girl died due to an illegal act committed by a Police Officer. I would also hope that he/she be dealt with accordingly and proportionately.

Until then, there is nothing more to comment on.

Your utter pish about us living in a police state has set me off... have you ever lived in a police state? I have! And let me tell you - it's nothing like the UK!

And mob-rule... ! Are you 12?

Finally, my best wishes go out to the family and friends of the young girl who has died.

Very well put scootz!

Fozzie

Mr Whippy - 21/5/08 at 08:45 AM

There was a traffic patrol car a few months ago repeatedly over several days, driving without any lights on at all on the dual carriageway even though it was dark and the city’s streetlights were on., no doubt trying to sneak up on folk.

We also have a lot of emergency vehicles (mainly ambulance cars) that are thundering down the streets not using their sirens, I can believe the 100mph in that article from what I’ve seen here.

Paul TigerB6 - 21/5/08 at 08:47 AM

Media sensationalism????? Thats what the media do every day of the week in nigh on every story they print. But are you seriously trying to defend the police officer on this one?? Thats singular police officer not plural!!

From the article.......
"Police officers driving in marked patrol cars are instructed to use their sirens and flashing lights when responding to a 999 call or attempting to pull over a motorist."

So if its found that the officer not only didnt have his blues n two's going, but also didnt have his headlights going (which is an offence in its own!!!) dont you think this cop should be facing a minimum of death by dangerous driving?? Personally i'd like to see a charge of manslaughter myself if its found to be true!!!

Duncan_P - 21/5/08 at 08:49 AM

Irrespective of what his true speed was it was obviously way in excess of what was appropriate for the road conditions, especially as he wasn’t responding to an emergency

indykid - 21/5/08 at 08:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
Media sensationalism????? Thats what the media do every day of the week in nigh on every story they print. But are you seriously trying to defend the police officer on this one?? Thats singular police officer not plural!!

From the article.......
"Police officers driving in marked patrol cars are instructed to use their sirens and flashing lights when responding to a 999 call or attempting to pull over a motorist."

So if its found that the officer not only didnt have his blues n two's going, but also didnt have his headlights going (which is an offence in its own!!!) dont you think this cop should be facing a minimum of death by dangerous driving?? Personally i'd like to see a charge of manslaughter myself if its found to be true!!!

yes i do, but only when it's not reported in the same story designed to provoke such a reaction.

hard judgement can only come from hard facts.

tom

[Edited on 21/5/08 by indykid]

speedyxjs - 21/5/08 at 09:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DorsetStrider
Bring back mob rule... it's safer!

Seems to work ok on the simpsons

scootz - 21/5/08 at 09:11 AM

... but didn't work in South Park!

MikeRJ - 21/5/08 at 09:29 AM

An excellent post scootz, I totaly agree.

quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6

From the article.......

IF it's found to be true. Until the investigation is complete, then this is pure speculation.

Quite why people take stories in the press (and especially in a gutter rag like the Mail) as factual I just can't comprehend. Either there is a naivety epedemic sweeping the nation, or people simply belive what suits them best, never mind the facts.

I also completely fail to understand how anyone would think that attacking a police office with bricks is acceptable, and that the police defending themselves is not. Are they just suppose to stand around getting pelted until the scumbag runs out of bricks?

This is a seriously tragic incident, but at the moment very few facts are known. Jumping to conclusions that simply suit your own views helps no one.

Ivan - 21/5/08 at 09:37 AM

Every person - no matter what their occupation - should be entitled to their day in court for a homicide before the press or public judge their guilt.

I think the real test will be whether, if found guilty of whatever, the sentence will be the same as one given to Joe Bloggs for the same offence.

In fact as a public guardian any sentence should be significantly heavier and if its not, or is lighter ,you might have reason to complain about a "Police" state.

Paul TigerB6 - 21/5/08 at 09:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

IF it's found to be true. Until the investigation is complete, then this is pure speculation.

Quite why people take stories in the press (and especially in a gutter rag like the Mail) as factual I just can't comprehend. Either there is a naivety epedemic sweeping the nation, or people simply belive what suits them best, never mind the facts.

I also completely fail to understand how anyone would think that attacking a police office with bricks is acceptable, and that the police defending themselves is not. Are they just suppose to stand around getting pelted until the scumbag runs out of bricks?

