Board logo

Petrol Pump Mounting
Nosey - 18/12/08 at 10:32 AM

Do you think rubber mounts would be necessary for this pump or could I chance it without (I'm slightly caught for space where I am mounting it)?

Petrol Pump
Petrol Pump

DarrenW - 18/12/08 at 10:33 AM

If you are tight for space a strip of rubber betwen the mounting and chassis wont hurt. Otherwise you could get a bit of noise transmitted when its operating.

Mr Whippy - 18/12/08 at 10:37 AM

clamp it in place and switch it on. Then decide how long you can stand the ticking. I lasted 2 days

02GF74 - 18/12/08 at 10:57 AM

I lasted 8 years and still going - it is under the drivers seat in my land rover - transmission and engine noise drowns it out.

It is quite noticeable though - I wasn't aware of the need to fit isolation rubbers but may have a go at doing that.

Although the pump in the photo has earth lead (black wire) I think some may be earthed via the pump's body so be aware of that when fitting. (probably the earlier model)

tegwin - 18/12/08 at 11:08 AM

Those facet style pumps are NOISY.... Would it shake itself to bits if its rigidly mounted?

Nosey - 18/12/08 at 11:11 AM

Cheers boys. It's a competition car so if I am listening to the ticking I think it means I amn't trying hard enough.....

Mr Whippy - 18/12/08 at 11:18 AM

I fitted mine to the GRP footwell on the falcon and it sounded like someone whacking the car with a screwdriver!

Dusty - 18/12/08 at 11:45 AM

That pre-filter is the spawn of the devil. Contains a sprung plastic or ceramic ball of some sort and it will block. Took me over a year of faffing around to finally work out why the car randomly stopped on motorways or going down to tesco, would restart after a minute or two and would then do 500 more miles without any trouble at all. Since I drilled a hole straight through it and added a £1 inline filter all has been well.

DarrenW - 18/12/08 at 12:09 PM

Inteesting what has been posted. A previous neighbour of mine had a classic car, upgraded fuel pump to one similar to pic. Could defo hear it when he fired it up. He said a mod one day was to fit rubber mounts.

Filters - i recall a trackday once where a LCB member had issues with similar pre-filter. All i have is a cheapo filter before the pump and another just before the carbs. Work great. Search through Halfords shelves and you should find a large bodied inline filter for only a few £'s. I did use a smaller one but it got bunged up (after first 6 months on road some drillings from fitting sender unit worked their way through).

stu da rude - 18/12/08 at 12:53 PM

They are noisy mate, i run the exact same pump on my A30, and even with the isolation rubbers its still apparent even when running.

02GF74 - 18/12/08 at 01:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dusty
That pre-filter is the spawn of the devil. Contains a sprung plastic or ceramic ball of some sort and it will block. Took me over a year of faffing around to finally work out why the car randomly stopped on motorways or going down to tesco, would restart after a minute or two and would then do 500 more miles without any trouble at all.

hmmm, not sure about that. the pump has some spring loaded ball but the filter I believe is a gauze.

I had same problem with the lightweight choking when trying to get about 15 mph.

bascially the rust particles and sand that were in the fuel tank block the filter. I remove, tap the filter so the bits fall out, refit and off I go again. I then drained and flushed both tanks.

Not had a problem since.

The facet filters are quire £££ too - I got a few from walmart in US as there is some production car that uses them.

IMO not worth bothering replacing but fit a plastic inline filter - cheaper and you can see if it is getting blocked.

ernie - 18/12/08 at 05:14 PM

Try burton part no fsepf 805 in line filter. you can see all the rubbish coming thru and is easily cleaned out