Board logo

so... is the world ending tomorrow?
blakep82 - 9/9/08 at 09:06 PM

hmm, can't do a poll here for some reason...

what do you reckon. i think this whole experiment they're doing won't amount to much.

still, you never know...

charlierevell - 9/9/08 at 09:09 PM

Im more concerned its headed up by a member of D R E A M....

Paul TigerB6 - 9/9/08 at 09:10 PM

The world will be fine.........but if its not at least nobody can tell me tomorrow night i was wrong!! There's always a bright side to everything if you look!!

blakep82 - 9/9/08 at 09:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
The world will be fine.........but if its not at least nobody can tell me tomorrow night i was wrong!! There's always a bright side to everything if you look!!

ha ha thats what i was going to say. couldn't think of the right way to word it

Hellfire - 9/9/08 at 09:17 PM

No, the world won't end tomorrow (Wednesday). They're hoping to get a proton beam to travel around the full circumference of the LHC tunnel. When/if this is successful, they will eventually get two beams travelling in opposite directions and then try slamming them together.

In conclusion, it will possibly be Thursday or maybe even Friday before the world ends...............

Phil

Dickyboy - 9/9/08 at 09:19 PM

I've cancelled the milk, no sense in wasting money!! Maybe we'll all be sucked through to a parallel universe

LBMEFM - 9/9/08 at 09:19 PM

No no no no, not yet please, I have spent all that money and still have not driven my car yet.

blakep82 - 9/9/08 at 09:22 PM

soooooo they're trying to recreate the start of the solar system by banging two proton beams into each other. it happened once billions of years ago, and prsumably not happened since round here?

don't fancy their chances much

TGR-ECOSSE - 9/9/08 at 09:29 PM

Just incase, i only put enough diesel in the Land Rover to last till the weekend

charlierevell - 9/9/08 at 09:35 PM

Ok... so the magnets get tested tomo to see if it all works.
I'm intrigued.... Lets hope it doesnt work so they dont play around with it much longer!!

austin man - 9/9/08 at 09:38 PM

best be waiting for all the red bill before I consider paying out. Should I cancel my physio on Friday ????

Did hear some loud bangs tonight eerie

blakep82 - 9/9/08 at 09:42 PM

if the whole universe is sucked into a blackhole, i wonder what it would be like? will there be any crazy noise? will you see it coming towards you? or will it just be instant? or would just switzerland and france disappear?

hillbillyracer - 9/9/08 at 09:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
if the whole universe is sucked into a blackhole, i wonder what it would be like? will there be any crazy noise? will you see it coming towards you? or will it just be instant? or would just switzerland and france disappear?

That's no good, I hear Switzerland is nice for a holiday & we'd have to get our cheap diesel cars from somewhere else!

MikeR - 9/9/08 at 09:48 PM

if the world ends, it ends but what they're doing tomorrow isn't going to be the cause (unless aliens use this as the test for if we're dangerous or not and then come and kick but)

JoelP - 9/9/08 at 09:52 PM

the black hole idea is harmless. Ridiculous in fact, it would have negligable mass even if it sucked france in.

Stranglets i havent looking into so wont comment on

blakep82 - 9/9/08 at 09:54 PM

i had my fingers crossed for france

Mark G - 9/9/08 at 09:54 PM

I'm gonna make my mind up on this one later in the week...

DRC INDY 7 - 9/9/08 at 10:10 PM

No its not going to end tomorrow because its the yorkshire meet tomorrow at the angel inn at ackworth

trikerneil - 9/9/08 at 10:16 PM

Build your own LHC for £250,000,000
The manual is HERE to give you some ideas.

Neil

clairetoo - 9/9/08 at 10:17 PM

It had better not end tomorrow
The weather man say's it's going to be a nice day

balidey - 9/9/08 at 10:18 PM

Will it end tomorow? Just a coincedence that the date and time will be

10/09/08 07:06:05

Dare I guess that longitude and latitude of the accelerator has something to do with 4,3,2,1

blakep82 - 9/9/08 at 10:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
It had better not end tomorrow
The weather man say's it's going to be a nice day

remember that time micheal fish said there was no storm heading to britain?

johnston - 9/9/08 at 10:53 PM

didnt nostradamus say something about geneva being linked till the end of the earth and thatrs where the machine is?????