This is a seriously tragic incident, but at the moment very few facts are known. Jumping to conclusions that simply suit your own views helps no one.

I agree with you totally on waiting for the investigation and dont see where i have jumped to any conclusions to suit my own views - i simply stated that if its found to be true (ie by the IPCC and not the press) that the book should be thrown at the officer in question!!

My third paragraph did start in effect "if its found to be true......"

[Edited on 21/5/08 by Paul TigerB6]

MikeRJ - 21/5/08 at 10:15 AM

Paul,

Sorry I didn't format that very well, the first paragraph was in reply to you, the rest of the ramblings were just my views on this.

Paul TigerB6 - 21/5/08 at 10:17 AM

quote:
Paul,

Sorry I didn't format that very well, the first paragraph was in reply to you, the rest of the ramblings were just my views on this.

Gotcha - i did think that after posting but wasnt sure as you quoted me. No problem at all mate - cheers for clearing that up.

contaminated - 21/5/08 at 10:25 AM

I might be missing the point here, but isn't a forum a place to express opinions? I don't know of the original poster's similar threads, but it strikes me only as his own opinion - to which he is entitled. The "mob rule" and "police state" comments were, I think, just banter.

My own view is that I doubt you could place any reliance on the speed of the police car, whether it's light were on or the distance the poor girl was thrown based on witness statements, who were clearly upset. The point however is that the police car did hit the poor girl - so it must have been going too fast for the situation. End of, surely! If, and I mean if, in addition it turns out that he had no blues and twos, or lights, then I hope they nail him to the wall.

scootz - 21/5/08 at 10:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by contaminatedThe point however is that the police car did hit the poor girl - so it must have been going too fast for the situation.

Eh - so all those guys who are trained accident investigators have been wasting their time by studying the intracacies of each individual situation.

Of course - you've nailed it - all they need to know is that if someone is hit by a car then the car must have been going too fast.

What a load of shite!

[Edited on 21/5/08 by scootz]

contaminated - 21/5/08 at 10:33 AM

Mind you I have to concede the spelling of the original thread is a nice touch

Paul TigerB6 - 21/5/08 at 10:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by contaminated
I might be missing the point here, but isn't a forum a place to express opinions? I don't know of the original poster's similar threads, but it strikes me only as his own opinion - to which he is entitled. The "mob rule" and "police state" comments were, I think, just banter.

My own view is that I doubt you could place any reliance on the speed of the police car, whether it's light were on or the distance the poor girl was thrown based on witness statements, who were clearly upset. The point however is that the police car did hit the poor girl - so it must have been going too fast for the situation. End of, surely! If, and I mean if, in addition it turns out that he had no blues and twos, or lights, then I hope they nail him to the wall.

If it was banter - well it was very strong banter and seemed writen to provoke a reaction (which it got well n truly from Scootz).

I would guess that most people getting hit by cars are generally more at fault than the driver of the car regardless of their speed so dont agree at all that just because she was hit then it must be the driver's fault for going to fast. If he had no lights on then its a totally different story isnt it when it comes to blame (and even if within the speed limit at the time!)!!

It sounds from the article / IPCC's comments in there that the police car had a "black box" fitted that records speed / status of the blues n two's etc. If thats the case and they have his true speed, find he had no sirens going then it would add credibility to what sounds like many witness statements saying he had no headlights on too (which i know they do as they followed me one night doing the same - trying to hide and wait for an excuse to pull me). In that case yes he should be nailed to the wall / end of career.

[Edited on 21/5/08 by Paul TigerB6]

02GF74 - 21/5/08 at 10:35 AM

quote:

The point however is that the police car did hit the poor girl - so it must have been going too fast for the situation. End of, surely!

I disagree.

I know a teacher who works in inner city school and it is common practise for the pupils (read as teenage yobs) to step out in front of cars, especially those driven by teachers in order for the cars to make an emergency stop.

Who is to say this is not what happened here?

As for 100 mph!!??? The skip marks and final postion of the car will determine how fast it was going (and tacho?)

contaminated - 21/5/08 at 10:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:
Originally posted by contaminatedThe point however is that the police car did hit the poor girl - so it must have been going too fast for the situation.

Eh - so all those guys who are trained accident investigators have been wasting their times. Of course - all they need to know is that if someone is hit by a car then the car must have been going too fast.