(might be wrong on the place but def read the machine was in same place thingmebob reckoned it would all start to end)

blakep82 - 9/9/08 at 10:55 PM

nostradamus says a lot of things. doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut

ReMan - 9/9/08 at 11:24 PM

Steven Haking says there is a 1% chance of it achieving what it set out todo, let alone finish us off

Omni - 9/9/08 at 11:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Steven Haking says there is a 1% chance of it achieving what it set out todo, let alone finish us off

Feckin' better odds than the damn lottery though!!! lol

O

RK - 10/9/08 at 01:44 AM

1% was enough to put me off laser eye surgery. That was the "failure rate". Not good odds...

russbost - 10/9/08 at 06:33 AM

Well, we'll be alright for a week or 2, they are only sending the photon beams around the ring to start with, they're not crashing them into one another.

BBC newsreader on whether it could create a black hole & blow us all to bits - "there's no danger, if it created a black hole it would only be for a fraction of a second"
Ummmm ..... how long did the big bang take - ahhh ... that was a fraction of a second, should be fine then!!

theconrodkid - 10/9/08 at 06:39 AM

i,m ready,got some crisps and ive signaled the vogon constructor fleet,just got to walk my dog and put the rubbish out.....should i pay the gas bill ?

Guinness - 10/9/08 at 06:44 AM

I know that having a little sportscar isn't exactly environmentally friendly, but I've just insulated my loft, insulated under my floors, fitted low energy light bulbs, all in an effort to reduce my carbon footprint.

Does anyone know how much power this thing needs? I'm guessing it's not running on a 13amp plug / extension lead?

Cheers

Mike

Mr Whippy - 10/9/08 at 06:49 AM

Even if they did create a blackhole and it wasn’t travelling fast enough to just fly of into space, it would probably be weeks if not months before it was consuming enough to notice…then they’d be huge earthquakes, new mountain ranges would rise out the ground, the sea would start to flood the land since it does cover 3/4 ‘s of the shrinking surface, not to mention the rather large tidal waves. Near the end the air pressure would be much higher as the atmosphere got deeper and deeper, course the winds would be furious as the earths rotation speeds up as it shrinks. Finally the two ejector jets coming from the poles of the black hole would blast through the surface close to the speed of light vaporising everything in their paths and the ground, air and sea freefall in to the blackness below, the nothing but a black ball the size of a pea.

Personally I’d give it a miss…

dave1888 - 10/9/08 at 06:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Even if they did create a blackhole and it wasn’t travelling fast enough to just fly of into space, it would probably be weeks if not months before it was consuming enough to notice…then they’d be huge earthquakes, new mountain ranges would rise out the ground, the sea would start to flood the land since it does cover 3/4 ‘s of the shrinking surface, not to mention the rather large tidal waves. Near the end the air pressure would be much higher as the atmosphere got deeper and deeper, course the winds would be furious as the earths rotation speeds up as it shrinks. Finally the two ejector jets coming from the poles of the black hole would blast through the surface close to the speed of light vaporising everything in their paths and the ground, air and sea freefall in to the blackness below, the nothing but a black ball the size of a pea.

so i guess we're doomed then

jabbahutt - 10/9/08 at 07:17 AM

do you think we'll get much notice if it goes pear shaped?

I haven't got to drive my car yet so if it's going to get dragged towards Switzerland at a rapid rate I'm wondering if I'd have time to get home push it onto the drive and strap in.

If I did would I have the world record for the fastest home built car

Agriv8 - 10/9/08 at 07:36 AM

The black hole has not got to Bradford Yet ( not sure if id notice if it did ) but I would say

First time it has not rained for the last 3 months ( so keep the thing Switched on I say )

Regards

Agriv8

scudderfish - 10/9/08 at 07:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

Now that would make a memorable November 5th!

Mr Whippy - 10/9/08 at 08:08 AM

ever wondered why no aliens have visited the earth...? no doubt there are probably millions of little black balls floating through space

matt_claydon - 10/9/08 at 08:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
Does anyone know how much power this thing needs? I'm guessing it's not running on a 13amp plug / extension lead?

As far as the machine itself is concerned - cryogenics (keeping the damn thing cold) use about 27.5 Megawatts and the experiments about 22 MW.