What a load of shite!

Oh come on, I'm not saying that in all instances when a car hits a pedestrian it's going too fast - but in this case, do you really think it's likely it was under the speed limit or that the incident could not have avoided if it was travelling a bit more sedately?! Who was it mentioned a proportionate approach - it was a stolen car not a kidnap!

scootz - 21/5/08 at 10:40 AM

That's the whole point... WE DON'T KNOW!

contaminated - 21/5/08 at 10:54 AM

You're right, and it's wrong to have a speculative discussion, or an opinion about anything - it leads to the need for forums like this. In future I will wait for the Police to investigate fully before commenting.

I would however add to your sentiments for the girl and her poor family - and I'll concede, for the officer, if it turns out he was lawful in his actions.

scootz - 21/5/08 at 11:00 AM

It's not wrong to have discussion. Discussion is good!

What's not good is when someone (and I'm not referring to you) uses such tragic, and uninvestigated, incidents to be Judge, Jury and Executioner.

The OP has already demonstrated in another thread that he is prepared to take the word of the tabloid media as gospel when it suits his agenda of Police-bashing.

I'm not a Police apologist... if wrong doing has been done, then offenders must be punished accordingly.

asn163 - 21/5/08 at 11:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by oldtimer
Terrible tragedy, loss of a young life. Copper probably distraught too. Really bad all round. No lights - sounds very odd.
Personally I wouldn't have my 16 year old daughter wandering the streets in a gang at 11:30 pm the night before her GCSEs.
Chasing after stolen cars on an estate, gangs of youths, etc, blame our broken society.

I agree, this was my thoughts.

Simon

pajsh - 21/5/08 at 12:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by asn163
quote:
Originally posted by oldtimer

I agree, this was my thoughts.

Simon

Totally agree.

Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of this incident the bigger picture is one of a society in which respect for authority (be they teachers, police, etc) has been lost as it has not been drilled in by the parents.

I'm no fan of either profession but I do think they have an increasingly difficult job in contolling our out of control society without the support and respect they deserve.

If we do not change this we need not worry about global warming. Our society will fall apart before we destroy it.

mookaloid - 21/5/08 at 01:05 PM

I've been restraining myself here but I feel I have to comment on this a follows:

1. The police have a very hard job to do. I wouldn't want to do it it would be too stressful/dangerous/difficult and too easy to make a mistake.

2. The people who do the job of trying to ensure that the public (you and me) are safe and protected from the bad guys/idiots, on the whole do a great job.

3. Sometimes they might make a mistake - occasionally as in this instance it turns out tragically. I and most other people occasionally make mistakes too - thankfully I haven't killed anyone by accident but when someone does get killed like this, the driver is usually totally distraught and wishes it hadn't happened. I don't know the circumstances of this particular incident but I'm sure that this was not done deliberately.

4. If you or I or a police officer is found to have been driving in an inappropriate manner, then we will be dealt with according to the law - as will this policeman if he is found to have been driving inappropriately. We have to have faith in our system that the authorities will investigate fully. This is one of the few countries in the world where we can have faith in the authorities to do the right thing.

5. It is not appropriate for gangs of youths to start throwing bottles and bricks at the police at any time so if they do they deserve all they get.

So to all those people who think we are living in a police state go and try living an a real police state like Zimbabwe or some of the eastern block countries or the USA for instance.

Thank you for reading this

mark

Paul TigerB6 - 21/5/08 at 01:31 PM

Agree with 99% of what you put Mark - but if the newspaper report is found by the IPCC to be true - ie no sirens, but more importantly no headlights combined with excessive speed then that to me wouldnt be a mistake but total and utter negligence on behalf of the officer.

Of course they have a tough job but they are in such a position that they should be setting the standards. There are very rightly rules for pursuits which police drivers have to obey even if the hardened criminals use the rules against them to get away sometimes. Time will tell whats actually happened hopefully and if its found the officer in question has broken the law they are supposed to be there to uphold then hopefully he wont be doing the job any longer. Conversely, if he did have lights and sirens going then hopefully he'll soon be back doing the job he probably loves and can himself recover from what he himself must be going through now.

James - 21/5/08 at 01:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kendo
She was 16 and her ex was 23!?!

What's the problem with that then?

Cheers,
James

[Edited on 21/5/08 by James]

contaminated - 21/5/08 at 01:50 PM

So after all that, did anyway catch the debate on Radio 2? I had to go into a meeting 2 mins before

DorsetStrider - 21/5/08 at 02:34 PM

quote:

Firstly let me point out that this is not just a 'gutter rag' story, this story is also being covered on the bbc and sky news. Secondly while I don't hold too much faith in the 100mph thing the officer was obviously driving at speed for the victim to have travelled 50yards from the point of impact (that distance is consistant in all the reports). Thirdly all the reports agree that the police unit did not have it's 'blues and twos' on. Surely driving at speed without a siren is dangerous otherwise what is the point of them?
Yes my comments about mob rule were banter, however they were written when I was sethingly angry so I'll admit poor judgement on that score... however I have little doubt on past experience that this will either be swept under the carpet or the officer concerned will be let off with a wrist slapping... If this was Joe public he/she would be charged with vehicluar manslaughter. The police should know the consequences of dangerous driving and therefore should set an example.

For the record I applied to join the police force several years ago... I withdraw my application 3 months later after seeing the direction the country was heading in.

For the gent who asked if I had lived in a police state I can confirm that the answer is yes (albeit for only a short time). PM's don't wake up one morning and declare a police state as the public would not accept it... they sneak it in slowly hoping no one will notice. That's exactly what is happenig in this country.

I would like to take this opportunity to point out that I object to the accusation that I am using this tragidy to promote anti police views. Both of my recent threads have not been police bashing... they have simply been posted to provide food for thought and if they appear to be police bashing maybe it's because I expect justice to apply to everyone regardless of rank or position.

MkIndy7 - 21/5/08 at 04:06 PM

Shame they weren't about to finish their shift or their way to or from the sandwich/takeaway shop.. they'd have had the Blues and Two's on then!

mr henderson - 21/5/08 at 04:40 PM

quote:
Both of my recent threads have not been police bashing...

They just seem that way.

BenB - 21/5/08 at 05:02 PM

How's about this for a moral of the story-

-kids are vulnerable
-letting your kids charge around an estate at almost midnight is dangerous for their health
-if /when they get injured / killed you can't transfer all your guilt for negligently looking after your children onto some other person....

Let's face it, the kid will be potrayed as a little angel "who always wanted to go to college" etc etc and the entire shedload of blame will be offloaded onto the police.

Of course this will totally ignore the fact that she was pegging it round an estate at almost midnight, and if she was a perfect angel "who always wanted to go to college" then WTF hadn't the parents made sure she was at home and in bed rather than being at risk.

If her parents hadn't done such a negligent job she'd still be alive.....

Harsh but true... But of course we don't live in a society prepared to be bothered enough to expend the energy it takes to actually bring up children....

ravingfool - 21/5/08 at 05:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MkIndy7
Shame they weren't about to finish their shift or their way to or from the sandwich/takeaway shop.. they'd have had the Blues and Two's on then!

LOL

finally had to post because I ran out of popcorn

Whatever the ins and outs, it's certainly a shame that a young girl has died. But I blame the parents.

turbodisplay - 21/5/08 at 09:59 PM

We don`t live in a police state, for example you cannot go to jail for something you have read, oh sorry you can.

Darren

mr henderson - 22/5/08 at 06:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by turbodisplay
We don`t live in a police state, for example you cannot go to jail for something you have read, oh sorry you can.

Darren

Bit of explanation required there, first about going to jail for something you have read, and secondly, do you actually believe we are living in a police state? Do you really believe that?

MikeRJ - 22/5/08 at 09:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DorsetStrider however I have little doubt on past experience that this will either be swept under the carpet or the officer concerned will be let off with a wrist slapping

No chance whatsoever. Even if the evidence shows that the officer was not negligent, it will probably be the end of his TrafPol career. If he was negligent he will be prosecuted.

DorsetStrider - 22/5/08 at 02:47 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DorsetStrider however I have little doubt on past experience that this will either be swept under the carpet or the officer concerned will be let off with a wrist slapping

No chance whatsoever. Even if the evidence shows that the officer was not negligent, it will probably be the end of his TrafPol career. If he was negligent he will be prosecuted.

Anyone remember the case of the officer test driving his new car (vauxhall vectra?) at 157 MPH on the motorway with no blues and twos who was given a stupidly lenient sentence?