If it were running on 240 Volts that would be 206250 Amps, requiring 15866 separate 13A plugs

If you include all the supporting stuff like lab heating/lighting, computers, etc it's estimated the total is about 120 MW.

[Edited on 10/9/08 by matt_claydon]

Mr Whippy - 10/9/08 at 08:17 AM

and there's me being good and fitting energy saving bulbs in the house

iank - 10/9/08 at 08:23 AM

The beam is half way round according to radio 4 - ahead of schedule.

Switch on wasn't very media friendly if you were listening.

Nothing, nothing, concerned sounding frenchman talking quietly, nothing, flash on a monitor lots of suddenly very relieved sounding scientists cracking open a bottle of bubbly as the beam went round the first 3km.

balidey - 10/9/08 at 08:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by matt_claydon
quote:

As far as the machine itself is concerned - cryogenics (keeping the damn thing cold) use about 27.5 Megawatts and the experiments about 22 MW.

If it were running on 240 Volts that would be 206250 Amps, requiring 15866 separate 13A plugs

If you include all the supporting stuff like lab heating/lighting, computers, etc it's estimated the total is about 120 MW.

Sorry, all I can think of is Prof Brown

quote:

No, no, no, no, no. This sucker's electrical. But I need a nuclear reaction to generate the 1.21 jigawatts of electricity I need

martyn_16v - 10/9/08 at 08:32 AM

I'll bet you any amount of cash we're still here next week

There are far more dangerous things in the world than the LHC. France and Russia's ageing fleet of nuclear reactors, George Bush's finger within 3 miles of the big red button...

Guinness - 10/9/08 at 08:33 AM

Even Google are getting in on the act:-

Johnny Walker played REM's "It's the end of the world as we know it" at half eight too!

Mike

Mr Whippy - 10/9/08 at 08:35 AM

Assuming that it doesn’t destroy the earth and it found that partial, will it be turned into a giant fair ground ride or metro system? I’d image you’d lay on your back, maybe on a skateboard holding a lump of iron and then get dragged around at mach II by the magnets, quite good fun

Guinness - 10/9/08 at 08:45 AM

I've just checked Geneva on Google Earth!

Whoops!

Mike

Mr Whippy - 10/9/08 at 08:55 AM

All seems a bit familiar…

Phil.J - 10/9/08 at 09:11 AM

I think the date of the turn on is more significant:
10-9-8..................!

balidey - 10/9/08 at 09:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Phil.J
I think the date of the turn on is more significant:
10-9-8..................!

I posted that a little higher up the posts.

At 07:06:05 that only left the 4,3,2,1 to go

Agriv8 - 10/9/08 at 10:00 AM

all those Mw's thats a lot of 50p's for the meter !!!!!

Regards

Agriv8

BenB - 10/9/08 at 10:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by matt_claydon
quote:

that's why I thought it was amusing when the "expert" on TV this AM said they could use it to transmute other materials into fissile materials for using in nuclear reactors.

Surely a physicist would understand the basic laws of physics re energy in / energy out. consider the juice that that baby takes I very much doubt you could transmute enough stuff to make even half the energy required to create the fissile material in the first place (unless I'm missing out on something really obvious here!!!!)....

iank - 10/9/08 at 10:18 AM

Handy web site to monitor the situation...

http://www.hasthelhcdestroyedtheearth.com/

Mr Whippy - 10/9/08 at 10:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by iank
Handy web site to monitor the situation...

http://www.hasthelhcdestroyedtheearth.com/

thats amazing, how does it work!??

Marcus - 10/9/08 at 11:54 AM

The problem is that we're already in the black hole going down the tubes, but due to the time compression experienced, all seems well to us. To an observer outside the universe, we no longer exist. It may be a number of years till we notice the effects so screw the planet up all you like our fate is already determined

Mr Whippy - 10/9/08 at 12:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
The problem is that we're already in the black hole going down the tubes, but due to the time compression experienced, all seems well to us. To an observer outside the universe, we no longer exist. It may be a number of years till we notice the effects so screw the planet up all you like our fate is already determined

I'd ask what you have been reading but don't want to know

iank - 11/9/08 at 08:57 AM

CERN Webcams - interesting stuff

http://www.cyriak.co.uk/lhc/lhc-webcams.html