[Edited on 22/5/08 by DorsetStrider]

mistergrumpy - 22/5/08 at 05:11 PM

quote:

For the record I applied to join the police force several years ago... I withdraw my application 3 months later after seeing the direction the country was heading in.

You withdrew your application because of the way the country was going? So you turned down the opportunity of actually contributing and doing something about it?
Either way I imagine that your application would have been withdrawn for you based on your attitude shown on this thread.

mr henderson - 22/5/08 at 05:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
quote:

You withdrew your application because of the way the country was going? So you turned down the opportunity of actually contributing and doing something about it?
Either way I imagine that your application would have been withdrawn for you based on your attitude shown on this thread.

I was thinking something along those lines, but was too shy to say so

scootz - 22/5/08 at 06:11 PM

I assume that you are the middle one of the 5 tits in your avatar!

DorsetStrider - 23/5/08 at 02:43 AM

No my application was accepted.

Who said I don't contribute? I just contribute in a different manor. Seeing the way the country was going I was not comfortable with the prospect of using the "I was only following orders" defense.

Scootz I will not lower myself to name calling and personal insults so baiting me is only a waste of your time.

Macbeast - 23/5/08 at 05:29 AM

Police State ?

It depends what you mean by police state but -

You can be held without charge for 28 days and senior police want to extend this to 48 days

You can be convicted of downloading and reading (bomb-making) information from the internet even if they can't prove intention to use it.

CCTV cameras can track your car wherever it goes (except when it's stolen apparently)

The police can already demand details of your cellphone calls and there is a proposal to record details of all your landline calls and internet surfing

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck its name is probably Donald.

( I have no problem with individual rank and file police )

MikeRJ - 23/5/08 at 07:48 AM

quote:

Anyone remember the case of the officer test driving his new car (vauxhall vectra?) at 157 MPH on the motorway with no blues and twos who was given a stupidly lenient sentence?

I certainly do, but unless my memory is playing tricks I don't recall any members of the public getting killed or even injured.

If a MOP is involved in a police incident, then it will be examined in the closest detail, not only by the Police but also the IPCC. Be assured that if the Officer driving the car has done anything wrong the IPCC will not let it go.

By the way, the estate from which these little darlings are from is pretty much the crime hotspot of Tyneside, and residents are all extremely anti-police. I'm familiar with similar areas in my own city, and you couldn't trust a thing that most of the inhabitants say. I have even seen scrotes walk out in front of police cars during a chase just to try and slow them down. I'm not implying that's what happened in this case, but you can be pretty sure that the statements made in the story by the scrotes have zero credibility.

It's already been proven that the car did have it's headlights on at the time of the incident, so what else are they lying about?

mr henderson - 23/5/08 at 07:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
Police State ?

It depends what you mean by police state but -

You can be held without charge for 28 days and senior police want to extend this to 48 days

You can be convicted of downloading and reading (bomb-making) information from the internet even if they can't prove intention to use it.

CCTV cameras can track your car wherever it goes (except when it's stolen apparently)

The police can already demand details of your cellphone calls and there is a proposal to record details of all your landline calls and internet surfing

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck its name is probably Donald.

( I have no problem with individual rank and file police )

If you want to say that the government has got the balance between individual and community freedoms wrong (for instance, the freedom to download bomb making instructions versus the freedom to be not blown up) then you should say that.

You should not suggest that the UK is a police state. Such a claim is beyond ridiculous. For more information on the subject of police states
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_state

scootz - 23/5/08 at 07:57 AM

Just so I understand your point...

There's around 90,000 police officers in the UK, and you've lost all respect for the whole organisation because of the actions of a tiny minority?

So disgusted are you with this tiny minority that you are prepared to pounce on any reported hearsay and claim it as fact in order to add weight to your agenda of Police bashing.

You then use this to make childish claims about us living in a Police State and suggesting that mob-rule would be a better alternative.

What about the 37 Officers murdered over the last two decades whilst in the line of duty.

I can't find figures of those who were killed in other circumstances whilst on duty (accidents), but I know it's a good deal more.

And what about the numbers of Officers SERIOUSLY injured in the line of duty - we're definately into the hundreds and possibly into the thousands.

As I said before, I'm not a Police apologist - I've dealt with some great Police staff, and I've been unfortunate enough to deal with some very poor Police staff... I do, however, have a degree of maturity that allows me to accept this.

People like you make me puke. You, and those like you, will eventually bring this country to its knees with your crass stupidity.

oldtimer - 23/5/08 at 08:10 AM

Tragedies like this accident really seem to polalize us all into 2 groups: The 'I hate the police' and the 'Hey, they're only trying to do their job' factions. I hope the police car had working recording equipment so the real evidence can be proved one way or the other.

Police cars should not do 100mph through residential areas whilst looking for a stolen car, it's dangerous. It could be that he wasn't doing 100mph, we don't know yet. When I was a firtefighter we would receive endless complaints for driving through residential areas under blues and twos, so we were informed to switch off - even when we didn't feel it was safe to.

In our fire engine we would be called out to estates for non existant emergencies to be pelted with stones - very demoralising. Children apparently deep in conversation would walk out infront of us on emergency calls just to cause near- or actual- accidents and run off laughing. IT HAPPENS. None us us know what happened in this case yet.

Police state? I don't really think so. I suppose the people injured and the families of those killed in the London bombings wish the police had had more powers, not less. If there were no gangs causing trouble the police wouldn't be there. If cars weren't stolen the police wouldn't be looking for them, or persuing them. CCTV it has a role. 28 days for questioning (with the approval of a judge) may not be enough when the law allows us to remain silent.

I have been on the receiving end of complaints from the public about speed used during an emergency call. People don't like it unless they are the recipient of that help. People whose family are trapped in a burning building do not want you doing 30mph and waiting at traffic lights - they want you now, now, now....

This poor girl has tragicly lost her life, her family must be shattered. She could have been home at that time of night , but she wasn't. The police officer may be in shock too, his career over possibly, emotionally damaged too? - probably. There is no 'winner' only loosers.

Macbeast - 23/5/08 at 08:15 AM

Wikipedia -

The term police state is a term for a state in which the government exercises rigid and repressive controls over the social, economic and political life of the population, especially by means of a secret police force which operates outside the boundaries normally imposed by a constitutional republic. A police state typically exhibits elements of totalitarianism and social control, and there is usually little or no distinction between the law and the exercise of political power by the executive.

Sounds about right, apart from "secret" don't you think ?

But if it makes you happier - I think that the government has got the balance between individual and community freedoms wrong.

mr henderson - 23/5/08 at 08:32 AM

quote:
Wikipedia -

The term police state is a term for a state in which the government exercises rigid and repressive controls over the social, economic and political life of the population, especially by means of a secret police force which operates outside the boundaries normally imposed by a constitutional republic. A police state typically exhibits elements of totalitarianism and social control, and there is usually little or no distinction between the law and the exercise of political power by the executive.

No I don't. And the 'secret' is a big part of it. The police force in this country is not secret.

There is no part of your quote from the Wikipedia article that fits this country.

trogdor - 23/5/08 at 09:39 AM

quote:

When I was a firtefighter we would receive endless complaints for driving through residential areas under blues and twos, so we were informed to switch off - even when we didn't feel it was safe to.

I can't believe that people would actually complain about sirens and lights! is totally mad! i used to live in southampton along one of the main streets out of the city. Not kidding we would hear sirens going pass about 5 times a day. We were also close to the A&E hospital. People used to find it amusing when they stayed over but not once would i consider complaining about it. They are there for such an obvious reason.

MikeRJ - 23/5/08 at 11:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by trogdor
I can't believe that people would actually complain about sirens and lights!

That's not the worst of it. Somewhere not too far from me (certainly not far enough), scum have been setting fire to cars, and then throwing stones and bricks at the firemen when they turn up. It really makes me sick that people like this not only exist at all, but are rapidly growing in numbers.

Liberal fools would say that they are a product of society, anyone with an ounce of sense knows they are mainly product of parents who don't care and a pathetic law system that is powerless to touch them.

mr henderson - 23/5/08 at 11:39 AM

quote:
mainly product of parents who don't care and a pathetic law system that is powerless to touch them.

This is absolutely true, and funnily enough, if we did live in a police state then the police certainly would have the powers to 'touch' them (or much worse), but we don't.

Paul TigerB6 - 23/5/08 at 03:10 PM

quote:
Wikipedia -

Nahhhh - they just tax us all into submission in this country dont they!!